Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2017, 08:47 PM   #1
ozorowsky
Registered Member

trying to make a drain for protein skimmer please advise?

Hello,

I have a euroreef protein skimmer thats working well so far. It had a barb at the bottom of the collection cup, that was not drilled.

I have a quarantine tank as well as a 340gallon DT. Both of those I have drains tied together that lead to my bathroom sink so when I do a water change I just open a valve, let water drain out. Has been working great.

I plumbed in this barb at the bottom of my protein skimmer and poured water in there to test the drain but its not draining!

Just to go through what happens; Home depot didn't have a 3/4 90 degree barb so I improvised. I bought a T, put a pvc cap at bottom of T. Then from middle ran 3/4 tube to pvc with a ball valve (in case some kind of reverse flow issues). When I remove the 3/4 tube from the T and do my test water pees out the side of the T no problem. I then hook up the tube, and I know there is a slight incline in the hose but its still lower than the highest point in skimmer cup, but its like the water just won't flow. I can't figure out why. Its a major bummer. Anyone know why or any ideas whats going on here? I'll post pics for reference

ozorowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 09:57 PM   #2
ozorowsky
Registered Member

Attaching pictures of the drain now

Attached Images
File Type: jpg proteinskimmer1.jpg (45.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg protein2.jpg (52.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg protein3.jpg (53.6 KB, 28 views)
Unread 11/20/2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Any kind of back pressure in the pvc, under water?
I had a similar problem when a drain exit became clogged by snow.
Cleared & problem went away.

Unread 11/20/2017, 02:03 PM   #4
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

If the plumbing goes up at some point (even if it goes back down) and it's not always totally full of water, you will get an air bubble in the high section that blocks flow.

Reroute so it's always sloping down, with no upward sections, from the skimmer cup to the point where there's an airbreak, and it'll work.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 02:59 PM   #5
ozorowsky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
If the plumbing goes up at some point (even if it goes back down) and it's not always totally full of water, you will get an air bubble in the high section that blocks flow.

Reroute so it's always sloping down, with no upward sections, from the skimmer cup to the point where there's an airbreak, and it'll work.
Trying this without seeming success I think its because of where the actual nipple/elbow is placed.

What are the chances of some form of inline pump I can splice in and turn on as skimmer cup fills up let it suck whatever down push it out the drain and then just turn it off?

This skimmer cup is like 12" round, would like to find a way to automate this if possible.

Unread 11/20/2017, 05:55 PM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I would use the bottom 90 & get it right up against the nipple.

Unread 11/20/2017, 05:56 PM   #7
Daddi0
Registered Member

You could always use an aqualifter? Seems like you are higher at the drain in sink.

Daddi0 is offline   Reply With Quote