Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2016, 08:15 PM   #2601
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I made this short comic in response to the care bear admins on the various FaceBook groups I'm a part of

Unread 06/20/2016, 05:42 AM   #2602
Kharn
MANTISMAN

For every 10 admirers I have with what I do...there is 1 hater and I am not one to shy away from haters as I like to bait them and feed off their tears

This little comic I slapped together got a lot of hilarious attention on the various FaceBook groups I shared it on mostly admirers well...admiring it!

Unread 06/20/2016, 05:49 AM   #2603
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Oh yeah and for anyone that cares....

The new tank I am setting up overseas where I am...EXPLODED! :O

Dodgy 3rd World Glaziers at their finest...it has not deterred me but it has made me redesign the tank or specifically tanks.

The tank that EXPLODED was an 8x2x2.

However to fix the problem I have organized 2 smaller tanks (instead of 1 large tank) but the 2 tanks will equal the 1 large tanks size but reduce overall stress on the glass itself (2x 4x2x2 tanks) I'm not only keeping the glass thick for small tanks (10mm) but as an extra insurance policy the glass is being...tempered/toughened.

These 2 new tanks will arrive Next Monday and the project will continue on!

NOTHING STOPS US!
NOTHING!!!

P.S. - The previous single large 8x2x2 tank was made "locally" whilst the 2 smaller 4x2x2 Tempered Tanks are being made in the big city and transported out to me. Even with all the setbacks and trashed tanks and steel stands...I'm still actually financially better off then back in the 1st world where things cost a LOT more, for example, the two 4x2x2 Tempered tanks cost $500 together, a bucket load cheaper then the 1st world with Tempered Glass let alone Aquariums using it.

Unread 07/14/2016, 02:04 AM   #2604
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Unread 08/09/2016, 02:34 AM   #2605
Kharn
MANTISMAN

The 2 new Toughened Glass Tanks are in and full of water.

The system is now doing a 7day test run for strength.

After the 7days I will begin the saltwater cycling.

So far so good!

Should be back up and filming/photographing soon!

Unread 08/09/2016, 10:48 PM   #2606
ramasule
Registered Member

Dude you are unhinged,

Never stop.

ramasule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2016, 07:49 AM   #2607
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramasule View Post
Dude you are unhinged,

Never stop.
I haven't come all this way to stop

I can only, move forward!

Unread 08/14/2016, 10:09 AM   #2608
Kharn
MANTISMAN

3 WEEKS

Unread 08/23/2016, 08:04 AM   #2609
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Got the Refugium(s) in the Sump Sorted

4inch DSB on left with a bit of Macroalgae.
Loads of Live Rock in the Right with more Macroalgae.

Let the Cycle commence!

Unread 08/25/2016, 05:09 AM   #2610
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Life has Arrived

Large Bright Green Amphipods

Unread 08/27/2016, 04:21 AM   #2611
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Finished the external covers for the burrows to keep them dark inside and removable for viewing (filming / photography).

My minions here also went out and caught me some fish for the system to inevitably become food for the Giant Spearer Pair, I'm not picky, nor am I going to make them keep trying to catch "suitable" fish, what they catch is what is food.

Unread 09/04/2016, 08:23 AM   #2612
Kharn
MANTISMAN

BOOM HERE COMES THE BOOM!

BACK IN BUSINESS (picking up Giant Spearers tomorrow!)

Unread 09/04/2016, 02:58 PM   #2613
nmotz
Registered Member

Nice Kharn, tell us about him/her? How big/old? Show us a full tank shot too!

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2016, 04:22 AM   #2614
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmotz View Post
Nice Kharn, tell us about him/her? How big/old? Show us a full tank shot too!
She is between 5-6inchs long.

Full tank shots soon but they are fairly unique tanks in their design most might think they are ugly designs due to a lack of sand / live rock etc. just all Acrylic & PVC.

Unread 09/05/2016, 04:49 AM   #2615
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Picked up a pair of the BIGGEST giant spearers that I have ever seen today!

The female has adjusted very well and is already using the burrow in the tank but the male....is fighting for his life and I don't believe he will make it so I am going back to acquire another FREAK size male in the next few days IF this big bad boy doesn't make it, right now its a 95% death 5% life situation for him.

Unread 09/05/2016, 07:56 AM   #2616
Kharn
MANTISMAN

"Mrs." Leviathan

She is BIG but he was even BIGGER I will find another Gargantuan Male in a few days and pair them up.

I was worried for a moment that she couldn't fit her fat *** through the 3inch hole in the acrylic sheet but she jussst slid through so I'm hoping a even larger than her Male won't have problems =X...

Last edited by Kharn; 09/05/2016 at 08:03 AM.
Kharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2016, 10:08 AM   #2617
Kharn
MANTISMAN

New Footage is up on my YouTube page with a host of new things!

- Super High Quality Sound!
- Super High Quality Definition!
- Super High Quality Slow Motion!

Unread 10/17/2016, 04:19 PM   #2618
nmotz
Registered Member

Very cool stuff Kharn, glad to see you're having fun with a new Juggernaut. Beautiful colors on him too.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2016, 08:19 PM   #2619
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I'm just about to leave here after being here for 6months this year but I come back at the end of Decemeber and this time it will be filming for 6months solid because up until about 1month ago I was still having problems with the system here...

Also in order to acquire more footage more frequently I'm going to be splitting the tank into 3 compartments (each compartment still being over 100L) and have 3 peacocks instead of the 1 thus more footage more frequently.

Still having problems with the giant spearers here though...but I'm going to split that tank as well to get more spearers for more footage.

Unread 10/18/2016, 11:30 AM   #2620
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Juggernaut really showed his Dominance tonight!

It wasn't 1 crab or 3 crabs but 6 crabs!...AND a Coral Banded Shrimp which foolishly crawled over into the live crab compartment making for easy capture by me!

The tank was a war zone of thunderous bangs, severed limbs and flying fractured shell...

This marks the last video (and a good one at that) for this 6month venture, Juggernaut will eat heartily tonight and tomorrow I shall go for a snorkel and release the beast into the reef out front so that it might once again Dominate its surroundings in nature...it would be an ironic sentiment if I returned only to recapture this exact Peacock Mantis Shrimp ...however even if I did see it I wouldn't capture it again because when I return I only want FULL grown specimens.

But the Juggernaut 2.0 certainly didn't leave me unimpressed and as much as he did test me in the beginning...patience paid off as I stated in the past...To film a patient predator I must be more patient than the predator...

Unread 11/01/2016, 04:09 AM   #2621
j4ckfish
Registered Member

Do you have any photos of your complete set up and everything, sounds amazing

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

j4ckfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2016, 12:39 AM   #2622
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ckfish View Post
Do you have any photos of your complete set up and everything, sounds amazing

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Not really of the system I hadn't got around to that as I was still polishing things off but I will in the future.

I do however have a video of my detailing how I get my NSW etc.

Unread 11/03/2016, 04:34 AM   #2623
j4ckfish
Registered Member

thats awesome so efficient, so where about do you live and how easy is it for you to access mantis shrimp because I find it really hard to get them.

j4ckfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2016, 03:34 PM   #2624
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ckfish View Post
thats awesome so efficient, so where about do you live and how easy is it for you to access mantis shrimp because I find it really hard to get them.
I'm in Indonesia.

Unread 12/14/2016, 12:13 AM   #2625
Kharn
MANTISMAN

12 days and I return to the land of the Mantis!

This time there will only be a VERY brief waiting period because the system is totally complete so it will be 5-6months of solid daily stomatopod photos & videos!