Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2011, 08:19 AM   #276
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
If I have to do something that requirers cutting my corals off the rocks just so I can kill something that might come back, I would go to a fish only tank with little to no light or fresh water. I will not fight this crap forever! Not trying to be a drama queen, I'm just sick of this stuff. As always I appreciate the suggestions & encouragement though.

Jim
Try the scrubber and keep up on the weekly/bi-weekly prunings. If you don't see a reduction in 2-3 months you've done whta you can. Unfortunately, I think there are some systems that are setup doomed from the beginning and it's just the way it happens. Nothing about the equipment, bioload, feedings or maintenance schedule in particular is wrong just not the right mix. I had cyano for the longest time (2-4yrs). It drove me nuts to the point I started the initial scrubber. It reduced the cyano, but never eliminated it. I moved that same tank 18 months ago and added a rubbermaid stock tank sump and lagoon. I have had zero cyano outbreaks with the same livestock (if not more) since this system was reassembled. I know algae is a whole other bucket-o-poo, but keep experimenting and you will find a happy medium.

Save 'Wild' Nemo and his Nem.! Would you transplant a Redwood b/c it looks good with birds in the backyard??? Buy CB fish and Captive-Cloned nems.

Current Tank Info: 175gal. 3-tier Reef, 400W/250W Radiums, LED/CFL Par38 Mangrove Lagoon 12g Aquapod GBTA 'sterile' tank w/ DIY LED Lighting
DeathWish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2011, 08:17 AM   #277
nattarbox
Registered Member

The worst part about my personal story is that I can distinctly remember the frag that brought byropsis into my tank. One little strand popped up from amongst the branches of the coral, and this entire year long ordeal could have been prevented right there by simply pulling the plug out.

Hell I even took a picture of it. Although in my defense, the 20k LEDs I had just put in place definitely made it hard to immediately identity as algae.

Something New

A strong argument for a coral quarantine tank.

nattarbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2011, 08:40 AM   #278
Elliott
Registered Member

nattarbox, same exact thing happened to me, I saw it and could have easily removed it back then, I battled for a year and ended up breaking the tank down, I now have a coral QT

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2011, 11:01 AM   #279
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattarbox View Post
The worst part about my personal story is that I can distinctly remember the frag that brought byropsis into my tank. One little strand popped up from amongst the branches of the coral, and this entire year long ordeal could have been prevented right there by simply pulling the plug out.

Hell I even took a picture of it. Although in my defense, the 20k LEDs I had just put in place definitely made it hard to immediately identity as algae.

Something New

A strong argument for a coral quarantine tank.
I agree remove it when you see it in the early stages, but I'm not too inclined to think it wouldn't of happened eventually. I have had plugs that after MANY months in my system start sprouting bryopsis and other's that start immediately day three of entry. These are all virgin plugs or have been bleached from prior purchases. I have a feeling that bryopsis is lurking in most all systems, but it's a matter of when it will rear it's ugly face. I attribute this to potentially bound up PO4 or decay.

A perfect example is a new 'floating' magnetic colony rock I made from some rubble and shells I had from FL from a trip about 2 yrs ago. The rock was bleached and boiled, but the HA started growing rapidly on this new addition. It could only be a build-up of decaying matter or PO4 that could drive this growth.

Moral of the story is thorough inspection and continual maintenance will reduce and eventually eliminate (almost) any tank nuisance. I'd rather be pulling some HA and squirting the occassional aiptasia/mojano than weeding the garden anyday. Guess it's different for every person.

Save 'Wild' Nemo and his Nem.! Would you transplant a Redwood b/c it looks good with birds in the backyard??? Buy CB fish and Captive-Cloned nems.

Current Tank Info: 175gal. 3-tier Reef, 400W/250W Radiums, LED/CFL Par38 Mangrove Lagoon 12g Aquapod GBTA 'sterile' tank w/ DIY LED Lighting
Unread 10/19/2011, 09:12 PM   #280
nattarbox
Registered Member

Any tips on manual removal in the tank?

I can pull off strands easily enough, but getting that last quarter inch that covers the rocks is hard. Toothbrush wasn't doing much, I don't think the bristles were stiff enough.

Doesn't help that a surly female clownfish has decided to bit the hand that feeds her now.

Unread 10/20/2011, 10:10 AM   #281
Peetz
Registered Member

Is this the same thing we are talking about?

This stuff is everywhere! What is this stuff taking over my shrooms?

I would like to get rid of it. Any help?

Peetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2011, 03:47 PM   #282
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Quote:
Any tips on manual removal in the tank?

I can pull off strands easily enough, but getting that last quarter inch that covers the rocks is hard. Toothbrush wasn't doing much, I don't think the bristles were stiff enough.

Doesn't help that a surly female clownfish has decided to bit the hand that feeds her now.
My manual removal is a little different for each area of the tank. I try to let it keep growing on the coast-to-coast overflow and back glass as long as possible until it's hideous. Then the razor blade emerges from the frag kit and I take huge patched all at once with the water drained below this to not let any strands loose.

On rocks that are fairly smooth, I literally use 100-200grit sandpaper. Works like a charm and it's usually gone for good on smoother surfaces or until it reseeds there again.

On rough rock, I've just become accustomed to some residual algae and try choking it with other algae in the lagoon and controlled feedings. It's definitely a balance. After I go on biz travel or vacation for a week, I usually have to fight algae for about 4-8 weeks after due to not as controlled feedings with pellets.

Regardless if you like HA or not, at least you know that your system is fairly healthy if HA is growing. Your not starving your reef and just have a minor imbalance of input versus output. Try not to sweat it and do the best you can with controlled feedings, PO4 testing/GFO changes & the occassional pruning session. It took me nearly 5 months, but I erradicated majano only by persistence.

If I showed you my nano, you would see what could happen w/o persistence and this attention. That's a whole other matter though.....

Unread 10/23/2011, 09:12 AM   #283
nattarbox
Registered Member

Good tips, thanks guys.

Magnesium levels are up to 1500ppm. I should be around 1850 in three weeks if it continues to increase at the same rate. Can't say I've seen much of a difference in growth yet.

I've started a vodka regimen as well, I successfully beat a nasty case of cyanobacteria with that method two years ago, so I figured it was worth a shot. I've also been paying closer attention to pH and alkalinity levels. At the very least, my corals are looking happy.

Unread 10/23/2011, 10:09 AM   #284
nattarbox
Registered Member

This individual seems to believe that Kent M magnesium is required, not just regular magnesium level increases. I was thinking about trying it anyway because the Seachem crystal stuff is a pain to dissolve on a daily basis.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=28278

Last edited by nattarbox; 10/23/2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Forgot the link.
Unread 10/24/2011, 03:50 PM   #285
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Quote:
Good tips, thanks guys.

Magnesium levels are up to 1500ppm. I should be around 1850 in three weeks if it continues to increase at the same rate. Can't say I've seen much of a difference in growth yet.

I've started a vodka regimen as well, I successfully beat a nasty case of cyanobacteria with that method two years ago, so I figured it was worth a shot. I've also been paying closer attention to pH and alkalinity levels. At the very least, my corals are looking happy.
I'm not buying into the high Mg level decreasing algae growth. Mine has been hovering around 1620-1680ppm due to the higher level of the IO I have been using for the past couple years. Let us know if a decline with the Tech M, but I still don't think it is a cure unless you control the balance of input vs. output.

Unread 10/25/2011, 09:53 AM   #286
nattarbox
Registered Member

What is "the higher level of the IO" that you're referring to?

It took me about a month to get from normal saltwater levels up to 1500, so I'd be interested to hear how you're maintaining it that high. I've been specifically avoiding water changes because they would quickly lower my magnesium levels and set me backwards.

Also from what I've read on that other forum, folks are speculating that it isn't actually the magnesium, but some other trace element (maybe copper) present in the Kent-M that is detrimental to the bryopsis.

Unread 10/26/2011, 07:04 AM   #287
nattarbox
Registered Member

This morning I switched from the Seachem magnesium dose at 25g (raising 25ppm daily) to the Kent liquid stuff. Starting the dose at 50ml, double what they suggest, which should raise levels 36.6ppm per day. I'm going to maintain that for a week and increase it again if I don't see any negative effects. I will probably start testing daily as well. I was at 1500ppm on Sunday.

Unread 10/26/2011, 02:33 PM   #288
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Quote:
What is "the higher level of the IO" that you're referring to?

It took me about a month to get from normal saltwater levels up to 1500, so I'd be interested to hear how you're maintaining it that high. I've been specifically avoiding water changes because they would quickly lower my magnesium levels and set me backwards.

Also from what I've read on that other forum, folks are speculating that it isn't actually the magnesium, but some other trace element (maybe copper) present in the Kent-M that is detrimental to the bryopsis.
Purely performing WC with IO is how it has been at that level. I perform a 2% WC every other day and the IO has a Mg level of somewhere around 1700ppm the last time I checked. This is an old pallet of IO from a couple years back from my last bulk purchase. If you go back to 2009-2010, you'll see a sporatic burst of threads from high Mg & alk in IO. Since I don't do a massive WC, I'm not too concerned with the elevated levels, except that Mg hasn't fallen in some time since I switched to BRS Ca pellets. Seems the corals don't absorb as much Mg with the change to the BRS CaCl pellets compared to the previous Dow product.

As for adding huge quantities of TechM and potentially another element, which you are not testing for, seems like a bad idea. Why risk poisoning everything in the tank for the sake or q quick fix? Remember, you corals have algae constituents too.

Unread 10/27/2011, 01:03 PM   #289
nattarbox
Registered Member

Ah, IO = Instant Ocean. Got it.

Quote:
Why risk poisoning everything in the tank for the sake or q quick fix?
Couple reasons:

1. If I don't defeat this algae, the tank isn't worth keeping.
2. I need to eradicate it before I can move corals to a new tank.
3. Nothing else has worked for me.
4. People have reported this method works.

I've been ramping up magnesium levels at a much slower pace specifically to observe and prevent any harmful effects, so not too worried about that.

Anyway, day two of the Kent and the bryopsis has lot a lot of color, starting to appear gray. And it almost appears to have lost some of the characteristic "feathering". I'm going to do some manual removal tonight to see if it feels different or weakened.

Last edited by nattarbox; 10/27/2011 at 01:08 PM.
Unread 10/27/2011, 01:04 PM   #290
nattarbox
Registered Member

So far, if anything, my corals have appeared much more vibrant since I started this regimen. The daily attention has resulted in testing a number of other variants, and making some adjustments to the pH, alkalinity and calcium as well.

Unread 10/27/2011, 03:35 PM   #291
nattarbox
Registered Member

Magnesium tested at 1700ppm, up from 1500ppm on the 23rd. That is rising about twice as fast as I had previously been targeting, and most of it is probably from within the past two days when I switched to the Kent liquid additive and upped the dosage to 50ml.

Pulling out some of the bryopsis, I noticed that the stalks had become clear. The strands, which normally resemble feathers, had grouped together, giving it the "gloopy" appearance I had noticed earlier today. Interestingly, only the patches directly under one of my lights and somewhat out of the primary flow from the Vortech are showing this. Another patch appears as it always has.

I'm not quite sure where to go now. I don't want to go too far past 1700ppm, but this is also the first visible sign of the algae weakening. I might skip tomorrow's dose and observe what happens to the algae and the levels.

Unread 02/15/2012, 12:28 PM   #292
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

any updates on Bryopsis successes?

Unread 02/28/2012, 03:15 PM   #293
brandon429
Registered Member.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2082359

Id call that effective. we are up to about 12 pages of killing every known reef pest.
B

Last edited by brandon429; 02/28/2012 at 03:49 PM.
brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 07:11 PM   #294
BfishLpond78
FUPA

Anyone ID this algae that choking zoas?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1345684277483.jpg (67.8 KB, 83 views)

Current Tank Info: 150G Starfire, BK DC 200, Vertex V6, PS Kore 5th, Ecotech Waves, Controlled by Apex, Topped off by Tunze
BfishLpond78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2012, 10:30 AM   #295
brandon429
Registered Member.

One dip of those as covered in my post above and they will be clean in two days.

brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2012, 11:39 AM   #296
Elliott
Registered Member

I may have finally had success treating Bryopsis. After raising Mg (via Kent or Brightwell) to 1800, I have a continuous Mg drip via a peristaltic pump 24/7 to maintain that level, Bryopsis has disappeared without a reoccurrence in 6 months, no ill effects on livestock

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Unread 08/23/2012, 11:50 AM   #297
BfishLpond78
FUPA

What about rocks that cannot be taken out of the tank?

Current Tank Info: 150G Starfire, BK DC 200, Vertex V6, PS Kore 5th, Ecotech Waves, Controlled by Apex, Topped off by Tunze
BfishLpond78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2012, 12:02 PM   #298
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfishLpond78 View Post
What about rocks that cannot be taken out of the tank?

I have not removed anything from the DT. In the past, after treating with Kent/Brightwell Mg the Bryopsis went away, only to return even with Mg dosing weekly. However with continuous Mg dosing it has not returned. There may be some benefit in a continuous Mg drip after raising the level.

TOTM, March 2015

Unread 01/16/2013, 10:36 PM   #299
SantaMonica
Registered Member

For those who like green in their tanks, and if it's not hurting anything, just can just leave it there.

Unread 06/24/2013, 04:16 PM   #300
Turbomesodon
Registered Member

I own a 22G and 2 years old reef aquarium. I had the Bryopsis plague more or less under control until a great bloom last week. I have tried Salarias blenny and a Diadema setosum sea urchin before and nothing happened. I may try a small Zebrasoma for some weeks or a pinkcushion Mespilia globulus ( i had one long ago and seemed to feed on them but grew so big)

I have a couple of tiny gobies and an Alpheus soror so....no feeding at all. My NO3 and PO4 levels are almost null. 480 ppm of calcium and 1500 ppm of magnesium. My KH hardness decreased to 6 for some days. Could it be the cause of the algae bloom? I dose TheraP and Special Blend from Microbe Lift every week. Algae are damaging lower parts of some Acropora and Galaxea and covering some Zooanthus and Palythoa. I rum a Turboflotor 500 from TMC skimmer, LED illumination and a 250 gallons per hour pump.

Should i try a yellow tang? i know where to relocate it after the work is done.

Any other advise? I dont mind trying animals or Caulerpa....or whatever. Do not want to re-start my tank again. I dont know if my own problem is from nutrients or any chemical.

Thank you guys!

Turbomesodon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bryopsis, hair algae