Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/29/2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

Big tank, big fish, bigger and bigger reason to qt!

Will all your fish now fit into one qt?

Remember that treatment for ich requires 12 weeks without fish in your display tank, and 4 weeks of all fish in hypo. And there are diseases out there as well as parasites. In spite of the fact water quality is some protection for your fish, if you sit on the train track and hope for the best, a train is a distinct likelihood on a train track. Just sayin'.

Are your fish now too large or too many to fit into your qt all at the same time?

Do the math.

It is MUCH cheaper to qt each fish while it's small than ALL fish once they're grown.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2010, 12:09 PM   #2
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Great post on a great topic/idea. All I want to add is that for the price, those 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks can't be beat. Even the 150 gallon ones for folks with smaller tanks. These can be used as the original QT and pulled back out into use if anything happens down the road. And space being a limiting factor doesn't fly...does your wife REALLY need a table in the 'dining' room?

TampaReefer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2010, 12:18 PM   #3
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I used to have a 100g tank as a backup should something go down hill. That was originally for a 150g tank that is now my sump. I have a 250g rubbermaid should it hit the fan BUT I have decided no more fish till I get a bigger tank. I also have all the corals I want, need to get rid of some.

I am at the point that I should not be introducing disease... however I do have that Rubbermaid should something bad happen. I really hope thats not the case.

On my last tank upgrade my 150 split a seam a few days before setting up the 360... The 100g is what saved my fish and some of my coral.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

That split seam is another grounds for thought and a very good point: plastic degrades over time, especially in a hot garage, so if it's been years since you had to use a plastic qt tank, best know that it's capable of holding up under pressure.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 12/29/2010, 01:18 PM   #5
dzfish17
Registered Member

I have to admit that Im one of those old-timers that never QT anything. Ive been reading all this stuff about the benefits of QT and decided to do things the right way on my current project.

My new tank is so tall that once I put a fish in, it will be almost impossible to remove. I just dont want to take a chance on introducing something into the tank.

I bought a 46g bow and I will QT everything before it goes into the big tank. Even old dogs like me can learn some new tricks.

Dave

Unread 12/29/2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

It's sure a lot easier to qt one little fish at a time than treat a big tank full of big ones. Note the new suggested qt/acclimation combo procedure on the newbie sticky list. It turns 2 jobs into one and is safer to boot.

Unread 12/29/2010, 01:59 PM   #7
tkeracer619
Registered Member

There is no way I could ever treat my whole tank now that its stocked.

To do that would require some serious filtration and with the rubbermaid sitting in the storage room there is no way I can get something ready in a few hours that could sustain the bioload I currently have if the intent is to medicate.

I do keep some pvc structures and bioballs in a mesh bag in my sump in case something goes wrong or I do get a new addition. I just stick them in a hob and put the pvc in for hiding places along with some plastic plants. I have puttied the bases of the plants so they sink.

I have a 55g or a 20g depending on the fish. Once the system is no longer needed I toss the stuff in some bleach for a couple hours, rinse well, let dry overnight, and toss back into my sump for next time.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2010, 02:17 PM   #8
dogstar74
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaReefer79 View Post
And space being a limiting factor doesn't fly...does your wife REALLY need a table in the 'dining' room?
C'mon, an old bedroom door with the hinges taken off and laid over the top of the stock tank makes a fine dining room table. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
dogstar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2010, 03:46 PM   #9
gary faulkner
Registered Member

265 Display with 3 29 gal and two 55 gal QTs or hospital whichever I need. I know most people don't have this kind of room but I have and I really enjoy it or maybe you could say that I'm really obsessed with the hobby.

gary faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2011, 06:46 PM   #10
chogendoorn
Registered Member

Hey I have a question on QT tanks. How long should I be seeding my filter media in the DT to get it ready for my QT?
Thanks, Sk8r you add an incredible amount of value to the site
Chris

chogendoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2011, 10:27 AM   #11
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar74 View Post
C'mon, an old bedroom door with the hinges taken off and laid over the top of the stock tank makes a fine dining room table. You can have your cake and eat it too.

My wife keeps complaining about my 500 gallon tank in the 'dining room' and the fact that I made an executive decision to put the dining table in our kitchen.

I keep telling her, 'Stop saying there is a fish tank in the dining room and start saying I used to allow a table in my fish room'.

TampaReefer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2011, 12:09 PM   #12
gary faulkner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaReefer79 View Post

My wife keeps complaining about my 500 gallon tank in the 'dining room' and the fact that I made an executive decision to put the dining table in our kitchen.

I keep telling her, 'Stop saying there is a fish tank in the dining room and start saying I used to allow a table in my fish room'.
U DA MAN!!!

Current Tank Info: 300G SPS
gary faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote