Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/02/2008, 10:34 PM   #1
aslavatortin
Registered Member

Is too much (light) of a good thing a bad thing?

The tank is a 110 high (48"L x 18" D x 30" H) and will contain SPS. The tank is currently cycling with the following lights retrofitted into the canopy: 2 x 400 W 10K Mogul Halides on a dual magnetic ballast, 4 x 96 W 450 nm power compacts, 4 x 65 W Actinic power compacts, and 12 x 1 W LED moonlights. I had all of this laying around unused from previous tanks and decided to use all of it to make a killer SPS tank. I lined the inside (top and sides) of the canopy with reflector-like material and I am using cheap parabolic reflectors on the halides. Heat and cost notwithstanding, is there any reason I can't use all of that in a 30" high SPS tank? The more the better as long as I maintain proper temps, right?

I still have one 400 W halide w/ accompanying magnetic ballast that I would like to add to the center of the canopy but the tank has a plastic cross-brace right there: how can I proceed with that?

Thanks

aslavatortin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2008, 10:43 PM   #2
treefer
Registered Member

i take it you don't pay your electric bill? lol, just adjust your corals to it slowly

Unread 06/02/2008, 10:47 PM   #3
aslavatortin
Registered Member

I pay it, although begrudgingly. I figure energy costs are already outrageous and we moved into a new house so my wife isn't used to the new bill yet. I saw an opportunity and capitalized on it...ahh, the American way.

Unread 06/02/2008, 11:02 PM   #4
aslavatortin
Registered Member

I just did the math and running all of the lights together for 12 hours a day will add ~ $35/month to the electric bill. Keep in mind though that she had already accepted the cost of using all of those lights previously on other tanks, now I have just condensed my operation into one tank.

So how can I add that third 400 W halide over the cross-brace?

Unread 06/02/2008, 11:45 PM   #5
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Really is no reason to run 3 400watt Mh lights over that tank.. Infact since its only 18 wide and your using spider reflectors your probably already wasting alot of light.. Canopy will help a little though. I understand what your saying, Since you have them why not use them. But really with that tank there is no good way to run that many lights over it. I think you would probably have some heat issues also.. I'd just keep the 3rd mh Ballast as a back up.. I always keep a spare ballast and bulb incase I have one go out on me.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Current Tank Info: Custom Starfire 300,92Gallon,35 Gallon Hex,Two 40Gallons,125Gallon,
8BALL_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2008, 07:01 AM   #6
aslavatortin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 8BALL_99
Really is no reason to run 3 400watt Mh lights over that tank.. Infact since its only 18 wide and your using spider reflectors your probably already wasting alot of light.. Canopy will help a little though. I understand what your saying, Since you have them why not use them. But really with that tank there is no good way to run that many lights over it. I think you would probably have some heat issues also.. I'd just keep the 3rd mh Ballast as a back up.. I always keep a spare ballast and bulb incase I have one go out on me.
Thanks, that's a good idea.

Unread 06/03/2008, 07:50 AM   #7
RichConley
Registered Member

DItch the PCs and get some real reflectors.

What are you paying for kwhs? That would cost me way more than $35.

Unread 06/03/2008, 10:15 AM   #8
ReefNOut
Moved On

If the brace is only a few inches wide you can put the light a few inches above it and the reflector should do its works shooting the light around it or if you are getting good coverage just use the 2.

ReefNOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2008, 11:29 AM   #9
aslavatortin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
DItch the PCs and get some real reflectors.

What are you paying for kwhs? That would cost me way more than $35.
$.0805/kwh x {[(2x400w) + (4x96w) + (12x1w)]/1000} x (12 hours) x (30 days)=$34.66/mo

Sorry, I neglected to mention that I calculated that number without the addition of the third halide; also minus the 4 x 65w's.

With the additional 260 w of pc's, the total rises to $42.19/mo; when you throw in that final 400w halide it rises to $53.79! I've messed around with it some today and the 260 w don't really change the appearance at all so I'm taking those off, which, if I add the third halide, will net me a total bill of $46.26.

But, let's say I do ditch the PC's altogether (which would suck considering the amount of effort I just put into retrofitting that canopy), and went with the 1200 w of halides and the 12 1w LED's. The bill for that would only be $35.12, so I like that idea.

The inside dimensions of the canopy are 48"L x 20" D x 11" H, what "real" reflectors can fit in that? For what it's worth, both 400 w halides and all 4 of the 96 w pc's have been on for close to five hours now and the tank temp is stable @ 79.1 degrees with the fans running. Thanks for the input/advice.

Unread 06/03/2008, 11:51 PM   #10
WLachnit
Registered Member

Wow.... We pay $0.32/kwh here in No. Cal.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2008, 04:36 AM   #11
moo0o
Premium Member

yeah...freaking norcal evergy costs are ridiculous.

moo0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2008, 05:08 AM   #12
birdman1979
Registered Member

I would think the two 400 watters with good reflectors would be more than enough with two 96 watters for dawn/dusk. Why not use the remaining equipment for a frag tank?

birdman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2008, 07:30 AM   #13
James77
Registered Member

2-250 watters in good reflectors(lumenarcs or lumenmax) would be enough for the tank. But if my electric was that cheap, I wouldn't really care.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2008, 02:07 PM   #14
aslavatortin
Registered Member

The inside dimensions of the canopy are 48"L x 20" D x 11" H; what are some good reflectors that I can fit in that? I put in the third 400 in the center and the center brace (plastic) was getting too hot for me to feel safe, even with a dedicated fan blowing across it. Is there a reliable way to tell if that center brace is overheating (near melting/weakening)? What about draping a rag over the length of it that hangs into the water, providing liquid cooling by means of capillary action? I know this is overkill, but like I said, I have it all laying around; and like a few of you have said, I don't pay much for electricity.

Thanks