Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2017, 10:45 AM   #1
EllaEresTu
Registered Member

Lightbulb Achieved: Dimming to 0% black box chinese lighting Mars Aqua

Hi.
I've been able to dim all the way down to off a black box lighting with its original power supply, but i'm not sure of how to replicate it, so I ask you for help.

You can see a longer explanation in the video and see how I got to where I am now, making my light controller.

I read all the post I could find about dimming these light fixtures with no luck, so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

Current Tank Info: 300l display+100 sump. all hand made by me
EllaEresTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 11:32 AM   #2
EllaEresTu
Registered Member

I finally did it!
Sounds crazy, but short circuiting the power supply output did the trick as I suspected (LOL!)

I'll post a video and a demonstration when I'm done with my controller.

Do it under your own responsibility
Thank you.

Unread 12/11/2017, 11:47 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yep.. Basically all the current is going through the short and the voltage will be below the Vf of the LEDs (zero) and as such they will not light at all

Unread 12/12/2017, 11:24 AM   #4
EllaEresTu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Yep.. Basically all the current is going through the short and the voltage will be below the Vf of the LEDs (zero) and as such they will not light at all
Nope. I'm talking about a brief shot circuit with leds disconnected that makes something in the power supply that enables 0% dimming. It's a 1 time operation.

You'll understand clearly if I ever finish this

Unread 12/12/2017, 01:07 PM   #5
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

It sounds like the PS had some sort of minimum voltage cutoff, and when your shorted it, you killed that part of the circuit.

Even though it's "working" as you want with full dimming, it would make me nervous to run like that, since that minimum voltage protection was probably there for a reason. Depending on the topology of the LED driver, it may need that protection to operate reliably or safely (ie not overheat).

If you've got the skills to set up dimming with an arduino then you probably have the skills to swap in dimmable drivers, right?

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 11:10 PM   #6
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Interesting, can’t wait for the video

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 05:53 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its drop dead simple to just use a relay to open the output circuit to turn off the LEDS completely.. and I too would caution against attempting to benefit from the internal shutdown circuits unless that function is supported by the manufacturer of the driver IC as a proper enable/disable function..
Its usually for catastrophic failure/safety protection and not intended for continual operation like that..

Just because it works doesn't mean its right..

Unread 12/13/2017, 06:45 AM   #8
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I'd be nervous about using a relay or anything else to break the output circuit while the driver was hot, unless I knew the specifics of the chip running the driver. Many chips will basically go wide open if there's an open circuit on the output side. Then when you reconnect, the LEDs are essentially being WAY overdriven until the circuit stabilizes, which will be brief but can still be long enough to eventually start popping LEDs. I can speak to this from experience. Plus, anything put in the circuit on the output side means the driver is seeing that thing as part of the load it's trying to regulate. When the circuit is closed and stable that's not a problem, but something like a relay can be noisy as it's opening and closing, and you never know what that noise is going to do.

Breaking the imput side is probably safer.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese 165w, chinese black box, diy led driver, led controller