Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2012, 08:14 AM   #1
chuckdallas
Tank Tinkerer

Keeping a Maroon Clown in a 5-gal Home Depot bucket for 6 hours?

I'm trying to sell or trade away my Maroon Clown on Saturday at the West Palm Beach PBMAS Frag Swap. I know that when you buy a fish at the LFS, they always throw some plain O2 (straight oxygen) into the top of the bag so you can transport it home without having to rush it back to your tank right away.

Is it okay to transport a Maroon Clown in a large 5 gallon Home Depot bucket from Miami to West Palm with the possibility that the fish won't be back in a tank for 5-6 hours? I know they add O2 for the tiny hand carried bags they place fish in because there is so little water in the those small bags, so I'm thinking that one 4 inch Maroon in 3-4 gallons of the tank water in a Home Depot bucket will be fine for 4-6 hours. Is that right?

Current Tank Info: No tank, no fish, no coral :(
chuckdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

If you have a battery operated air pump I'd suggest using that to add some extra O2 to the bucket.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 08:24 AM   #3
moogoomoogoo
Premium Member

I had fish in water in coolers with battery powdered airstones for over 24 hours and no problems when I moved. Try to keep it from getting too hot or cold.

Unread 03/29/2012, 08:32 AM   #4
BigCountry74
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogoomoogoo View Post
Try to keep it from getting too hot or cold.
x2

Current 40g reef
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2483250

Current Tank Info: 40g bare bottom reef
BigCountry74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 08:36 AM   #5
chuckdallas
Tank Tinkerer

Thanks SugarMagnolia. I DO have a Belkin adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter of the truck and has a 3 prong plug for appliances that use 120V AC and I have a 120V AC air pump with two air stones, so I can pump air into the bucket while I'm driving to the Frag Swap 1.5 hours north of where I live. Now, just to keep the temp right.....Well, it's 75-90 degrees in Miami depending on the day, so maybe I just go without AC in the truck for the ride up.

Current Tank Info: No tank, no fish, no coral :(
chuckdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 09:15 AM   #6
anbosu
Registered Member

Unless you run your a/c at 60 degrees in your truck the fish should be fine.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 11:27 AM   #7
nrbelk
Registered Member

is there a lid on the bucket? If not, I also think it would be fine. If you get worried, agitate the surface to help gas exchange.

nrbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 01:00 PM   #8
dzfish17
Registered Member

I dont think you could kill a maroon clown on a long trip if you wanted too because they are tough as nails but I would do like the others said and add an air stone. I also like to tape a piece of plastic as a cover so the fish cant jump out... be sure to poke some holes in it though.

Unread 03/29/2012, 01:13 PM   #9
ken55
A wing and a prayer

Ok so BaitBoy speaks up. If you want to keep a continuous supply of air (once you leave the vehicle and are walking around) go to walmart sporting goods dept. Fishing section (will be heavily stocked this time of year). Look for "Bubbles in a Box" by Frabile. It runs off two D batteries for hours at a time. Just pop your own airstone onto the end of the airtube. The box has a clip that you can easily sit on the rim of the bucket. Good to Go!!!

I plead the 5th as to how I know this