Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2010, 08:45 AM   #1
claudiojr
Registered Member

Question HELP Water Circulation, Sump Design, Filter and Skimmer in a Reef

Dear friends,

I've got some questions concerning water circulation and some other issues in a reef. Hope you could help me. At first i intend to keep it with fish and soft corals only, but i'd like to make it as it could, one day, keep more sensitive corals (like some sps).
I'am mounting a 1000L reef (about 360 US gallons), and i'am a little unsecure about the water circulation and some other things. I don't wanna make anything wrong.

1- I plan to use 2 of Mag Drive 18 as return pump. Water goes down to the sump by gravity and then returns to the main tank with the 2 Mag Drive 18. The distance between the sump exit and the tank inlet is 1.5meters (about 5 feet). Would it be ok?

2- As the "in tank" circulation i plan to use 2 of Hydor Koralia 8, 2 of Hydor Koralia 5, 2 of Hydor Koralia 1 and 2 of Hydor Koralia Nano. Would that be ok?

3- I'am experiencing a lot (A LOT) of trouble when it comes to the sump design and volume. Where i may find nice and functional sump designs? What would be the recomended volume for my sump (considering a 360Gl main tank)?

4- As i prefer the "In Sump" models, I'am planning to buy an AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer with a Mag Drive 24 as the skimmer pump. I don't know AquaC products, but reviews says they are just fine. Is this a good choice? What would you recommend?

5- I was also planning to buy an Eheim Professional 3 External Filter 2080, but i'm not sure if the system really needs it. What would you recomend me to do?

Thanks for everyone who dedicates its time helping people starting their hobby the right way.

claudiojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Nickjr000
Moved On

You want to turn the water over from tank to sump about 5-6 times an hour. I would ditch the eheim, might help a little but might not notice any difference ,. Just let your skimmer do the work( get the best and biggest you can afford. You can run filter bags if you want

Nickjr000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2010, 09:23 AM   #3
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Why do you want to run two Mag 18s for return?

90g RR SPS dominate. WM K2 skimmer /red nw. 60g fuge/sump. Upgraded Coralife Pro 250w w/ dual Galaxy and 14K Phoenix with 2x96 SPS dual actinic. Apex controller with WXM and two MP40s. Herbie overflow. Now running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets.
PowermanKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2010, 11:48 AM   #4
detroit_fan
Registered Member

1- I would only use 1 return pump, giving your water more time in the sump will allow it to be cleaned better, a single pump should be fine. shoot for 3-5 times total tank volume for return flow.

2-I have used a lot of koralias, and they are ok but if money is available a vortech or tunze set up is much better. if you go koralia, i wouldn't go any lower than a #4, a #1 or a nano will do nothing in a tank that big. Not to mention will all those powerheads you'll have cords everwhere and too many ph's in the tank doesn't look very good imo.

3- http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

go as big as you can for a sump. if you have room for a rubbermade stock tank i think they make the best sumps. tons of room to work

rubbermade sumps-

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551665

4- not familiar with that skimmer

5- i don't see the need for an external filter. just have adequate live rock, a good skimmer, some chaeto, maybe some media reactors(gfo/carbon) and you should be good to go

hope that helps

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home-T.Jefferson

Current Tank Info: 125g & 29g
detroit_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circulation, filtration, skimmer, sump