Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2015, 03:12 PM   #2226
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Cyanobacteria building up on rock work (probably from over feeding). Did water change because of nitrates, and boom! Dino explosion all on sandbed. Any recommendations?

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 04:03 PM   #2227
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd stop the water changes for the time being, and check into nutrient control. Nutrient control doesn't always work, but it can in some cases. I would guess that the ammonia or trace elements in the salt mix are the cause of the bloom.

Unread 11/23/2015, 04:33 PM   #2228
garygonzales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
Cyanobacteria building up on rock work (probably from over feeding). Did water change because of nitrates, and boom! Dino explosion all on sandbed. Any recommendations?
yea dont do a water change...its been over two months since a did one and im not sure when i might try.........lol.......

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 10:52 PM   #2229
Billybatz9
Registered Member

This damn dinos is making me hate the hobby. Been fighing for 6 months now. Damn! Cant even enjoy what I spend so much money on.

Unread 11/23/2015, 11:39 PM   #2230
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
This damn dinos is making me hate the hobby. Been fighing for 6 months now. Damn! Cant even enjoy what I spend so much money on.
It's tough and patience is hard to come by but it's worth it. I've been through it all and you will come out ahead eventually.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 07:29 AM   #2231
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Cyanobacteria building up on rock work (probably from over feeding). Did water change because of nitrates, and boom! Dino explosion all on sand bed. Any recommendations?
Remove the sand bed, slowly, the dinos love the substrate. It was a major turning point in the battle for me, my battle was @ 14 months but only about 2 months once I went dirty and removed the sand bed. I put a new sand bed in after dinos were gone.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 08:19 AM   #2232
garygonzales
Registered Member

Quote:
did you do the lights out yet ??...

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 02:09 PM   #2233
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
Remove the sand bed, slowly, the dinos love the substrate. It was a major turning point in the battle for me, my battle was @ 14 months but only about 2 months once I went dirty and removed the sand bed. I put a new sand bed in after dinos were gone.
Now the dinos are creeping up on rock work. What do I do about my pistol shrimp, and snails that live in the sand like nassarius and ceriths?

Also, do you think it would be okay to reuse sand if I wash it with RO water? After like 3 weeks of it being in the dark in fresh water? I doubt anything will live.

I just don't want to spend another $40 on sand.

Unread 11/24/2015, 02:10 PM   #2234
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Also, I have sps aND a very nice piece of Hawkins echinata. Will going dirty kill them?

Unread 11/24/2015, 02:10 PM   #2235
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygonzales View Post
did you do the lights out yet ??...
Yeah, it pushes them back, but they always come back like nothing happened.

Unread 11/24/2015, 03:01 PM   #2236
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Now the dinos are creeping up on rock work. What do I do about my pistol shrimp, and snails that live in the sand like nassarius and ceriths?

Also, do you think it would be okay to reuse sand if I wash it with RO water? After like 3 weeks of it being in the dark in fresh water? I doubt anything will live.

I just don't want to spend another $40 on sand.
Remove all but whats under the rocks and in the shadow of the rocks, the pistol and snails will be fine.
If you reuse the sand I would bleach it or boil it to make sure there are no dinos or cysts.

Unread 11/24/2015, 03:03 PM   #2237
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Also, I have sps aND a very nice piece of Hawkins echinata. Will going dirty kill them?
I'm not sure but I think they would just lose some color but should bounce back after.

Unread 11/24/2015, 04:15 PM   #2238
bheron
Registered Member

I know how you feel BillyBatz. Nothing more frustrating than this!!

Thankfully as hoped my cyano has started to tail off. Right now I'm seeing a really cool green algae grow in my tank, not take over. Im assuming this green algae is helping keep the tank in balance?

Here you can see both the cyano and green algae in one shot. I think this is all part of the process to establish and healthy balance of life in my tank:

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 05:37 PM   #2239
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheron View Post

Thankfully as hoped my cyano has started to tail off. Right now I'm seeing a really cool green algae grow in my tank, not take over. Im assuming this green algae is helping keep the tank in balance?

Here you can see both the cyano and green algae in one shot. I think this is all part of the process to establish and healthy balance of life in my tank:

My dinoflagellates algae looks just like yours.

Unread 11/24/2015, 07:40 PM   #2240
karimwassef
Registered Member

Looks more like cyano? Did you look through a microscope?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 08:05 PM   #2241
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheron View Post

I was where you are, lose the sand bed, it's helping the dinos hold on. IMO and IME

Unread 11/24/2015, 09:12 PM   #2242
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Looks more like cyano? Did you look through a microscope?
Looks like that to me to or at least a combo with cyano in there.

I'm almost tempted to blow this off and see if it comes back. It's looking very pathetic. But I think I'll let it sit longer and consume what ever its taking in and die off. It's looking extremely pathetic now.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 11/25/2015, 07:04 PM   #2243
jason2459
Registered Member

Dinos are looking to be on their way out.

Latest parameters taken here
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2541190

Unread 11/25/2015, 11:37 PM   #2244
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
The dino explosion's not surprising. Feel free to blame me. (I figured the high ammonia with no obvious source might get worse and is a problem to all your critters while your dinos aren't immediately toxic as you've had ongoing issues with them.) Did your ammonia drop? I don't change my filter socks at all, but mine aren't 10 micron.

I'm not making fun of you; my tank's N and P crashed and I'm back at the beginning with a lot of dinos. It is crazy-making to not have an enjoyable tank when one is trying to do things right.

Re the dirty method, you're already doing it if your nitrates were that high. What's your phosphate? I have mostly lps and they actually look better after a few weeks of measurable nitrate. Monti caps and my 2 unknowns too.

@bheron Your tank continues to rebalance, I'm glad to see it.
@jason that stuff is definitely dying off!

ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 02:26 AM   #2245
Jewilson83
Registered Member

Can someone help please. I wasn't sure if I had Dino or not. It only grows on my rocks and coral plugs. I've had some SPS frags die from it over growing on their plugs and causing them to recede. It doesn't have the bubbles on the plugs. More like brown fuzz. Here's some pics:
I've tried lights out for 72 hours and it stopped the growth, only to come right back. I've try peroxide 1ml per 10 gallons 2xdaily for the past week. I'm not sure what it could be. I greatly appreciate your help.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon: Coralife Aqualife Pro 492W MH, Proflex Model 3 Refugium Sump, Jabeo WP-25 wavemaker, Bubble Magnus NAC6, Finnex 500W heater w/controller, Mag 9.5 Pump, SPS, LPS, Zoas, RBTAs, Fishes, Shrimps, Crabs, CUC, and Snails
Jewilson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 02:30 AM   #2246
karimwassef
Registered Member

does it blow off or does it take a little rubbing?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 11/27/2015, 02:43 AM   #2247
Jewilson83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
does it blow off or does it take a little rubbing?

It takes rubbing. I have to use a toothbrush. Some areas I can blow off with a turkey baster.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon: Coralife Aqualife Pro 492W MH, Proflex Model 3 Refugium Sump, Jabeo WP-25 wavemaker, Bubble Magnus NAC6, Finnex 500W heater w/controller, Mag 9.5 Pump, SPS, LPS, Zoas, RBTAs, Fishes, Shrimps, Crabs, CUC, and Snails
Jewilson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 03:24 AM   #2248
karimwassef
Registered Member

if it blows off, then it's dinos or cyano.

If you can to rub it off with a toothbrush, it's probably brown hair algae?

Unread 11/27/2015, 08:42 AM   #2249
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
The dino explosion's not surprising. Feel free to blame me. (I figured the high ammonia with no obvious source might get worse and is a problem to all your critters while your dinos aren't immediately toxic as you've had ongoing issues with them.) Did your ammonia drop? I don't change my filter socks at all, but mine aren't 10 micron.

I'm not making fun of you; my tank's N and P crashed and I'm back at the beginning with a lot of dinos. It is crazy-making to not have an enjoyable tank when one is trying to do things right.

Re the dirty method, you're already doing it if your nitrates were that high. What's your phosphate? I have mostly lps and they actually look better after a few weeks of measurable nitrate. Monti caps and my 2 unknowns too.

@bheron Your tank continues to rebalance, I'm glad to see it.
@jason that stuff is definitely dying off!

ivy
I was going to do water change anyways. Didn't ant ammonia killing everyhing. Nitrates were high too. My hands were tied. But the dinos are crazy of how much these water changes affect them. It sucks. I wish my cyan would grow on sand, not rocks. But oh well. I'll continue with dirty method

Unread 11/27/2015, 09:57 AM   #2250
Kazalla
Registered Member

Hello dear fellows, small update from me: I'm continuing with the dirty method. I'm feeding unwashed frozen artemia twice a day. Never did a water change since the outbreak (month ago).

There are now "nice" amounts of green algae on the tank glass. Microfauna has recovered so far, there are lots of bristle worms (even small ones), Gammarus and isopods. All these little buggers are feeding on the green algae and accidentally feeding on the there growing dinos too. Snails beginning to breed again there are snail eggs on the glass. The dinos have been influenced by all this, they have completely disappeared from the live rocks. The overall amounts of dinos are not increasing, surfaces that has been cleaned, stay clean. There are dinos on the water surface and on the powerheads.

Did someone else noticed that anemones like RBTA and Condylactis gigantea are shrinking due the outbreak and dirty treatment? Especially the condy doesn't looks good, tentacles are very short and it looks whitish . All over corals are expanded and are looking quite healthy.

Sincerely, Dennis

Kazalla is offline   Reply With Quote