Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Iowa Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2009, 08:36 AM   #1
PotRoast
Registered Member

Powder Blue vs Powder Brown

I have two same sized tangs, one powder blue and one powder brown.

The brown is established in the main tank, and the blue is in QT.

If I introduce the blue to the main tank, will the brown soon be dead?

I have a 240 gal tank fwiw.

PotRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2009, 08:43 AM   #2
xroads
Registered Member

not sure, I have heard of putting a few mirrors in the tank at the same time. It will confuse & intimidate them until they become peaceful. Tank sounds big enough so they can have their own space.

Please let us know how it goes.

xroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Nanemene
Registered Member

I can tell you that I had a yellow, and when I added a PBT, it was war immediately. The yellow attacked the PBT non-stop day and night until the PBT was dead. There was absolutely instantaneous hate between the two fish.

Nanemene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2009, 11:44 AM   #4
PotRoast
Registered Member

I have two yellows and one brown. And a blue and a lavender.

As of this hour, the brown is the boss of the tank for sure.

It may be a completely different story in a couple weeks......we'll see.

Unread 01/21/2009, 12:50 PM   #5
jstngates
Registered Member

I have been told to take the brown out and while they are both out rearrange the rocks some... then introduce the new tang to the tank then add the old one back in ...

jstngates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2009, 10:09 AM   #6
PotRoast
Registered Member

Well, they don't really like each other. They are both on the defensive most of the time. I hope they get tired of being agro and chill. Or someone is going to die. Maybe both.

In other news.....my new Mandarin, Coral Beauty and Flame Hawk are dead. And my perc is missing.

So yes, I came home from work and the QT tank was suffering....chromis at the surface sucking for air, the fox lo swimming around upside down, etc.....I totally freaked and thought my water parameters were out of whack in the QT tank, causing such rapid and widespread death.

So in lieu of testing the water, I netted the living fish and tossed them into my main tank's sump. I did not turn the pump off though....

So then, with my fish safe in the sump, I revisit the QT tank. I find the mandarin in the powerhead. I notice there is no flow from the powerhead.....test the water....bulletproof. OK, so the mandarin killed the flow, as a result the fish died. Cool. Crap, but live and learn I guess.

So then I turn to my sump and the Fox Lo is SUCKED INTO THE INLET! WOAH! CRAP! NOT GOOD! REALLY NOT GOOD. (insert swear words everywhere) HOLY CRAP TURN THE PUMP OFF! TURN THE PUMP OFF!!!!!! (I think to myself)

So I turn the pump off, my Fox Lo is free, but his eye is completely sucked out of the socket and dangling around. Needless to say he isn't doing that great. Although I checked on him this morning and his eye is in the socket. (how that happened is beyond me)

The End. This post brought to you by the letter C, and Coffee.

Unread 01/26/2009, 02:50 PM   #7
PotRoast
Registered Member

Update.

The war is over, cooler heads have prevailed. The two powders are now tolerant of, but not happy with, each other.

The lavender tang just sat back and hid the whole time. Now he is out and kicking it in the flow.

The foxface appears to have vision in his swollen eye.

And I keep losing chromis. Man. Where do those things go?

Unread 01/27/2009, 09:55 PM   #8
cagri
Premium Member

chromis need to be fed generously several times a day(at least 2 - 3 times), they are very active swimmers with high metabolism just like anthias.

I have kept them for years this way with little to no loss.

cagri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2009, 09:14 AM   #9
jschottenfeld
Premium Member

FWIW....I had a large hippo, small hippo and then added a powder brown. Everything was fine for months and then the brown went psycho. He started chasing everyone around.

I thought that I would add a purple tang to calm the powder brown down....yea, that didn't work, dead purple. I think I'm holding pat with Tangs until the Powder brown gets senile in 5 to 7 years!

jschottenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote