Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2012, 02:58 PM   #76
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

I did some more research on this last night and today and still stand firmly behind what I said earlier in the thread. Even though the designer clowns alter the genes of the clownfish to bring out these different colors and patterns I still think it's perfectly fine to do since it doesn't cause the clown any drastic side effects. However, if it becomes anything like the freshwater industry then I will have some problems.

There are too many examples in the fresh water fish like betas and guppies who are bred to have those ridiculously large tails which hinder the swimming or goldfish who are bred to have huge tumors on their head or bubbles under their eyes which make their eyes constantly point upwards. The notorious parrot fish who are consantly dyed an assortment of colors or often tattooed different patterns on the fish. I'm not ok with altering a fish that is in a way taking away from the quality of life of the fish but I don't think just manipulating the color of the fish like a picasso or snowflake fish is a bad thing as long as they don't have the defects like a pugface or protruding jaw.

Dalmations are another example who are notorious for having drastic side effects like cancer and deafness since they were originally black dogs and now are bred so many times for that certain gene that makes their coat appear white (leucism).

*steps off soapbox*