Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: if you have kept a blue spot jawfish how long did it survive
3 months or less 21 31.82%
3 to 9 months 15 22.73%
9 months to 2 years 16 24.24%
2 years + 17 25.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2015, 01:57 PM   #176
Blue spot
Registered Member

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 03:18 PM   #177
Blue spot
Registered Member

Theirs a big picture update. The pink filter were the second batch, and to me looks more like the colour under blue than the Orange filter. Managed to get a few good pictures of the tigerpyge aswell. Normally it's that quick , they are always blurry. As you can see Bert is doing well also , lots of colour on him so quite a change from the drab brown fish I baught I also think I have nearly had him a year now (I'll read back and check) but this was (as the title suggests) the main fish I wanted to keep so fingers crossed for another year. I am also trying a spider sponge out , I have read these are difficult to keep, but I'm going to have a go at it. If anyone has kept one long term I would love to know about it.

Unread 11/16/2015, 02:10 PM   #178
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I have a question I am hoping someone can help with. Angels and sponges. Do angelfish eat sponges ? I have read it is a essential part of the diet but mine seam to be uninterested in them . I have put the angelfish food in that contains sponge and they don't touch it. I have also just added a sponge and was concerned they may pick at it , but nothing. Any ideas or suggested reading for me?

Unread 11/16/2015, 02:17 PM   #179
Blue spot
Registered Member

One more question. Radion templates. The colour enhancement program. Is this to enhance the corals colour , or just display them under blues . We are talking sps here? Again any help appreciated.

Unread 11/17/2015, 02:26 PM   #180
Blue spot
Registered Member

I'm going to try going back to the colour enhance program and see how I get on for a while with the rations. I am thinking I only started to get a byropsis bloom when I switched program for the sps. I have had a good search but cannot seam to find if anyone has tried this long term so I'll let you know how it goes.

Unread 11/20/2015, 04:06 PM   #181
Blue spot
Registered Member

New Aussie shipment at lfs. So I've had 2 nice chalices some blastos ( never tried these before) and another lobo. I'll get some pictures. I've replenished the lettuice slugs to get to work on the byropsis and doing a few water changes . I normally do 1 a month but I want to see if I can get my nitrates down a little more . They seem stable but still a little high @15 . My sea urchin is spawning every couple of weeks and I've think my sun coral has spawned as I can sea little sun corals under one of the rock.

Unread 12/13/2015, 05:06 PM   #182
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hi folks, been a long time since an update, sorry , working away in Munich but found some nice marine shops whilst I was over their. So the tank, byropsis.... I have lost the battle , came back to find it everywhere , after a number of experiments , including drying, boiling and scraping the Rock the stuff still resprouts. So I am slowly removing rock and disposing of it , once I think it gone , I'll start adding rock again, I think I have had a fish loss aswell , my helfrinchi fire fish , can't see them . My top suspect is a boxer shrimp, I watched it grab and hold my trigger fish today . I've read up and cannot decide on these shrimps as the view seams mixed , do they catch and eat small fish ? My dad had a marine tank with one of these in and he always swore it ate fish . Any thoughts ?

Unread 12/28/2015, 12:10 PM   #183
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hi everyone. Things are back on track again. Removed a lot of rock with the byropsis, all branching , it really likes to take a hold on this stuff so it's all gone. As a result its left my scape a little sparce so , I've been living with it , even though it bugs me every time I look at the tank just to see if byropsis appears somewhere else. I'm down to one piece which my nem lives on, it been on this piece of rock for 2 years and never wonders of it so I'm thinking of sawing the piece off with the byropsis on And the anemone still attached ����. Helfrinchi definetly gone, and still keeping an eye on the boxer shrimp still very undecided about this. My lights broke again so I am waiting to get this repaired , as a result some of my sps has browned out a little , fourth time this light has gone , all the rest are perfect so not sure why just the one light. And also my main return pump failed at 1am Christmas morning . That's all the bad / challenging. I've made it all sound terrible but the tank is actually looking pretty good, fish are fat and healthy , blue spots still alive and moved house. Angels are starting to look very sexy , gold flake getting bigger and the venustus is eating well . The star of the tank seams to be the moorish, everyone hones in on her. Nems huge and looking stunning (had norm for 2 years now) the one thing I am questioning is the triggers, very scatty up and down the tank patrolling , spoils the atmos and reminds me these fish are captive , pinned to the glass. Maybe when I rescape they will change. Oh yes rescape tomorrow. Hoorah , one ends done just the other to do , got to try and remember to enjoy the process and not get frustrated when I can't balance a rock how I would like it . Hopefully then I will take some byropsis free tank pictures .

Unread 12/28/2015, 01:42 PM   #184
Ricardo18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue spot View Post
One more question. Radion templates. The colour enhancement program. Is this to enhance the corals colour , or just display them under blues . We are talking sps here? Again any help appreciated.
I have read where;
-The Blue/Purple spectrum is for GROWTH
-The Red spectrum is not that good for growth, just appearance
-Same for White..and can more easily burn corals

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Ricardo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 05:09 AM   #185
Blue spot
Registered Member

Thanks Ricardo that's cleared it up for me a little now , you read so many things about what lights what it gets a little confusing .

Unread 12/31/2015, 07:08 AM   #186
Ricardo18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue spot View Post
Thanks Ricardo that's cleared it up for me a little now , you read so many things about what lights what it gets a little confusing .
information overload!!!
-sometimes a blessing
-sometimes a curse

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Unread 12/31/2015, 11:49 AM   #187
Blue spot
Registered Member

Well the tank is rescaped . Took 12 hours, but I did a few things that had been bugging me. So firstly removed byropsis rock . I am still keeping an eye out for any new sprouts as I don't want it back ! So lesson 1 (as the spirit of my thread is for everyone to learn from all my mistakes) byropsis bad , in fact very bad. Next lesson 2 , never put some weird funky algae in your sump because your lfs tells you it's great. I have stripped all this out also and thrown away the rock from my first tank which was sitting in the sump. I now have a bare sump bye bye copepod production ( I have a lot of pipe fish, mandarins so will have to supplement feed) lesson 3 make sure you have space for corals on your aquascape. I had read this to death and was convinced I was going to glue every coral in place and everything would look lovely , the reality is I never want to glue things in place as I am not super confident on where things will do best and when you do find a spot , finding a good adhesive I have found troublesome , tried many brands . Make sure you have shelves , I thought I had shelves, but my latest aquascape shows I didn't really. Any corals I have ever lost have been through another coral falling on top of it or vise versa.
All that being said ...... My tank is looking the best it ever has so maybe these things need to happen sometimes. I'll get some pictures when the water is clear , have a few particles floating around from the big move. Well one year down with this tank and blue spot is nearly a year old now so . Happy new year to you all.

Unread 12/31/2015, 12:00 PM   #188
Ricardo18
Registered Member

The quest for the perfect set up continues...Good luck. I am sure you will be successful.

Unread 01/07/2016, 02:42 PM   #189
Blue spot
Registered Member

Does anyone know how to take a decent photo ???? I have asked this before and believe me I have tried ! I'm not looking for perfection here just something decent . If I put the blues on everything goes weird, if I put the whites on it looks washed out. I've got radions so if someone has a photo setting that you could share or a a way to get a good picture that would be great. I've got a cannon slr camera, no fancy lenses just the standard. I have read the picture blogs but I am not that in to phatography that I know what everything does on the camera. More of a point and click person. Any help would be great.

Unread 01/07/2016, 07:11 PM   #190
dave.m
Registered Member

There is a whole forum on camera-work here on RC with lots of instructions and tips, especially for SLRs. One thing you might want to consider is learning how to adjust the white balance on your camera. Another thing you may want to try is just using the RAW format, and then adjusting your photos as necessary in software.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2016, 12:41 PM   #191
Blue spot
Registered Member

thanks dave, I've tried playing around with that white balance and i think they look a little better , also some people have asked me about the roll matt, I've added a picture showing what i was talking about with the old motor and power location. this is also the new scape . still can't get a great picture as I can't get a face on picture which fits the whole tank in so have to take an angled one, sorry folks

Unread 01/09/2016, 12:42 PM   #192
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 01/09/2016, 12:43 PM   #193
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 01/09/2016, 12:44 PM   #194
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 01/09/2016, 12:46 PM   #195
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 01/09/2016, 12:47 PM   #196
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 01/09/2016, 12:48 PM   #197
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 01/09/2016, 12:50 PM   #198
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 01/13/2016, 01:13 PM   #199
Blue spot
Registered Member

Has anyone ever kept a Red Sea mimic blenny or a stigmata blenny. I have heard the latter is realy difficult to keep alive ?

Unread 01/13/2016, 10:31 PM   #200
Martini5788
Registered Member

I have a blue spot question for you. I am wanting to get one for the 90 gallon I am setting up. What are you keeping your temp at? And do you think the blue spot would use the hole in this rock for its burrow? I am still working on the aquascape, this isn't the final arrangement. In your experience with them, do they tend towards the middle or sides of the tank?

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8ft, blue spot, new tank, reef