Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2019, 05:05 PM   #1
Candi
Registered Member

Canopy on a rimless tank?

I know, I know... why have a rimless tank if you want to put a canopy on it. I'm very interested in the Red Sea Max tanks for overall looks & what appears to be an easy setup (going from a hot mess of an old 70g Oceanic tank with plumbing that needs to just be tossed)... but I have kids & cats and a solid canopy is a must in my house, and honestly I prefer the finished look. So that said, can I put a canopy on top of a Red Sea rimless tank w/o risking hurting the tank/glass etc. Looking at photos online it looks like they used to sell tanks with a canopy, but I can't seem to find one now (even to gutt and use with my LED lighting).

Candi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2019, 05:47 PM   #2
outssider
Registered Member

I cant see any reason not to put a canopy on if that's what you like. That's what I would do. I don't like any light spillage …..

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Candi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
I cant see any reason not to put a canopy on if that's what you like. That's what I would do. I don't like any light spillage …..
Thank you! So not to sound naive (but I am, I've only had rimmed tanks)... the wood canopy can just sit on the top of the glass without issue?

Unread 07/20/2019, 09:02 AM   #4
outssider
Registered Member

I've never done this on a rimless either but I would ….just be a little careful when removing and installing the canopy....

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Candi
Registered Member

Thanks, sounds good. I build furniture so I'll build my own, likely make it so the frame stays on the tank at all time & is perfectly sized, then a slightly recessed top/lid will sort of sit inside that and can be removed for water changes/feeding etc w/o disturbing the actual framing portion so I'm not constantly lifting & reseating the frame.

Unread 07/20/2019, 09:09 AM   #6
Candi
Registered Member

I don't have a great photo but this is the stand & canopy I built for my nano... I did similar on this canopy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2537.jpg (37.8 KB, 18 views)
Unread 07/20/2019, 02:33 PM   #7
nikon187
Registered Member

most rimless tanks are NOT designed to have a canopy on top. thats what trim is for, to protect the glass when moving and furniture

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote