Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2018, 03:05 PM   #1
DiverDave32
Registered Member

Lyretail death in QT

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me. I purchased 4 lyretail anthias yesterday from the local fish store and after acclimating them for 1 hour transferred them to QT. I fed them 4 times small amounts of spirulina brine shrimp which they ate quickly. Today I came home and found 1 dead. The others appear fine and readily accepted food but I am concerned.

I added prime this morning to the QT which I typically do after 24 hours in QT. I am doing TTM and have never lost a fish to date by this method.

Here are a few pics. Do you think the issue is disease and if so should I be treating for anything? The others aren't showing signs of rapid breathing and appear to be behaving normally.

Anything I can do? Any signs I can look for?

Thanks, I am not happy and hope that it is nothing on my side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4160049 (1).jpg (38.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P4160050 (1).jpg (39.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P4160054 (1).jpg (38.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P4160055 (1).jpg (38.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P4160051 (1).jpg (40.3 KB, 10 views)
DiverDave32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 03:45 PM   #2
DiverDave32
Registered Member

1 of the lyretails, seems to be dominant and is picking on the two others, with 1 in particular being the target. They aren't real attacks but will charge the other one which sort of leans over on its side as if being submissive. From what I've read this is normal but should I divide the tank to separate them?

Unread 04/16/2018, 06:30 PM   #3
carrots
Registered Member

Could be uronema. The photos are too small to be sure. Check out the symptoms on the net and see if it matches your fish.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 07:52 PM   #4
DiverDave32
Registered Member

I don't see the red marks that are usually seen with the disease. Only the purplish coloration around the fishes scales. I hope it isn't that! The other three fish are eating well so am keeping my fingers crossed. It's never fun to lose a fish. Thanks for the input, I'll look some more but doesn't seem to be the more usual diseases. The fish also looks quite plump.