Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2015, 06:44 PM   #1
bcracer5
Registered Member

Over flow basics - Please Help

I am starting a new reef build. Hopefully I dont **** everyone off, but I have been through many pages throughout the forum to even remember. I am sure the information is probably out there, but wow information overload. So I have decided to start a thread specific to my project.

Tank – 65 gal (36X18X24)
Sump – Trigger Systems Ruby 36s (36X15X16) – Total water volume 34.5 gallons

What I liked to do:

Build an external overflow with a Bean Animal, the overflow box to be 20” wide located in the center of the tank “ on the back”)

Questions:
1. Do I notch the tank from the top – What dimensions?
2. Or - Should I drill holes out the back of the tank. If so what size, how many and where in relation to desired water level.
3. How deep should the overflow be – what dimensions?
4. What size drain lines?
5. What determines the water level with this type of design?
6. What size pump for the desired 10X turn over?
7. If you want to paint the back of your tank black – what do you paint it with and how do you get the silicone to stick to the paint when you mount your overflow box?

I am sure there are more questions that need to ask (feel free to suggest), but I will start here and see where the information goes. Thanks everyone for your support, I just want to get the basics right the first time and be able to enjoy the project.

bcracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 09:44 PM   #2
sleepydoc
Registered Member

Just posted the same reply in the bean thread...

Is it a rimless tank or a rimmed tank? You can notch the tank or drill holes. Most people do the latter, since it's hard to make the notch look good. If it's a rimmed tank, definitely drill holes - the rim is required for structural stability.

How much flow are you going to be running? That determines the rest of the answers. In general, a 1" pipe can flow 1500-2000 gph, or more, depending on the drop, so 1" will be plenty for you siphon. The open channel may benefit from being slightly larger simply because a larger pipe will be able to handle a wider range of flows while remaining silent.

Water level in the tank is determined by the overflow weir. Water level in the overflow is determined by the gate valve on the siphon line and the height of the open channel drain.

You can use plain latex paint to paint the tank. It won't stick very well and will be prone to scratching. Or you can use a black background like you can get at pet stores. Do it after you put the box on the back. silicone will stick to the paint, but the paint won't stick to the glass and the box will fall off. Paint won't stick to silicone.

Your pump is determined by how much flow you want, the plumbing, and anything else you want to run off the pump.

Unread 07/24/2015, 02:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Questions:
1. Do I notch the tank from the top – What dimensions?
2. Or - Should I drill holes out the back of the tank. If so what size, how many and where in relation to desired water level.
3. How deep should the overflow be – what dimensions?
4. What size drain lines?
5. What determines the water level with this type of design?
6. What size pump for the desired 10X turn over?
7. If you want to paint the back of your tank black – what do you paint it with and how do you get the silicone to stick to the paint when you mount your overflow box?

1. I would not notch the tank at all

2. You will need 2 holes for the BH to attach the 2 boxes together

3. Up to you

4. I would use 1"

5. The bottom of the teeth on the "inside" overflow

6. Paint it with a latex paint and no you will not be silicone anything to the back

You'll need two of these overflow boxes, one with the teeth for the inside and a plain one for the outside and you will need the 2 BH's to attach the 2 boxes together - of course the box will have the 4 sides and a bottom

hth

Current Tank Info: 225gal diy 60"x36"x24"
1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 07:43 AM   #4
bcracer5
Registered Member

WOW - Thanks for such quick replies...
The tank is "Rimmed".
As far as flow Rate that's another question I need answered...how much should I be running for saltwater (Fish & corals) and i assume this will lead to what pump.

Is there any way to set up the tank with the overflow on the back "outside" and eliminate the weir on the inside? My goal is to get as much out of the tank as possible???

bcracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2015, 01:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Doesn't matter if the tank is rimmed, top brace or ....

You need the internal box for the surface skimming, other wise you could just use 2 BH with elbows turned up for the drains. But you'll get a lot of snails and other stuff you don't want in the drain

For the return pump, you could use a mag 9.5 but for flow you need PH's (power heads)

Current Tank Info: 225gal diy 60"x36"x24"
1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Bmplank86
Registered Member

Surface skimming is important

Bmplank86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bean animal, external overflow, overflow