Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2017, 07:59 PM   #1
LowHangingFruit
Registered Member

BTA closes up every day

My green BTA closes up/deflates around the same time every night (with a few more hours with the lights on left) but is back to normal the next morning. The lighting and flow very throughout the day but at the time of the BTA deflating, the light strength and flow have already been seen at some point in the day. Some nights it will spew white mucus (poop?) while looking unhappy.

I have a rose BTA on the other side of the tank that has no issues.

Any ideas?

Last edited by LowHangingFruit; 12/03/2017 at 08:31 PM.
LowHangingFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 04:30 AM   #2
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Hmm, I was just about to say that it is normal that they have smaller size at night but you already have one that is doing better.

Hmm, so this one must be having a problem.
How long did you have this one?

I have read that people say, that anemones will kill eachother with toxins released into the water column. I have also read that people keep more anemones together that are happy and fine with it.

About the white stuff, have you seen a milky substance come from the tip of the tentacles?
Or does it come like those slimy layers or strings of mucus coming from everywhere kinda?

If you just got it, this can just be a short period where the Nem is rebalancing, but you better try to figure out all options anyway while hoping for the best.

Did you get a good look at it, did it have any sign of damages from import and handling when you got it?

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 12:42 PM   #3
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

To me your two clowns are being pretty rough on the btas, sometimes my does this if the clowns keep swimming right into it to try to make the btas to open up.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 08:31 PM   #4
LowHangingFruit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Heavens View Post
Hmm, I was just about to say that it is normal that they have smaller size at night but you already have one that is doing better.

Hmm, so this one must be having a problem.
How long did you have this one?

I have read that people say, that anemones will kill eachother with toxins released into the water column. I have also read that people keep more anemones together that are happy and fine with it.

About the white stuff, have you seen a milky substance come from the tip of the tentacles?
Or does it come like those slimy layers or strings of mucus coming from everywhere kinda?

If you just got it, this can just be a short period where the Nem is rebalancing, but you better try to figure out all options anyway while hoping for the best.

Did you get a good look at it, did it have any sign of damages from import and handling when you got it?
It’s been in for around three months now. I’ve never heard of BTAs attaching echother but the other one is on the other side of the 180 gal aquarium. The mucus is coming from the mouth.

Unread 12/05/2017, 08:40 PM   #5
LowHangingFruit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznflyfisherman View Post
To me your two clowns are being pretty rough on the btas, sometimes my does this if the clowns keep swimming right into it to try to make the btas to open up.
They really don’t seem too rough with it and the new is fine with them being there all day until later in the evening when it deflates.

Unread 12/06/2017, 08:29 AM   #6
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Weird, three months should be enough for it to have adjusted to the new conditions.
Perhaps it is just more sleepy than other anemones.
Does it eat?

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 08:57 AM   #7
abrooks12376
Registered Member

Are you having ph or temps swings? Mine did this after a big cleaning/wc. It was fine the next day but it def got ****ed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

abrooks12376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 12:03 PM   #8
Kinetic
Registered Member

I have two BTA's that do really weird things right around "sunset" time. One of mine completely deflates into the rock (starts as a 7" BTA when open down to a tiny circle inside the rock) every OTHER night. It'll come back out in the middle of the evening. But this is like clockwork.

The other BTA does a number of strange things around sunset. Deflates its tentacles only. Balloons up it's body. Tucks it's tentacles tightly in. Loses all bubbles in the tips, etc. It's alway something different. Once the lights turn off, it's back to normal until the next "sunset" time.

If mine have been alive and well for awhile and is any indication of normal healthy behavior, then I think yours is probably OK. Just keep an eye on the mouth tightness, coloration, etc.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 05:55 PM   #9
LowHangingFruit
Registered Member

The temp never swings more than .5-1 degrees with around the pH swing being around 2.

During some of the deflating episodes, the mouth will be open and usually releases the stringy mucus at this time.