Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/30/2015, 03:54 PM   #1326
OsiViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduck View Post
Getting this video is private error...

Tank is loving the pro! Corals are so happy! Haven't seen the gonipora and hammer so happy in a while..
Should work now.

OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 04:16 PM   #1327
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Should work now.
Yep.cool beans!

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 06:05 PM   #1328
OsiViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Yep.cool beans!
Need to work on the grating a bit to get more even flow

Unread 04/30/2015, 10:17 PM   #1329
mystikal
Registered Member

Anyone running chaeto in the fuge area?

Unread 04/30/2015, 10:27 PM   #1330
bklynreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikal View Post
I am. I use the chamber second from the right nd second from the left. Rubble at the bottom of each. Glues a PAR 30 LED 5000 k to the back of each side. I strongly believe in an oversized skimmer and natural filtration. I have floss covering the chamber to prevent the chaeto from going into the system. Great growth so far and TONS of pods all over my rocks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuge.jpg (30.5 KB, 77 views)

Not all reefers are nerdy.
bklynreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2015, 08:05 AM   #1331
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
I am as well. I have poly filter on top, chaeto in middle and filter floss on bottom. Using the IM fuge light. Works well

Unread 05/01/2015, 11:38 AM   #1332
OsiViper
Registered Member

Candy cane is no longer unhappy. It has puffed up to about 2x the size of ever was in the biocube

Unread 05/01/2015, 10:11 PM   #1333
mystikal
Registered Member

Cool! I plan to put some and make a little fuge with the media baskets. I'll use the first chamber with; cheato on top with light, floss, then carbon on the bottom.

A local is selling some heads of neon green candy cane for $7 a head, think that's a good deal? Went and checked it out looks ok, puffing and kinda neon (not too bright)

Unread 05/01/2015, 10:11 PM   #1334
mystikal
Registered Member

Quote:
Candy cane is no longer unhappy. It has puffed up to about 2x the size of ever was in the biocube
Post some visual aids ��

How about a Mandy? Anyone got a mandarin in a 40? One of my favorite saltwater fishes

Unread 05/02/2015, 04:46 AM   #1335
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Post some visual aids ��

How about a Mandy? Anyone got a mandarin in a 40? One of my favorite saltwater fishes
Unless you can afford to dose the tank evey week with pods, I'd stay away, I had one. It is not a cheap fish to keep, unless your fuge is running for a long time and it's got a self sustaining pod population.
They are beautiful fish. It's worth the effort. But I'd say to keep the tank going for a while adding pods every now and then and let them reproduce and populate for a while before you add the manderin. It will eat non stop....

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Unread 05/02/2015, 03:11 PM   #1336
bklynreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Unless you can afford to dose the tank evey week with pods, I'd stay away, I had one. It is not a cheap fish to keep, unless your fuge is running for a long time and it's got a self sustaining pod population.
They are beautiful fish. It's worth the effort. But I'd say to keep the tank going for a while adding pods every now and then and let them reproduce and populate for a while before you add the manderin. It will eat non stop....
I'm with Reduck

Not all reefers are nerdy.
bklynreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2015, 03:36 PM   #1337
OsiViper
Registered Member

Well, so far I'm not too happy with my Tunze ATO..
Its about 2 weeks old and it already has failed.

I noticed a good amount of micro-bubbles in my tank, which only usually happens when water level in back gets too low, so I go and check it and lo and behold the water level is half way down the back.

Check the outlet and everything to make sure ATO is on and plugged in and still no water. I check the float switch, it moves freely and works. So I try power cycling it, turns off then on and pump runs for about half a second then turns off. If i raise float switch and power cycle it, it wont turn the pump on until I drop float switch again, but again it will only run it for half a second or so.

And of course I cant exchange it for a new one since I purchased it April 1st and it is now May 2nd..

Unread 05/03/2015, 05:12 AM   #1338
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:

I noticed a good amount of micro-bubbles in my tank, which only usually happens when water level in back gets too low, so I go and check it and lo and behold the water level is half way down the back.

Check the outlet and everything to make sure ATO is on and plugged in and still no water. I check the float switch, it moves freely and works. So I try power cycling it, turns off then on and pump runs for about half a second then turns off. If i raise float switch and power cycle it, it wont turn the pump on until I drop float switch again, but again it will only run it for half a second or so.

And of course I cant exchange it for a new one since I purchased it April 1st and it is now May 2nd..
Email tunze support. Or use the vendor forum. They'll hook you up. Sounds like a bad pump bearing. I always recommend having a spare around. Main pump, heater and ato pump. We can live without a spare ato pump, but the main or heater..nope...I just hate mto's so I keep one.

Went to visit Mark, last eve, with the mrs. Came home with a Harliquin, a strawberry coral, and I'll go back today to get my new clam.
Wanted to do a water test first..pics later..

Unread 05/03/2015, 06:32 AM   #1339
Reduck
Because I can....

Maxima clam. Sorry, need more coffee...

Unread 05/03/2015, 08:34 AM   #1340
mystikal
Registered Member

Quote:

Not sure if you tried this, but mine was acting up a couple of days ago as well. I unplugged it for 10minute removed it from the reservoir and made sure there wasn't any kinks on the hose. Then plugged it in and it worked fine since.
I'm thinking it may of had either air pockets, or the pump was not cycling right.
Best of luck!

Unread 05/03/2015, 10:00 AM   #1341
bizacon
Registered Member

Their customer service is amazing. They sent me out a new pump after mine was faulty.

Turn off pump and went it turns back on, flip the pump upside down in ato get the bubbles out. Shake it a little too

Quote:

Unread 05/03/2015, 10:02 AM   #1342
bizacon
Registered Member

Nice! You are going to have your hands full with the strawberry coral and clam!

Quote:
Email tunze support. Or use the vendor forum. They'll hook you up. Sounds like a bad pump bearing. I always recommend having a spare around. Main pump, heater and ato pump. We can live without a spare ato pump, but the main or heater..nope...I just hate mto's so I keep one.

Went to visit Mark, last eve, with the mrs. Came home with a Harliquin, a strawberry coral, and I'll go back today to get my new clam.
Wanted to do a water test first..pics later..

Unread 05/03/2015, 12:19 PM   #1343
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
Nice! You are going to have your hands full with the strawberry coral and clam!
They are both filter feeders so it shouldn't be that big a deal. Glad I'm dosing though. Clam will be eating it up....gonna go get him now...pics later!

Unread 05/03/2015, 01:42 PM   #1344
Mrs Fish
Registered Member

I keep reading differing information on when to start running the skimmer. Some folks say do it from the start ... others wait a while. It's not been turned on yet. My 40 has been up and running for 1 week with 37lb LS and 24lb LR ... Ammonia = 0, Nitrates = 0, Nitrites = 0, PH = 8.2, Salinity normal, temp 79. I have a pair of clown fish and 2 nassarius snails (1 died) ... I had also added 3 astrea (?) snails ... but they didn't make it. (Not sure why)

Just running filter floss in the caddy's.

Sue

Mrs Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2015, 03:35 PM   #1345
mystikal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Fish View Post
I keep reading differing information on when to start running the skimmer. Some folks say do it from the start ... others wait a while. It's not been turned on yet. My 40 has been up and running for 1 week with 37lb LS and 24lb LR ... Ammonia = 0, Nitrates = 0, Nitrites = 0, PH = 8.2, Salinity normal, temp 79. I have a pair of clown fish and 2 nassarius snails (1 died) ... I had also added 3 astrea (?) snails ... but they didn't make it. (Not sure why)

Sue
I had mine running not 24/7, because I was dosing with Macrobac and the instructions said to turn off skimming and lights for 4 hours. So it was running about 12-16 hrs a day. So far it worked out great

Unread 05/03/2015, 04:16 PM   #1346
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Fish View Post

Sue

If you have fish and you are feeding, leave it on. If you were doing a fish less cycle, you wouldn't really need it for the first couple weeks. Test your water every other day now. You should see a nitrate spike and an ammonia spike. Be prepared for at least a 10-15g water change when it happens.

Unread 05/03/2015, 04:56 PM   #1347
Reduck
Because I can....

Before the clam came home..Harry the harliquin is hiding but the blennie isn't camera shy today...clam is acclimating now...

Unread 05/03/2015, 05:14 PM   #1348
bizacon
Registered Member

Looking good. I have heard that strawberry corals can be hard to keep...looking forward to hearing about it.

Nothing new for me. Just trying to find a nice snowflake clown and a metallic green hammer coral. Let me know if ultimate has any good looking hammers.

Quote:
Before the clam came home..Harry the harliquin is hiding but the blennie isn't camera shy today...clam is acclimating now...

Unread 05/03/2015, 05:58 PM   #1349
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
Looking good. I have heard that strawberry corals can be hard to keep...looking forward to hearing about it.

Nothing new for me. Just trying to find a nice snowflake clown and a metallic green hammer coral. Let me know if ultimate has any good looking hammers.
Email Mark. I don't recall any hammers last night or today..I was busy keeping the Mrs from buying everything she saw...... Last time I was there a couple weeks ago, he had a couple diff colors, but if you are looking for something specific, ask him to get it for you. He's good that way and he gets 2-3 shipments a week. He has some insane scolys now and some real nice acropora. I'm starting to think next coral will be acropora...

So far the strawberry is ok. Occasionally it gets ED and slouches...LOL.
It was almost at full attention when I took the pic earlier..

The clam is in the tank. I'll get pics tomorow when he lights are up. Trying to let him settle in...

Unread 05/03/2015, 07:26 PM   #1350
mystikal
Registered Member

After speaking with a LFS, "Living Reef" they tested my Calcium level and I was at 430. Which they said was great. However, guess who's getting a Diatom bloom
They said that it is normal for new tanks. I was thinking about adding a Hector Goby to help eat some of that algae on the sand. Since my crabs and snails aren't doing much
Thoughts?