Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2020, 10:19 PM   #1
Roemer3
Registered Member

Cylinder Reef Stand Build

Hey guys, I've been racking my brain for quite some time now on how to build a cylinder stand for my 220g reef tank. I've got a 5' diameter rimless tank made with 1" acrylic.

I've looked at lots of images online but the truth is this is a rare tank and there really isn't a lot available for me to build off of.

This is my 3rd reef tank and I want this one to be really special so I'm trying to find the perfect stand that I'm able to build.

Any ideas on where I could buy one or how I could build an awesome one would be super appreciated, I plan to share the build process in here as I'm sure most reefers would like to see this project. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

-Ryan

Roemer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2020, 08:57 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/aqua...nd-canopy.aspx

A quick search gave me this, look @ stands by shape.

Unread 01/28/2020, 01:05 PM   #3
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

You will want a thing called wiggle board. Its a 1/8" flexible wood that can be purchased with a nice veneer. You make a frame as you want it and bend the board around the frame.

It gets harder if you want doors, but its doable.

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2020, 11:28 AM   #4
Misled
RC Mod

Look here.

Unread 01/29/2020, 12:14 PM   #5
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I would adapt the Rocket Engineer stand plans to your round tank. Maybe the first step would be to trace the outline of your tank onto plywood, to get your top and bottom. Obviously, a five foot diameter tank won't fit on a standard 4x8' plywood, so maybe do half and half. You might even consider looking at round, wooden table tops. If you have an overflow in the middle, you might build it like a donut/hub and spokes. Just some thoughts.

A five foot round tank sounds amazing! I understand your wanting it to be right. Best of luck with it. I'll definitely be following along!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2020, 06:45 PM   #6
on the spot
Registered Member

Stacks of segmented rings might turn out nice. different.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote