Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2004, 02:36 PM   #76
piscies75
Registered Member

regal angel

re: only last a few hours. that was in my 35 gallon but this tank has suffered serious neglect since my 180 going. Just emailed MArine Central. they will not ship to Canada but said sometimes Regals will eat clams in the shell. I have located another one but the fish is just nipping at food, they say this is good. Also they only recommend straight into a reef tank. DOes anyone know if the zoos they may eat are good for them?

piscies75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2004, 04:44 PM   #77
Tremelle
Registered Member

Yes, eating zoos are good for them. The problem is when that is all they will eat. Feeding zoos to a Regal would get expensive pretty quick.

Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2004, 07:26 PM   #78
gofor100
Registered Member

I am tagging along on this one...Regal's are beautiful fish

Current Tank Info: Tank Build in Progress
gofor100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2004, 09:15 PM   #79
reefyguy
Registered Member

WELL...MINE STILL ISNT EATING..GOING INTO DAY 4
TRIED NORI AND BRINE SHRIMP...I MAY BE #$#$#4E3

reefyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2004, 09:59 PM   #80
piscies75
Registered Member

regal not eating

The Regal Angelfish, Pygoplites diacanthus

BobFenner@WetWebMedia.com
In the Red Sea and Redang, Malaysia

Of the many species of marine angelfishes offered to the hobby, some groups are sure winners. Most "dwarf angels (e.g. the genera Centropyge and Genicanthus) readily accept aquarium conditions, eagerly eat all types of prepared foods, exhibit good disease resistance and stay reasonably small and non-aggressive. The same can be said for many of the larger Pacific and Atlantic angels. Except for getting too large for undersized systems various Pomacanthus (e.g. French, Gray, Emperor, Koran), Holacanthus (e.g. king or Passer's, Queen, Blue), Apolemichthys (e.g. A. xanthurus, the Indian Yellow-Tailed Angel) are generally quite hardy and easy to keep in captive conditions as long as provided with sufficient tank space, food, and water quality.

The Regal Angel, Pygoplites diacanthus, is our notable exception. It is indeed unfortunate that such a beauty rarely accepts food in captivity. In this article I'll gladly offer you insights as to what has "worked" with this angel and other members of the family.

The Group: Family Pomacanthidae

There are about eighty five described species of marine angels, in nine recognized genera; Pygoplites being monotypic, that is having only the one species, P. diacanthus. At any moment some twenty or so angels are offered in the ornamental trade with twice that number available annually. The present subject, the regal is, in my opinion, too often found; sold to the unwary aquarist by less-than-knowledgeable dealers.

Pomacanthids are found worldwide in tropical seas in shallow to six-hundred foot depths. They are closely related to butterflyfishes from which pomacanthids can be separated on the basis of possessing a prominent cheek spine (-acanthus) which butterflies lack.

Pygoplites diacanthus (Boddaert 1772), the Regal Angelfish. Indo-Pacific; Red Sea, East Africa to the Tuamotus, north to southern Japan. To ten inches in length. Note the gray chest area of this Fijian specimen. The more desirable, hardier Indian Ocean and Red Sea ones have an orange chest area. Below, tiny 2 and 3 cm. specimens photographed in captivity by Hiroyuki Tanaka.

Habitat:

Regal angels are found ranging widely over rich coral areas, ducking in and out of crevices. These sheltering caverns are always places of good circulation.

Water quality. I acknowledge Hemdal with pointing out that angels be introduced to established systems only. They do not weather nitrogen cycling changes well. Wait till the aquarium has been set up a good three to four months before introducing angels. Gunther Dawal in Prof. Ladiges Aquarium Digest International piece credits strong water circulation and frequent water changes with his success with Pygoplites.

Tank size should be at least four feet in length, sixty-plus gallons for even a small regal. They attain a length of about a foot in captivity, two in the wild.

Foods/Feeding:

An important factor in failure and success in keeping angels. I recommend at least once daily an offering of a meaty food; chopped fresh or frozen clam, crab, shrimp, squid... and some source of greenery. Marine algae are best; you can grow some of these, others can be purchased from the oriental section at your food store. Lettuce made mushy by freezing, spinach, husked peas are used by some. Some personal acquaintances that have had success keeping regals on more standard fare advise avoiding gelatin-based frozen foods. There are excellent preparations made without gelatin and these are much better for your angels. Check the labels for ingredients.

Live rock and dry-prepared foods are accepted often, but should not be considered staples. Live saltwater foods are unnecessary for marine angels and too easily introduce disease. Stick with frozen.

Refusing food for a few days should not overly concern you; however large angels do have hearty appetites. Feeding strikes cal for water changes, vitamin-based feeding stimulants and a switch-up in foods offered. A fresh opened shellfish often works wonders. Your specimens ought to have an overall plump appearance when in good condition. San Francisco Bay Brands are excellent.

Our most problematic area with regal angels is nutrition. Pygoplites feeds almost exclusively on tunicates (sea squirts) and sponges in the wild. Allen and Steene (1979) give this species their most difficult species rating for the amount of care required.

taken from : http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fi...ls/pygoplites/

Unread 10/12/2004, 10:04 PM   #81
reefyguy
Registered Member

thanks..good to know that a few days on non-eating can be normal...i am not a praying man but I have said a few

Unread 10/12/2004, 10:20 PM   #82
Pianoplayer
Registered Member

better to isolate it alone to train it for taking food, after 2 weeks if she still don't eat, then

Current Tank Info: Fish only tank
Pianoplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2004, 03:22 AM   #83
Pianoplayer
Registered Member

here is the one living with me now

Unread 10/13/2004, 10:47 AM   #84
madmac
Registered Member

sickly regal angel

I have been looking for such a fish since I saw the Reefkeeping's September TOTM. I fell in love with it and have been trying to acquire one since. (-- John Copps, those are very nice pics and what a sight to behold!)

Finally, I chance upon one last Saturday...saw it fed dried prawns... the fish was covered with white fluffy fungus and it had a 2mm hole on the right cheek and also 3mm hole with fungus, left side of body somewhere in the centre. The fins was covered with fungus and the end tail was half rotted off... the bottom tail, just under the end tail was also half gone.

The eyes are bright and the fish seem alert. Her gills were also breathing quite steadily.

I released her after a 5 min dip in fresh tap water, pH treated. She didn't take long to find a place of refuge. On Sunday, Day 1 after I have acquired her, all the fluffy fungus is visibly gone from the body and the tail... what is left are the holes on the cheek and the body and some scares...

Day5, because of my day job, I'm unable to look out for the fish during the day... she does not come out until I've left, and most times after I return, the fish would be at its hiding place, right smack in the back centre of the tank. I'm told by my wife that the fish comes out only after I've left...darn! She remains most times on the outside. Some portions of the tail have started to grow... it grows fast but still not complete.

I'm unable to feed her, or rather she's not taken to food. I've tried fresh prawns, pallet and flake food and nori. My NO3 I think would have gone up as I've overfed the tank in hope that she'll take to some food.

I'll be prepared to try anything to treat her especially to get her to eat... the only thing I not prepared to do is to take her out of the tank as I find that it gives her comfort. I'll be changing some water tomorrow after work to make sure that the water is in good condition. Thanks to all in advance of your reply.

mm

Ps : the pic was taken on Day4

madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2004, 01:18 PM   #85
copps
Premium Member

Re: sickly regal angel

Quote:
Originally posted by madmac
I have been looking for such a fish since I saw the Reefkeeping's September TOTM. I fell in love with it and have been trying to acquire one since. (-- John Copps, those are very nice pics and what a sight to behold!)
Thanks and good luck... mine continues to thrive I'd love to pair him up in the future...

for those who haven't seen captive breeding regals, check this out complete with video...

mating regals

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2004, 02:51 PM   #86
reefyguy
Registered Member

still hasnt eaten....tried the angel fish cubes and it didnt work...damn thing is it comes out and just swims all around the food but doesent eat it.

Unread 10/14/2004, 04:49 AM   #87
Pianoplayer
Registered Member

that's amazed, how they get paired?

Unread 10/14/2004, 08:38 AM   #88
reefyguy
Registered Member

picking at the rocks last night..positive sign

Unread 10/14/2004, 08:42 AM   #89
piscies75
Registered Member

picking

very positive sign, picking at rocks.
don't think quarantine is the way to go.
anybody know if they will try to eat my large 3 cleaner shrimp?

Unread 10/14/2004, 05:23 PM   #90
piscies75
Registered Member

hurray a credit

hi the LFS said they just got in some Regals from Phillipines but not near the nice colour of the Red Sea ones. They are giving me a credit for the one that died the same day I got him. Next shipment expected in two months. Gives me lot of time to prepare my tank. happy now.

Unread 10/14/2004, 08:13 PM   #91
kiffo
Registered Member

hey pianoplayer I'm a bit shocked by your seeming lack of morals, how many of these beautiful fish have sentenced to death?? Perhaps you should just look at them in the shop and then leave them the hell alone for someone with a hope of keeping them alive. Striving to keep a fish alive for 6 months?? Try 6 years as this is what the responsible keeper is strivng for at the least! Sure things happen we make mistakes but what you're doing is wrong IMO, make the mistake, but learn from it! Don't kill more! You and your tank are obviously not ready for this delicate fish, I don't mean to be nasty but I'm sure my opinion is held by other members on the forum, if it weren't i'd be dissapointed.

kiffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2004, 10:42 PM   #92
madmac
Registered Member

Day+6. The Regal comes out more often and is easily seen most times... unless I approach too close to the tank walls, she is often checking out the entire tank... able to see her pecking at the rocks... too little for my liking.

The fungi is gone... scares still remain on the body and tail. Swims often to the cleaner shrimp for a job, noticed some ick also appearing now, not out of the woods yet... she appears a little slow mo/daze... not sure if these are traits of the Regal... graceful or stun? I mean she's not as quick/fast as the PT or the pygmies, just gliding in the water, then up the the surface and back down again. Anyone?

Bought two small colonies of zoos in the hope that she'll feed on them.

Unread 10/16/2004, 09:38 AM   #93
madmac
Registered Member

Regal takes food.

D+7. She has taken to granulated food, Sera's "Granu Marin"... just a few.. was seen with more intent when pecking at rocks and the algae on the pipes. The white dots turn out to be fungi again, growing bigger and 'eating' on the the newly repaired fins/tail. : (

Fish is more alert... left the zoos alone... the CS is too full, from an overfed tank, to care for the sickly fish. Did a 1/5 water change. Trying Formula TWO and Cyclop-eeze wafer in the AM.

Unread 10/16/2004, 02:30 PM   #94
nbd13
Registered Member

hey i am considering getting one of these, i lovve them!

but are they ok with clams?

anyone have any problems witht clams?

it will go in a 180 SPS/Clam tank with the following fish,
2 neon gobies (pair)
2 ocellaris clowns (pair)
Social Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis)
2 Bellus Angels (pair)
Flame Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus jordani) REGULAR BUT SMALLER
Laboutei Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus laboutei)
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lineatus) SUPER MALE
Desjardinii Salfin Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang

thanks!

Nick

nbd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2004, 03:49 AM   #95
hickers89
Registered Member

BUMP - thread that I am interested in , so long as people remain concientious

Unread 10/18/2004, 05:34 AM   #96
reefyguy
Registered Member

WEll the regal looks like it has pulled through. It ate some mysis off the powerhead and also a few flakes.I added cyclopeeze to the food mixture this time and it seemed to work. Either that or the fish finally decided to eat. Hopefully this continues to be the case

Unread 10/18/2004, 10:43 PM   #97
gofor100
Registered Member

This fish will hopefully be one of the centerpieces of my dream 500G tank...in about 10 years. For now, just gaining as much experience with my 60 gallon reef, and once I find my permanent house and convert into my 500G custom mixed reef tank, I'll be happy as a pig in mud.

Current Tank Info: Tank Build in Progress
gofor100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2004, 02:08 AM   #98
madmac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefyguy
WEll the regal looks like it has pulled through. It ate some mysis off the powerhead and also a few flakes.I added cyclopeeze to the food mixture this time and it seemed to work. Either that or the fish finally decided to eat. Hopefully this continues to be the case
Hi, great to hear that! I'm not having too much success in getting it to take food willingly... on D+8, I had to had to take her out of the main tank into a QT... for too many obvious reasons(now). She is a very finicky eater, often swimming to the food and then away... and I wonder if that has to do with the size of this fish, about 3 inches long.

Believe the white stuff is Lymphocystis, which is off again now.

... waiting patiently.

Unread 10/23/2004, 11:29 AM   #99
gosman
Registered Member

hiya,
i am trying to keep this thread going due to the fact that i am getting one tomorrow{sunday} been waiting three months for the right one.
chris.

gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2004, 10:02 PM   #100
mikeo1210
Premium Member

How are they doing?

mikeo1210 is offline   Reply With Quote