Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2010, 09:39 PM   #1
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

Healthy Angelfish

I would like to start a thread on healthy angelfish. I know that for many aquarium keepers, angelfish bring both great joy and great heartache. So, what is a healthy angelfish? How many of us actually have one?
I would love for everyone with an angelfish to chime in, post a few pictures and answer the following questions:
Where did you obtain your specimen?
When did you obtain your specimen/ how long have you had it?
What type of system is the fish kept in? (reef, FO, species, etc.)
What tank mates?
What do you feed?
Be sure to give any details about the fish and it's habits.

~Michael

The more I learn, the less I know.

Current Tank Info: Elos Mini and 120
michael_cb_125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2010, 09:50 PM   #2
ghstrider
Registered Member

My favorite angel is my Majestic

I bought him at LFS eating pellets (was my 2nd one, 1st one never ate)
Ive had him 1.5 years
Resides in a reef with other angels (multibarred, venustus, multicolor)
He eats everything from seaweed to flakes/pellets to frozen/live foods

Hes not too shy and is usually out swimming with my hippo tang. Hes about 4-5" and fat.

My other angels have only been with me about 2 months but all eat well and seem to get along good.

ghstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2010, 09:50 PM   #3
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

Apolemichthys arcuatus

Unread 11/30/2010, 10:06 PM   #4
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

The smaller of my pair came from a good friend and the other was purchased from Michael at aqua touch. I got the larger fish around a year ago, and received the smaller fish shortly thereafter. I started both fish on frozen mysis, but after about a week trained each fish to eat flake and pellet foods. Both fish have been eating NLS Thera-A, Elos Spirulina Pelllets and Ocean Nutrition Spirulina Flakes exclusively for the last four months and I have noticed drastic weight gain.

I keep this pair in a 92 gallon aquarium with sand a about 40 pounds of live rock. These are the only fish in the tank and the only other inhabitants are shrimp, urchins and snails.

Current water temp 69 f
I try to keep the temp between 68 and 72 depending on the season.
Lighting: LED

In the last few months these fish have started showing signs of spawning. This occurs several times per week and generally happens right before lights out.

~Michael

Unread 12/01/2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Good idea, and love your bandits.

I will break this down by tank, and pictures at the end of my post.

33 cube -- Potter's angel (( Centropyge potteri )), have had it for 1.5 years -- should note the first year it spent in my 58. Bought it from an LFS (( was about an inch big, if that )). It is currently sharing the tank with a mated pair of SI Percs.

58 --
Multicolored (( Centropyge multicolor )) -- have had it for about 10 days, got it from LA (( not the DD section )) it spent its first 7 days in an acclimation box, inside the tank.
Coral Beauty (( Centropyge bispinosus )) have it had it for about 3 months now, picked it up from an LFS
C venustus -- have had it for 6 months now, picked it up from Diver's Den.
Those 3 share the tank with an exquisite wrasse and golden sailfin blenny. The venustus and coral beauty have been getting along pretty good -- the CB is the boss. So far so good with the introduction of the multicolored, seems to have taken the middle position.

75 --
Flame (( Centropyge loriculus )), have had for about 4 years now, picked up from an LFS.
"Blue" C. Nox -- about 17 days now, picked up from Diver's Den.
They share the tank with a yellow tang and saddleback (( A. polymnus )). The flame will take a run at the Nox from time to time, but never gets close enough to do anything.

All 3 tanks have similar parameters -- 1.026, 0 for the "bad" stuff, temps b/t 76-83 degrees -- depending on the time of day and year.
The 33 has an S. Haddoni, zoas, open brain and clams.
58 -- S. Haddoni, zoas, SPS, clams.
75 -- S. Haddoni, zoas, SPS, clams.
All fish are fed the same -- LifeLine's Herbivore mix, Rod's Food (( red, green and blue labels )), Prime Reef, PE Mysis, Spectrum pellets, and Nori.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 12:44 AM   #6
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Pictures,

Potters,

Multi-colored,

Coral Beauty,

Venustus,

Flame,

Nox (( not the best pictures, but... ))

In acclimation box,

Unread 12/01/2010, 01:06 AM   #7
Apercula
Registered Member

I have a hybrid Centropyge eiblii x Centropyge vroliki.
I got it from a small pet shop, it came to them as a half black.
I have had it about 2 years.
At first I had it in a 29g species tank, but later moved it to my 75g mixed reef with a half dozen fish tank mates. It became quite aggressive to the other fish most notably my clowns and tomini tang. It is currently in a 55g tank with a pair of gold stripe maroon clowns.
I feed a homemade frozen mix as primary food, secondary feedings of PE mysis, omega enriched frozen brine, spirulina enriched frozen brine, or marine flake. Primary feeding is once per day, secondary feeding is usually one of the above every other day, rotating through the various types for variety.

In my reef.

In the pet shop prior to purchase. I watched it at the shop for almost 2 months before purchase.

Apercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 09:15 AM   #8
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

Very nice fish everyone!

~Michael

Unread 12/01/2010, 10:34 AM   #9
VegasMike
Registered Member

First - I am currently tankless after the cross country move a year ago. That will change in about six weeks when my two 220 gallon tanks are delivered.

I had a 450 in Las Vegas. I had several angels that I hated parting with. My Imp was in my tank for 5 years and started as a Juvi. I handpicked him with Chris Turnier from Reefermadness along with an awesom Powder Blue Tang. Funny thing about that fish was that he ate bubble algae.

I also had an adult Blueface that I got as a Juvi from a LFS. It had been in the tank for four years.

My all-time favorite was a Conspic that Chris got for me that I had in my tank for around three years. Sadly, I lost it after it jumped out of the tank after a bit of rock scaping. That fish was awesome, ate everything, but seemed to like flake food more than anything else.

Not sure I'll go down the Angel route in the new tanks as I am not sure a 220 is really big enough.

VegasMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 11:26 AM   #10
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

Now I have a question about my angelfish.

Are they healthy? I know that they were put through a very extensive quarantine procedure with me, and I did not falter from the QT timeline. The aquarium that these fish are in has never had any other fish in it, and was allowed to remain fallow for twelve weeks prior to the bandits addition. I have not seen any ick or other external parasites and I am very confident that they do not have any internal parasites. During qt I ran cupramine and prazipro, and I hit them with three treatments of each about five days apart. My main worry with these fish is diet. While they will eat mysis and other fresh seafood, they prefer flake and pellet (to the point of ignoring mysis and eating only pellet).
Since eating NLS pellets both fish have put on a lot of weight and are gaining some length as well. Since they are doing so well and growing so fast, should I be concerned?

~Michael

Unread 12/01/2010, 11:32 AM   #11
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Michael -- I have never kept Bandits, and not expert, just been in this hobby for a while. I would have to say that since they are growing, they are healthy. Don't care so much about gaining weight (( because that could just be fat )), but the fact that they are growing is a huge thing. It takes "energy" just to stay alive, more so for day to day living, and the fact that they have extra "energy" to put into growing is a great sign that they are healthy.

It is how I look at my SPS, clams and anemones -- besides the overall "Look" of them, if they are growing, I am pretty sure that they are all healthy.

Unread 12/01/2010, 12:54 PM   #12
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

Demeanor of the fish is one factor in gauging health. At least mental health in terms of whether you're providing a suitable environment. It's hard to put into words, but you want to see a calm fish that isn't doing a lot of hurried darting in and out of the rocks as he grazes. He shouldn't appear "on the run" so to speak.

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Yurivd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_cb_125 View Post
Now I have a question about my angelfish.

Are they healthy? I know that they were put through a very extensive quarantine procedure with me, and I did not falter from the QT timeline. The aquarium that these fish are in has never had any other fish in it, and was allowed to remain fallow for twelve weeks prior to the bandits addition. I have not seen any ick or other external parasites and I am very confident that they do not have any internal parasites. During qt I ran cupramine and prazipro, and I hit them with three treatments of each about five days apart. My main worry with these fish is diet. While they will eat mysis and other fresh seafood, they prefer flake and pellet (to the point of ignoring mysis and eating only pellet).
Since eating NLS pellets both fish have put on a lot of weight and are gaining some length as well. Since they are doing so well and growing so fast, should I be concerned?

~Michael
do thy nip on the rocks
i have seen my kingi also like flakes and pellets more than meaty food
maybe it is normal for Apolemichthys
i have even put in a brain coral to have a look if the kingi will eat it but it was not even looked at

Yurivd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 02:31 PM   #14
jimroth
Moving Money

Majestic Angel, P. Navarchus.

Where did you obtain your specimen? Diver's Den, as an adult.
When did you obtain your specimen/ how long have you had it? April 2010. Fish has added 1-1.5" in length and bulked up!
What type of system is the fish kept in? Reef, 210G approx
What tank mates? CBB, PBT, tomato clown, wrasse, gramma, foxface, juv. regal.
What do you feed? Currently PE Mysis, hikari angelfish cubes (which it doesn't eat) spirulina brine shrimp, nori, live blackworms and homegrown aiptasia snacks.
It's a good tank citizen, agressive enough to hold its own at feeding time, but takes no guff from the tang, and doesn't bother any other fish. Unafraid of the clownfish, which bullies some of the others. Hides before the lights go out, usually hidden until they come on.

Current Tank Info: 250G custom SPS System w/3X Radions

Last edited by jimroth; 12/01/2010 at 02:41 PM.
jimroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 08:17 PM   #15
9thwonder
Registered Member

Toddrtrex, how's your c.nox doing? How is he with corals and your other angels? I was thinking of getting one, but haven't heard much about them.

Unread 12/01/2010, 11:41 PM   #16
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thwonder View Post
Toddrtrex, how's your c.nox doing? How is he with corals and your other angels? I was thinking of getting one, but haven't heard much about them.
So far, he is doing great -- out and about more each day, and aggressively going after food now. It and the flame really don't care all that much about each other. I haven't noticed it bothering any of my corals - SPS and zoas -- and hasn't touched any of the clams I have in that tank.

Unread 12/02/2010, 07:15 AM   #17
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Blackspot swallowtail angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilos)

I purchased the male and female from two different LFS.

I purchased both fish on the same day, in January 2007

They are in a VERY mixed reef. A 115g up until October 2009, at which point I moved, and upgraded to a 150g (48" x 24" x 30" tall). The rock structures are in the form of pillars, allowing swimming room around the rocks.

What tank mates?
The only other substantial fish in the tank are a powder blue tang (Dec 2006) and a tomini tang (Sep 2006). All the other fish are planktivores like anthias and wrasses, plus a few random fish like a pair of percs, and a pair of skunks.

What do you feed?
NLS pellets, NLS flakes, ON flakes, ON frozen formula, PE mysis, Hikari mysis, Hikari jumbo mysis, scallop, shrimp, mussel, live blackworms...the list goes on...

The male was more than twice the size of the female when introduced. There was never any fighting, just an occasional chase. They are model citizens. They have never touched a coral. They are not aggressive, but are never bullied (though my tangs are passive, so there really isn't anyone to bully them). They have always eaten like pigs. My only complaint is that the female will pick food out of LPS, even in the dark so target feeding LPS is impossible. The male will often display to the female. I've only seen them spawn once (release gametes)... maybe twice, but I wasn't sure, since I wasn't directly in front of the tank at the time.

The male has not kept his original colors, but has not turned female either. I still think he's gorgeous though

When I first got them:
Male:

Female:

Two years later:

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2010, 07:16 AM   #18
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

October 2009:

No camera flash (he looks REALLY blue in person):

With camera flash:

Without camera flash:

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 12/02/2010, 07:17 AM   #19
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

November 2010:

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 12/02/2010, 07:32 AM   #20
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

Peter, that fish looks a little rough, maybe you should send him to me for conditioning

~Michael

Unread 12/02/2010, 08:10 AM   #21
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_cb_125 View Post
Peter, that fish looks a little rough, maybe you should send him to me for conditioning

~Michael
Hehe... he eats an amazing amount of food...really interesting to see how he sucks down LARGE chunks... I swear he looks like he's going to choke himself sometimes. He's even clever enough to know how to eat the Hikari JUMBO mysis in a certain direction, so as to be able to get the whole shrimp down.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 12/02/2010, 08:50 AM   #22
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

• Asfur angel (Pomacanthus asfur)
  • Yellowtail Angel (Chaetodontoplus meredithi) x 2
  • I purchased the asfur from a LFS in Orange County.
  • The meredithis both came from a local Petco (originated from Quality Marine)
  • The asfur was purchased as a very small individual (of course with adult coloration already, as is so common witht his species) around November 2008.
  • The meredithis: The larger one was purchased in Nov 2009, and the smaller one in December 2009 and spent a couple weeks in an acclimation chamber.
The asfur was in a 60g FO until Nov 2009. All three are now in my 110g FOWLR.

What tank mates?
Several butterflyfish, and a pair of allardi clowns.

What do you feed?
NLS pellets, NLS flakes, ON flakes, ON frozen formula, PE mysis, Hikari mysis, Hikari jumbo mysis, scallop, shrimp, mussel, live blackworms...the list goes on... The meredithis really like algae...they eat it off the glass and overflow as much as possible...very centropyge-like.

• The asfur has only grown about 2-3" in two years. He is a perfect citizen of the tank. He bothers no one, ever, and is bothered by no one.
  • The meredithis are also very well mannered. The larger one chased the smaller one for a few days after introduction from the acclimation box. The larger one has grown quite a bit, and developed a lovely blue net/mask on his face. Interestingly, the female also has a slight "net" looking pattern, not just the blue color, on her face. Whenever the male goes to chase the female, she will form her body into this weird U shape, and they will just do a half circle with each other, then stop.

The flame angel is no longer with me

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 12/02/2010, 09:31 AM   #23
Sigmund
Registered Member

Potters Angel

Venustus

Golden

Venustus / MultiBar

Sigmund is offline   Reply With Quote