Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2013, 03:03 AM   #1601
gokalp
Registered Member

Hi Jeremy

I have old version Vertex 200 Alpha with no dialing option of the motor. Since several weeks I cant make skimmer work. It always overflows e.g. 1 time in a week. 1st skimmer skims dark color and level inside the neck is low. But after severel days level inside comes to the most upper point. I fully open the water outlet. I lower the water level to 18cm, the same problem. I take out the sponge from the silencer. Would you please tell me the dimensions of the nozzle I can use instead of the one I have. The nozzle that I want to use has 19mm inner diameter and 59mm length. I saw from this web site. What is the outer diameter? Can I order this part?

Is there a chance to upgrade to a motor with dialing option.

Regards

Gokalp

gokalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2013, 12:59 PM   #1602
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindk View Post
Jeremy, I currently own a Royal-exclusiv vertex 200. I have added a 60g tank to my entire system. So the system includes a 180g+75 gallon fuge+75 gallon sump+60g. The gross volume is almost 400g and net water volume is about 250g. It is a medium bioload system. Should I be upgrading the skimmer?
I think you're probably fine for right now. The Alpha 200 is the strongest of all the Alpha models for it's own respective size, so you should be just fine with it.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2013, 01:12 PM   #1603
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokalp View Post
Hi Jeremy

I have old version Vertex 200 Alpha with no dialing option of the motor. Since several weeks I cant make skimmer work. It always overflows e.g. 1 time in a week. 1st skimmer skims dark color and level inside the neck is low. But after severel days level inside comes to the most upper point. I fully open the water outlet. I lower the water level to 18cm, the same problem. I take out the sponge from the silencer. Would you please tell me the dimensions of the nozzle I can use instead of the one I have. The nozzle that I want to use has 19mm inner diameter and 59mm length. I saw from this web site. What is the outer diameter? Can I order this part?

Is there a chance to upgrade to a motor with dialing option.

Regards

Gokalp

The white adjustable nozzle will not solve your issue. It will only change the air draw into the skimmer body. If you keep overflowing that has nothing to do with slightly increasing or decreasing the air draw, but most likely due to running the water level inside the skimmer a bit too high, debris in the pins of the impeller, a partially clogged venturi, or a varying sump level.

Unread 12/09/2013, 02:21 PM   #1604
gokalp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
The white adjustable nozzle will not solve your issue. It will only change the air draw into the skimmer body. If you keep overflowing that has nothing to do with slightly increasing or decreasing the air draw, but most likely due to running the water level inside the skimmer a bit too high, debris in the pins of the impeller, a partially clogged venturi, or a varying sump level.
Please inform the outer diameter of the nozzle with 58mm long and 19mm inner diameter. I want to change the nozzle.

There is no debris in the pins of impeller, sump level is always the same with auto top off. There is a timer when the skimmer switches on after power loss. What do you mean with clogged venturi? Would you please give more info.

After skimmer runs several days the bubles start from very low point such that bublles touch the lower holes and there are microbubbles coming out from the output. The bubles rise to a very high point in the neck.

Please advise.

Regards

Gokalp

gokalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2013, 04:17 PM   #1605
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

The non-adjustable nozzle is not the cause, it has to be one of the other issues I mentioned. Other than putting something in your tank such as frag epoxy, an additive, or some other foreign substance into the tank there is no other cause for the skimmer to overflow other than what I mentioned.

I do not have an adjustable nozzle here to measure unfortunately, I am sorry. You might call Vertex direct about it, however I can tell you that the nozzles they sell now are not made by Royal-Exclusiv anymore, so there could be some minor differences in the sizing.

Unread 12/17/2013, 07:56 PM   #1606
miracles38
Registered Member

I have the Vertex Alpha 170. It only has about 1 year of use and this week the red dragon pump stopped working. It will come on for a second when you plug it in then stops. Can someone please tell me who I contact regarding the pump? Thanks..

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
miracles38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2013, 12:00 PM   #1607
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

It is still under warranty through Vertex, however if you can post some pics of the impeller assembly removed from the pump as well as down inside the block that might be helpful.

Unread 12/19/2013, 01:23 PM   #1608
miracles38
Registered Member

Here are some pics

Unread 12/19/2013, 01:24 PM   #1609
miracles38
Registered Member

Unread 12/19/2013, 01:32 PM   #1610
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

It's definitely the block then. Have you ever pulled out the impeller assembly and had the bearing attached to the end of impeller shaft when you've pulled it out? Or have you ever had startup / stopping issues with it?

Unread 12/19/2013, 02:26 PM   #1611
miracles38
Registered Member

No, the bearing has never come out and there have never been any start-up issues.

Unread 12/19/2013, 02:28 PM   #1612
miracles38
Registered Member

Should I try and rotate the bearing down in the shaft?

Unread 12/26/2013, 12:23 PM   #1613
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Just now saw your post, sorry I missed it. It was a little crazy this past Monday with the Holidays. It really appears / sounds to be a dead motorblock to me. Try shooting an email over to jen@prolineaquatics.com and let her know that you've been troubleshooting with me and we've found it to be a bad block. They should be able to send a replacement out to you. If she is unable to help please email me directly at jeremy@premiumaquatics.com.

Unread 12/31/2013, 01:51 AM   #1614
spinsonic
Registered Member

so i have an alpha 170, been up and running for close to two months now and I'm kinda disappointed with its performance.

At the moment its sitting in 9" water with valut 4 turns out, and wedge pipe 95% closed position. The foam is barely overflowing over collection cup. Is this normal? I also notice pulsing problem after about 2 days after cleaning neck and collection cup being cleaned.

Tank is heavily stocked with tangs and numerous other fishes, fed frozen and dry foods. What does everyone have the skimmer set at? because I'm beginning to think this one is defective. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

spinsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2014, 05:32 AM   #1615
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Jeremy,

I've been looking for an Alpha 250 for a new build (275DT/350total) with little success. I understand this is due to a change in the manufacturer. I'm wondering what your recommendation as to an alternate choice would be?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2014, 01:26 PM   #1616
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsonic View Post
so i have an alpha 170, been up and running for close to two months now and I'm kinda disappointed with its performance.

At the moment its sitting in 9" water with valut 4 turns out, and wedge pipe 95% closed position. The foam is barely overflowing over collection cup. Is this normal? I also notice pulsing problem after about 2 days after cleaning neck and collection cup being cleaned.

Tank is heavily stocked with tangs and numerous other fishes, fed frozen and dry foods. What does everyone have the skimmer set at? because I'm beginning to think this one is defective. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
If you can post some photos, or even better a video, of the skimmer installed and running in your setup we can help you get dialed in with it.

Unread 01/02/2014, 01:29 PM   #1617
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Jeremy,

I've been looking for an Alpha 250 for a new build (275DT/350total) with little success. I understand this is due to a change in the manufacturer. I'm wondering what your recommendation as to an alternate choice would be?
If you were originally looking at an Alpha 250 then take a look at the Bubble King Double Cone 250. The size of the skimmer is the same, but the Double Cone has the winte glass body shape versus the straight cone shape of the Alpha. The Double Cone also has the new Red Dragon 3 DC pump on it, which is even quieter than the Red Dragon 1 pumps that originally came on the Alpha's.

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-s...ubbleking.html

We do have these in stock and ready to ship immediately as well.

Unread 01/06/2014, 08:32 PM   #1618
Notjohnwayne
Registered Member

I have an alpha 250 skimmer. I set it up and it looks like it is making plently of bubbles, but then it just turns off randomly. Google has not been my friend in resolving this! Can anyone help me? super frustrating

Notjohnwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2014, 10:56 PM   #1619
davesolo29
Registered Member

I have this problem every now and then. My pump seems to push itself out of the skimmer body a little bit and then doesn't produce the swirling in the chamber.
To fix that, I put the pump right against the side of the sump.

davesolo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2014, 08:05 AM   #1620
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohnwayne View Post
I have an alpha 250 skimmer. I set it up and it looks like it is making plently of bubbles, but then it just turns off randomly. Google has not been my friend in resolving this! Can anyone help me? super frustrating
When was the last time the impeller and bearing was pulled and cleaned?

Unread 01/07/2014, 08:13 AM   #1621
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesolo29 View Post
I have this problem every now and then. My pump seems to push itself out of the skimmer body a little bit and then doesn't produce the swirling in the chamber.
To fix that, I put the pump right against the side of the sump.
It sounds like the red pipe that goes through the body wall of the skimmer and into the bubble plate is not pushed in all the way, and keeps backing out. This pipe is a really tight fit, and as long as it's in all the way it shouldn't work it's way back out.

Unread 01/07/2014, 11:32 AM   #1622
Notjohnwayne
Registered Member

I cleaned the impeller but not the berring two days ago. The whole pump literally turns off after a given (sometimes random) period of time

Unread 01/07/2014, 02:05 PM   #1623
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

The block could be starting to fail. There is a chip in the block that shuts it down if any resistance is sensed from the impeller not spinning correct. Generally calcium carbonate will build up between the shaft and end bearing, causing a significant amount of excess heat in there. This will cause the end bearing to seize to the shaft, thus providing resistance from the spinning of the impeller. The block senses this and shuts itself off. If you just unplug and plug it back in this will reset that safety measure, and the same thing will happen over and over. If you reset it too many times the damage to the block itself will occur and you'll need to replace the motorblock. I'd suggest pulling the end bearing and giving all of it a thorough cleaning, soaking it in vinegar overnight would not hurt either.

Unread 01/07/2014, 05:45 PM   #1624
Techbiker
ORCA Public Relation 2013

I got a IN-250, is only 2 years old and there is no replacement pump for it, I spoke to the Warranty Services Manager at Vertex and she only have gusses, what may work on it , she mention that maybe the bubble blaster works, but that guess will cost $256.00 versus the original pump that sold for $75.00, or just add some money and get a real brand name skimmer, my bad for not do a better research before, I got this.
This brand is a joke, better just get a chinnese product at least they are behind everything they sale

Techbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2014, 08:11 PM   #1625
Notjohnwayne
Registered Member

Thanks Jeremy- I took it apart and scrubbed it down- there was a lot of buildup around the end berring. Soaking it in vinegar now- all I had was the apple cider kind...