profanity removed, aquariums,saltwater,fish,corals,discussion,message board,aquarium lighting,reefs,reef aquarium,marine,LPS corals,SPS corals,soft corals,large polyped stony,small polyped stony,blenny,damsels,clownfish,mandarinfish,goby,tangs,gorgonians,colt corals,acropora,leather,brain,aquarium filtration, berlin method, live sand, live rock, fluorescent lighting, metal halide lighting,VHO lighting,kalkwasser,top-off systems,protein skimmers,sumps,powerheads,wavemakers,Pinpoint monitors,PH monitors,salinity meters,bubble,galaxy,clams,hermit crabs, snails,shrimp,trumpet,scooter blenny,feather duster,worms,bristleworms,algae,calcium,supplements,aquarium supplements,iodine,fish food,reef aquariums,reefkeeping,saltwater aquariums,MH lighting,Lobophyllia,Wellsophyllia,Trachyphyllia,favia,Euphyllia,Plerogyra,Galaxea,Fungia,Caulastrea,Turbinaria,Seriatopora,Porites,Sarcophyton,Sinularia,Cladiella,Dendronephthya,Nepthea,Capnella,Zooanthus,Clavularia,Parazoanthus,Erythropodium,Pseudopterogorgia,Discosomoa,anemone,coral reef,marine fish,saltwater fish,reef tank,underwater photography" /> profanity removed Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment" /> EcoTech <font size="1" color="#0000FF">profanity removed</font> - Page 3 - Reef Central Online Community
Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2017, 09:19 AM   #51
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Buy the $60 wetside..
Take what you need..
Sell off the remaining parts to others who need those specific pieces at a slight markup..
Problem solved..
You could start your own little business from it..
There is a need for the individual parts and that need isn't being filled

Unread 10/07/2017, 11:37 AM   #52
reefinder
Registered Member

Not a bad idea..

Unread 10/07/2017, 01:14 PM   #53
nikon187
Registered Member

isnt the entire point the fact it doesnt come apart hence why the entire piece is needed? cant sell something that doesnt come apart to sell. Plain and simple, they changed the wet sides when switched to quiet drive. buy the wetside or another pump, stuff is worth what YOU the consumer feels is right. I havent had another powerhead in the last 8 yrs. replaced two power supplies and thats it.

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 03:38 PM   #54
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefinder View Post
Your right on the fan boy, he pulled out the thesaurus to prove a point lol.

D2mini I understand and $60 really is not the problem it's just a waste. I only need the a small part I don't want to waste all the plastic for one part. whatever I don't want to complain anymore, I apologize if I came off that way. I hope this thread shines some light on this company and multiple other companies who have the same ridiculous practices.
Don't apologize. Ecotech isn't a sacred cow. A better product can always be designed.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 05:01 PM   #55
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Yeah I totally understand where you're coming from but I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare a simple fishing rod to a vortech. There is no other mag coupled pump that runs through the glass keeping power cords out of the water. All of the other pumps on the market use traditional tech to drive an axial type magnet on a shaft. They only really needs to take rotational loads which are minor.

A vortech wet side does a bunch. It has to do the standard axial, thrust, and support the dry side. It does this through magnets that rely on the user to get aligned. If slightly out of line not only does it have to take axial and thrust loads it now needs to take an additional side load.

It seems simple but is actually a complex engineering problem. It's one thing to make a prototype but to sell thousands and thousands with a high rate of success to keep customers happy is a real feat.

I've paid a premium and in the early days had my fair share of issues but they were always minor. Ecotech always stepped up to the plate. I was an early adopter having my first vortech before most people had heard of them, I still have the first one I ever bought and it works just fine... Overall I've had great success which is why I continue to buy thier products. I've seen huge improvements in the equipment since day one. They have always improved them.

So I understand where you are coming from but I think you shoujld reconsider walking away. Vortechs trully provide incredible flow for your reef and I think by stepoing away you are likely doing a disservice to yourself and your reef. $60 to bring one of the best pumps ever made for a reef tank back online is cheep.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 07:06 PM   #56
ktownhero
Registered Member

A wet side does not support the dry side. You're supposed to pin the cable down 1-2" above the dry side so it stays in place no matter what, and alleviates any downward pressure on the coupling of the two pieces.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 08:27 PM   #57
LQT
Registered Member

Pricewise, my Sage XPs cost me $795 per rod, so I think at least the “premium” comparison is more than fair. Those blanks and rods are actually built in the USA to boot!

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 09:20 PM   #58
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Your right on the fan boy, he pulled out the thesaurus to prove a point lol.
No thesaurus necessary, though I guess my post came of a a bit caustic. I'll stick with different approaches for different people and call it a day.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 10:20 PM   #59
rc1626
Registered Member

[QUOTE=tkeracer619;25236557]There is no other mag coupled pump that runs through the glass keeping power cords out of the water. All of the other pumps on the market use traditional tech to drive an axial type magnet on a shaft.

Could that be because they own a patent on the technology?
Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that.

rc1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 10:49 PM   #60
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Of course because they have the patent. They came up with the design and built a company around it. Generally it's wise to protect your intellectual property.

High end or not there are no moving parts in a fishing rod. Do they sell individual components of the rod if you break it or do they replace the rod?

Unread 10/07/2017, 10:56 PM   #61
LQT
Registered Member

They don’t need to sell individual components of the rod, because they replace the whole thing... for life. However, if you damage a guide or a tip and for some odd reason don’t want the whole rod replaced, then yes, individual components are available.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 04:57 PM   #62
nikon187
Registered Member

Nothing to replace as its a whopping three parts to the wet side. if it doesn't come off it cant be replaced seperatly. why is this still an issue. Vortechs are awesome pumps, also have never used the clip for the cord, the magnets hold the dry side fine if aligned properly.

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 10:55 PM   #63
tkeracer619
Registered Member

You're supposed to use the cord to support it, at least use it for a safety in case you're like me and knock running dry sides into the sump...

Unread 10/09/2017, 02:01 PM   #64
jacksonpt
Registered Member

I can't believe this thread is still going.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2017, 06:53 PM   #65
reefinder
Registered Member

Yeah lots of people upset and debating

Unread 10/09/2017, 07:05 PM   #66
rvareef
In Memoriam

I buy them for the elegance

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 03:07 PM   #67
outy
Moved On

Quote:
I disassemble the pump and find out the white tubing around the metal shaft has chipped.
Replace the ceramic with plastic and it may run years. Id have it fixed in an hour instead of complaining publically.

Buy a new one when you get your money out of this wet side.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 06:42 PM   #68
FirstContact
Registered Member

meh, get a Coral Box QP16

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 10:42 PM   #69
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

My experience with mp60's since I bought a pair 13 months ago have been mixed. I had to buy a new wet side because a snail got jammed in the propeller and dented it. Then, the replacement began chattering and was replaced under warranty. Today, another wet side began chattering, but it's now one month out of warranty. That's three wet sides with problems, two of which are manufacturing problems, all within 13 months, and all needing complete replacement, two of them out of pocket. That's not a reliable product and is exacerbated by no option to repair, just replace, which at this rate is costing me $300 a year.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
Unread 10/23/2017, 10:43 AM   #70
leventis72
Registered Member

His name is Chris Fernandes he sucks wont even talk to him when I call

leventis72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 11:05 AM   #71
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I still have the first one I ever bought and it works just fine... Overall I've had great success which is why I continue to buy thier products. I've seen huge improvements in the equipment since day one. They have always improved them.
My experience as well. My oldest MP40 (six years, maybe seven) just had a wetside replacement and my second oldest probably is due for a replacement at this point. I have dropped a wetside here and there (don't do that) and flooded a driver once (definitely don't do that), but otherwise my 8 pumps (at last count) have all been quite reliable. Have had plenty of issues with other pumps, and quite happy to excoriate them (and no longer use them) ...

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 10:07 AM   #72
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Ecotech replaced a wetside that was two months out of warranty free of charge, so that was nice. So, at least customer service has been good.

Unread 11/01/2017, 10:51 AM   #73
Jamesmost
Registered Member

I am going to be more careful with my mp40s now

Jamesmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 11:59 AM   #74
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

You know what was wrong with the wetside? The ceramic was broken...

Unread 11/01/2017, 12:54 PM   #75
reefinder
Registered Member

"His name is Chris Fernandes he sucks wont even talk to him when I call".

Whose name is Chris Fernanades, are you on the correct thread?