Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Mj_reef
Registered Member

DIY ATO Reservoir

So I'm thinking about building a a to reservoir. I have 2 old 10 gallon tanks that i was considering making it out of. Basicly it Will be sitting on the small side of the tank. Will i need to keep the bottom braces to reuse or will it be ok without bracing? Also whats the best silicone to use? Thanks

Mj_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 04:08 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

So you are taking apart the tanks for the glass?
Why not just use the tank as is? Why do you need to do anything but put water and a pump into the 10g tank?

IF you are making something then what dimensions will your ATO be that will dictate if you need to brace it or not..

Momentive rtv103/108 is fine for silicone..

Unread 12/10/2017, 06:05 PM   #3
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

The glass in a standard 10g is so thin and fragile, you'll have a hard time getting it apart and clean without breaking it. Also, it's very cheap glass - it would be a whole lot easier to just buy new glass.

...or use the tank(s) as-is per mcgyvr

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 07:11 PM   #4
rocsec1
Registered Member

I use a ten gallon tank as my ato reservoir and it works really good for me. I wouldn’t messs around with something like that when the $1 gallon sales are available.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 12:33 AM   #5
outy
Moved On

I use a 10G garbage pale for my ATO. I made a 1/2" foam insulation board for a lid and it holds heat much better then any glass container. The top of my container is level with sump height so its easy for the aqualifter to gravity feed the sump through a kalk reactor

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Mj_reef
Registered Member

The reason I'm considering takimg the 2 apart to make 1 is because they are old tanks (10-15 years at least). I dont trust the seals. Second is that I wont have room for the 10 gallon to sit normal along with my diy 29 gallon sump. Third reason is that when the 10 gallon is stood up on its end it fits nearly perfect between the braces giving me a good amount of ATO water in a much smaller space. Im open to other ideas but it needs to be taller rather than wider. I'm using one of the square 5 gallon jugs under my 28 gallon nano cube now and it only lasts a week and I figure it will be alot less with the 75 or possibly 90 gallon tank (I over built the stand just in case)

Mj_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 08:25 PM   #7
Arcar
Registered Member

I'm going to jump on this. My Eshopp has a auto top off float thats gravity fed. What can I use for a container to have this top off my tank? It looks like it used RO/DI plumbing. Do I get a jug and custom make a hole?

Any ideas to get my started would be great! Can you use gas cans?

Current Tank Info: New 120 Gallon
Arcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 06:12 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj_reef View Post
I'm using one of the square 5 gallon jugs under my 28 gallon nano cube now and it only lasts a week
Sounds perfect as is IMO..

But go for it... Good luck getting the glass apart without breaking it and you will need to eurobrace it or something for sure..

There are tons of plastic containers available in all shapes and sizes.. I'd just suggest finding on that fits vs going through all the hassle of deconstructing a thin 10g tank..

Unread 12/12/2017, 06:58 AM   #9
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I'd start from scratch with new glass. Besides the difficulty and breakage risk with old glass, the dimensions may not even work.

A typical glass tank has the bottom floating between the side panels. If you try to turn the tank on end and use what is currently the end as the bottom, with one of the current bottoms as the 4th wall, you won't get the pieces to all line up perfectly - the bottoms will be too short compared to the current long walls and the end (new bottom) will be too big to fit between the new walls.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 12/12/2017, 07:03 AM   #10
mrsixstrings12
Registered Member

Is recommend taking a trip to the hardware store and looking for a 5 gallon bucket, or similar, that would fit. Or even a 5 gallon or 1 gallon water jug.

mrsixstrings12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 09:21 AM   #11
DreadCapn
Registered Member

5 gallons seems like a lot of evaporation in a week for a 29g.

I second a white food grade 5g bucket. If you've got the space, you could even connect two of them stacked on top of each other with very minimal effort. KISS!

Avast Pegleg Skimmer
DreadCapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 09:24 AM   #12
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I've got a 24g cube. It does 5g in a little less than a week. I keep two buckets of kalk ready at all times, and have the ATO running off one. Then when it's empty, I just swap buckets, and mix new kalk in the one I just took offline. This way, I always have one ready and I don't have to wait for the bucket to fill with RODI water or for the kalk to settle before the ATO is back online.

Unread 12/12/2017, 09:32 AM   #13
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I suppose if your house humidity is quite low (with home heater on), then you can get more evaporation. my ato reservoir is 3 gallons and it lasts 7-8 days on a 45 gallon tank on room humidity between 50-60%.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote