Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2017, 06:23 PM   #1
SaltieG
Registered Member

New display macro tank but need lighting help

Hello, so a bit about the system I have first off. I have a 125 reef with a 40 gallon sump. One of the chambers in my sump was home to a small fuge with chaeto. It grew well using a screw type bulb from Wal-Mart but the fuge was hard to access due to the tight constraints of the stand. Due to that I decided to start a 30g display fuge next to the main display and now they are plumbed together and share one sump. Now I can get a nice macro tank going like I have always wanted and actually be able to enjoy it.

My last issue to figure out for now is the lighting. I thought about just getting a couple more clamp on lights and running 3 over the tank. Then again I have also thought about just getting a fluorescent light and putting some 6500k bulbs in, but at some point down the line I may want to add some coral, maybe some softies for a little more diversity so in that case I will need a light that can grow both. What I was wondering is would I be able to use one of the Chinese LED fixtures but use more of the white channel as opposed to blue. Over my main display I run 3 galaxy hydro leds which have worked awesome so far. That got me to thinking on whether I could run one over my fuge and have it be able to grow macro but also be versatile enough for future coral?

Unread 10/26/2017, 03:22 PM   #2
Subsea
Registered Member

Google “aquarium led light bar”. Roleadro makes a 4’, 3’ & 2’. They make a blue and a mixed spectrum which I use with corals and macro. It has 36 3W led colored blue, green, and a majority of white. It looked to be about 12K kelvin. I especially liked the way that red and yellow would pop under this light. I used the 4’ mixed spectrum over a 55G mixed garden. Cost was $81 delivered to my door from Amazon.

In the last 2 yrs, I have purchased a dozen of these lights. The IP65 water proof end caps is as good as it gets. One end of a 3’ light bar was 6” under water all night. Different effect when bulb is under water. Not to be recommended but only required wiping off salt.

Google

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout

Last edited by Subsea; 10/26/2017 at 03:31 PM.
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote