Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Fishamatank
Registered Member

Best dosing method for me?

I am wondering which of these methods would be most effective / successful method of delivering Alk & Ca to my 120 gal mixed reef.

#1 (currently in use) - I top off with saturated limewater via my ATO 24/7 - 2 gallons daily in addition to approx 50 ml of 2 part (baked baking soda) at night via dosing pumps hooked to my RKL.

#2 - Drop the kalk and just top off with straight ro/di and dose high pH hourly via the RKE and dosing pumps. This would equate to roughly 8 ml every hour (~200 mL daily).

Question: Would I see much of a change in my ph swing? Right now I run 8.3 - 8.0. I've never understood why it's not higher, but I keep my pH probe calibrated and believe it is correct.

I assume method 2 would be more stable as I no longer have the variable of evaporation changing due to changes in weather. Is that worth considering?

Fishamatank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2010, 06:15 PM   #2
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

If things are stable and you are getting good growth and color, why the change? IMHO, pH swings aren't that big of a deal if they are small. 7 swinging to 9, yeah problem. 7.8 swinging to 8.3 over the day, not problem.

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
SWINGRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Fishamatank
Registered Member

I guess the main reason would be that I'm tired of mixing up kalk water.
I guess I'd be mixing up a lo more 2 part if I dropped kalk.
6 of one, half dozen of the other?

Fishamatank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2010, 06:32 PM   #4
btkrausen
Fish Hoarder

invest in a kalk reactor...i used to have a Geo, and I absolutely loved it. I just bought a Precision Marine(Just got it hooked up this weekend) and I'm loving it already.

The new Precision Marines have a valve to let out some water, which was apparently lacking in the past, and the reason Geo was a superior product. Now, PM has added that, so they are close to the same.

I love a kalk reactor, mostly because, like you, I don't have to manually mix kalk any longer.

Unread 09/26/2010, 06:34 PM   #5
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

get a kalk rx. I dumped in 1 pound every six months when I cleaned the rx. All you have to worry about is fresh top-off.
I mix 2 part once a month.

posted at the same time as above. sorry
I used to have a Geo as well. But I sold it when I went to Zeo.

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
SWINGRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2010, 12:13 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

The kalk reactor might do the job, and the two-part is far more concentrated than the limewater, so a 5g jug of each might go a long time. The kalk is about twice as effective as the high-pH two-part at consuming carbon dioxide, per unit of alkalinity, so the pH will rise somewhat. It's hard to know how low the pH might drop without trying the two-part.