Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2017, 11:55 AM   #951
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Look at all that Coraline on your side glass lol!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 12:20 PM   #952
soulpatch
Registered Member

Yeah I was expecting reefer to post about that. Lol.

I just got the blade for the tunze in again yesterday and haven't done the sides yet

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 06:40 PM   #953
soulpatch
Registered Member

Proof I did the glass today... lol

Unread 10/02/2017, 07:20 AM   #954
soulpatch
Registered Member

Holy cow those pics are huge. Not sure why tapatalk did that. Sorry all.

New tank issue. My alk has tanked. I was running at 8.3 and have had the system locked in for a while now so I only test every few weeks. I made a mistake switching salt to Kent from my normal IO and did not test till yesterday almost 200 gallons through it. The tank has not lost any color and growth has continued so no signs of something wrong. Boy was that a mistake. My alk normally 8.3 had swung down to 6.5. Not in serious danger zone as many run lower alk levels but a significant swing for my tank. Slowly ramping it back up and will be monitoring for a while.

My calrx has been turned up to bring it up slowly and I manually dosed some last night. Now looking to bring it out a few small points a day back to 8.3 I am also back on IO salt with my AWC on to slowly ramp in fresh water again.

On the plus side during the past few weeks my bubble algae has significantly been knocked back. This has a counter though in that aiptasia continues to blossum and spread. My file fish is about done his QT and he has been eating any and all aiptasia I have been putting in the QT tank AND I have a copperband almost done its 6 week QT so between the two I should be turning the tide of the war slightly.

I had bought some berghia but have not seem them since. Waste of $40 there...

Unread 10/02/2017, 04:42 PM   #955
mav3rick478
Registered Member

It seems that everyone I've talked to that had bought Berghia, that always seems to be the consensus but some have witnessed them reappear like magic.

Unread 10/02/2017, 04:44 PM   #956
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3rick478 View Post
It seems that everyone I've talked to that had bought Berghia, that always seems to be the consensus but some have witnessed them reappear like magic.

We shall see. I've seen numerous that thought they lost them all only to have them pop back up 3 months later. At this point I don't care wha5 takes care of the issue so long as they are gone

Unread 10/04/2017, 12:16 PM   #957
soulpatch
Registered Member

Well file fish is in the tank so he needs to adjust and I hope he starts to do work on my aiptasia. We shall see.

On the job front I have gotten at least one offer from the 3 different positions. I am awaiting word still from the other 2 so I can make my decision.

Unread 10/11/2017, 12:18 PM   #958
soulpatch
Registered Member

Job front finalized and I am staying at my current firm. Giving up perhaps a grand or 2 a year in total comp BUT I will get to travel some as well as learn a lot more to add to my skillset. Plus I will have the title of VP. Woot!!!

As for the tank my bubble algae issue has continued to recede so that is great news there. My file fish seems to be eating some of my aiptasia though larger ones remain. I might have to target hit the larger ones and allow him to go after the smaller guys until I get my copperband in. The copperback is currently still in QT at LFS as he clears up from lymph that he had.

I have started to inquire about frag tanks to be built for me but still undetermined if I want to go that route or not. In a way it starts to feel like it would be more work then enjoyment but I still need to make that decision. If I go frag tank I would also need to determine WHERE to put it. I would want it plumbed in I think so as to save on equipment but I am a bit cramped in how I have the room setup.

I am locked down with money till Feb most likely as I have a big disney trip to pay for, christmas, and perhaps a few bits for my Jeep...

Unread 10/11/2017, 12:39 PM   #959
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Good for you Mr VP! Sounds like you have an expensive few months ahead but they sound like fun for the whole family.

I'm gonna have to get back to you on getting some frags, hopefully it's just a temporary delay. I live in Santa Rosa CA and the mandatory evacuation area is really close to our home. We left and am staying with my cousin the next town south. Today will be the big test as winds pick up the rest of the day and night. I came back to the house today, filled up my ato container, dosed some alk and told the tank I WILL SEE YOU LATER!

Unread 10/11/2017, 12:44 PM   #960
soulpatch
Registered Member

Good luck man. Hopefully the winds shift the right direction (or preferably die altogether) so that they can make a serious push back against the fires. I have a few friends that have had to evacuate as well which stinks.

Just let me know what all interests yuo once you are settled back home.

Unread 10/16/2017, 09:58 AM   #961
soulpatch
Registered Member

Frag tank might be put on hold for a bit. I am suddenly having some heat issues in the tank and unsure why. The only things added is the calrx and I can not imagine it is producing much heat given the 40ml a min or so it puts in the tank. I might need to move my temp probe or calibrate it. Should that not afford me with the corrected temps then I will need to invest ina chiller.

On plus sides of tank the aiptasia eating file fish is still working and i see some rocks a bit cleaner but a ton more still popping up. I believe I need to tag team with him at least until my copperband comes into the tank. Some of the bigger ones will likely need knocked back by me for the fish to get the smaller ones.

I have seen some solid growth in my tank to the point that I have trimmed my utter chaos and have a round of SPS clipping happening this week. I might be sendign a few to a local swap with a vendor this weekend as I will be golfing in West Virgina...

I have been having some particulate issues in my display so I am going to rerun some felt filter socks as opposed to the mesh I have been using. Also going to throw a magnum internal filter in my DT and blow up any gunk on my rocks for it to filter through. I rely on my AWC and do not mess around in the tank as much as i likely should to keep things in motion and getting sucked up by filtration.

Unread 10/25/2017, 10:55 AM   #962
soulpatch
Registered Member

So I have been tag teaming with my file fish to a degree in hunting the aiptasia but I still have noticeable amount in there. Copperband is still waiting as well from my guy.

Should have the magnum and a few other items coming Sunday to throw into the tank and clear it up of the fine particulate. Also gong to throw on a few felt socks to aid as opposed to my mesh.

I should be able to frag some corals this weekend and take some pics.

I also have a chiller coming tonight hopefully so my temps will finally be totally in line and no longer a 2-3 degree swing. Can't complain with a 1/6 HP chiller for free!!!!

Unread 10/31/2017, 08:44 AM   #963
soulpatch
Registered Member

Still waiting on my mangum to come from a friend. Should meet with him this weekend as he needs some frags.

Picked up my chiller last night so need to hook that up shortly. Awesome to have some great local friends and reefers really step up for one another. This chiller cost me nothing and was used for all of a few months before a reefer downsized and did not need it. So after hearing of my heat issues recently he reached out to me and said come and get it. I swapped him some GFO he needed and have helped recently get his one tank back in order as he has had algae issues and other things going on. Just shows how great our community can be and how we all help one another. I had no thought of the chiller when I spent a few weekends at his place as I didnt know he had one sitting around. Just cool all around.

For my livestock I went to frag my pink milli last night and ended up having it crack in the center so a much LARGER cut then I wanted. I made a mini colony from it and 2 other frags and the larger piece I used epoxy to mesh back together with the original portion. So at least I sold those pieces already and have some dollars coming in to respend on other items. Need to see how many frags my buddy wants this weekend and then I will likely frag some more things for some spare xmas money...

Unread 10/31/2017, 08:45 AM   #964
soulpatch
Registered Member

Some pics

Unread 10/31/2017, 09:52 AM   #965
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Magnum, as in the old school canister filter? Man that brings back memories!

Unread 10/31/2017, 09:55 AM   #966
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3rick478 View Post
Magnum, as in the old school canister filter? Man that brings back memories!

Yes the in tank small canister filter. Going to throw in some fine floss and such to clear up a bit of particulate I have in the tank.

Unread 10/31/2017, 01:16 PM   #967
homer1475
Registered Member

So jelly of your tank!

The growth on some of those corals is impressive. I would have thought by now we would both be in the no room and need to frag club. Just wish I could get my tank sorted.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 07:46 AM   #968
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
So jelly of your tank!

The growth on some of those corals is impressive. I would have thought by now we would both be in the no room and need to frag club. Just wish I could get my tank sorted.
I have had my share of horrible losses. Well over a grand or more in acan loses with that bad salt alone. Other issues have reared their heads through the 2 years of the tank as well. It is always a challenge.

Unread 11/06/2017, 10:08 AM   #969
soulpatch
Registered Member

Chiller is installed and running on the tank as of last night!!!

I had to calibrate the temp on it as it was reading a degree lower then what the water really was but nonetheless the tank is getting chilled now. I was able to remove the window fan unit from my stand and close the doors which made the room dead silent (well until the chiller kicks on but still more silent then with the fan on 100% of time).

I cleaned my fuge yesterday and even went to get the coraline off of the sump. My fuge has transitioned to be basically all culpera and such at this point as my chateo just cant keep up with the other macro. Not complaining as it stays together and doesnt find its way into my DT as frequently AND when a strand does my tangs eat it.

I got a frag order last night so need to cut some items this week.

Now the bad news. I was due to pick up my CBB this weekend and on Friday the LFS put a tang in the same customer pick up tank. Well it killed my CBB... Not happy but it is what it is. Now i will need to QT one myself and bring it in via divers den most likely.

Unread 11/06/2017, 12:01 PM   #970
FLSharkvictim
Registered Member

2 Ace Mold 25 GALLON Mixing Containers

Here is what I use with my Neptune DOS for my AWC's.
Love it!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Mixing Station.jpg (50.5 KB, 41 views)
FLSharkvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 12:03 PM   #971
soulpatch
Registered Member

I would have gone bigger if I were you. 25 gallons is not much water. I would have gone with at least a 60 gallon so you could use the 50 gal bags from IO or such...

Unread 11/06/2017, 02:11 PM   #972
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
I would have gone bigger if I were you. 25 gallons is not much water. I would have gone with at least a 60 gallon so you could use the 50 gal bags from IO or such...
And as I have found out, always have more space for plain RO/DI then you can use in your mixing barrel.

I'm always short RO/DI when I have to fill the mixing barrel. By time you fill the ATO, clean testing equipment, etc, your always short.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 02:38 PM   #973
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have 2 containers for RODI which match my large 75 gallon mixing container. I make water in the one to fill the other so I always have a minimum of 35 gallons on hand of RODI.

Unread 11/27/2017, 11:32 AM   #974
soulpatch
Registered Member

Have a few things on this quick update.

First a few people have been pinging me about the spectrapure ATO pump for their calcium reactor like I have it set up for. The unit works great and is highly adjustable. I have it set for to be on for roughly 12 seconds every 20 seconds. So it has an 8 second period that it is not running. I can set the pump speed up or down as well though right now I am holding steady at roughly 50 ml/min I believe keeping my tank at 8.3.

I have had it running since it came out and have been very happy overall. I was concerned slightly with the plastic rollers btut hey have been holding up great thus far. I went in expecting them to be a 12 month wear item but am currently looking at 18 to 24 months and perhaps longer. Very impressed.

Now for the bad news. Seems I have blown a WAV pump. I was messing with the tank yesterday and noticed my WAVs were off. I cycled power and nothing. Following Neptune's troubleshooting I was able to get one firing again but the other will short out the 1link when plugged in. I am ****ed about this whole things for a few reasons....

1. Main reason I bought the WAVs was to be notified should issues like this occur. What good is the integration if it does not work?

2. Pump is less then 2 years old and now I am looking at repalcing a $200 pump. My Jabeos have lasted longer... NOT HAPPY!!!!

3. Such a limited warranty. One would think paying a premium would net a longer warranty then buying a Jabeo butt hat is not the case. I know I knew this going in but one also expects better durability. I am not only one with issues with the WAVs either as a quick search will note.

4. Flow....I know they claim 4000 GPH through these pumps but no way in heck do I get that. I find them very underpowered for the cost. I have had to suppliment with Jabeos in my tank and was already looking to potentially replace them due to this.

So now I am at a cross roads. I am hopeful that Neptune will RMA and fix the pump for me but I am unsure if it will be on my dime and how much. I can go this route and have it fixed OR go with another brand of pumps. Seeing as how it is the holiday I can not justify swapping out my other WAV and dropping nearly a grand on pumps.

I am contemplating getting a coralbox QP16 for now to tide me over. It is half the cost of another WAV if I need to purchase a new one and my other jabeo products have been very reliable with frequent cleanings.

Also thinking of grabbing a gyre and throwing that on there for now. If I got the new style yes I would spend more then replacing the WAV but I can cheaply add a second pump next year and sell my WAV and 1Link modules.

Thinking right now is to likely grab the QP16 as it is all of 90 bucks and circle back to this all next year after the holiday season and my disney trip in May

Unread 11/27/2017, 02:07 PM   #975
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

sorry to hear about the problems.
imho, neptune should just stick to its core expertise, which is controller, and not venture into areas it knows nothing about unless it acquires another company that specialize in that product area.
best to get product from companies specializing in the product (light, pump, controller, etc)

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote