Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2013, 07:20 PM   #1
browning_boy20
Registered Member

how many clowns in a 350?

Right now I have 3 clowns (two o's and one black and white) in my 125g who haven't reached maturity yet. I have a 350g coming in a few weeks and was curious as to if these should be OK in that large of a tank once they mature? Its going to be a fowlr with plenty of swimming room so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

browning_boy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2013, 07:40 AM   #2
browning_boy20
Registered Member

Anyone?

Unread 04/18/2013, 10:21 AM   #3
JustinGr
Clown Pimp

Others will disagee, but the rule for clowns should be a two per tank (bonded pair). It reduces the risk of them killing others. However, others will tell you that you can mix and match.

If I were to add different types of clowns, I would make sure they are not pairs like Maroon and Occ, or Clarkii and Percs.

Justin Grant

Current Tank Info: Reef:75 Gallon, 90# LR, SSB, 2x AI SOL Blues Managed by Neptune's Apex, Inland Aquatics Dump Style ATS, 2 Koralia on wave maker, and MP 10 on custom wave.
JustinGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2013, 10:41 AM   #4
bfliflet
Registered Member

I am hoping to do something similar in my 300g. To mitigate some of the issues, I am planning to keep around 4 more of each species (6 total) of each pair. This is similar to nature. The pair keeps the subadults on the fringes of the anemones. I am hoping the 'colonies' are more busy keeping the pecking order in their own gang than eradicating the neighboring gang. I also plan on decreasing the animosity by strategically placing rock work so they're not facing each other 24-7.

bfliflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2013, 02:05 PM   #5
LargeAngels
Premium Member

I can tell you from experience that you may wind up with a disaster once one pair starts breeding. Tried it in an 8' 300 gallon reef tank with lots of rock, coral, anemones etc.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2013, 05:16 PM   #6
browning_boy20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAngels View Post
I can tell you from experience that you may wind up with a disaster once one pair starts breeding. Tried it in an 8' 300 gallon reef tank with lots of rock, coral, anemones etc.
Well I think this is a good way to talk the wife into a bio cube. I can see how it will go; "Well babe, you don't want the kids nemo to come up dead do you?" I think she will go for it. Or I may go with a 40 breeder I have on hand. The only thing with it is I have dosed copper once when it was a freshwater tank. Does that matter if I want to keep invertebrates?

Unread 04/18/2013, 05:26 PM   #7
velvetelvis
Registered Member

I think it might. I think it's possible for copper to remain in the silicone seals.

Unread 04/18/2013, 06:27 PM   #8
TheGodParticle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning_boy20 View Post
Well I think this is a good way to talk the wife into a bio cube. I can see how it will go; "Well babe, you don't want the kids nemo to come up dead do you?" I think she will go for it. Or I may go with a 40 breeder I have on hand. The only thing with it is I have dosed copper once when it was a freshwater tank. Does that matter if I want to keep invertebrates?
No, it won't matter, give it a good rinse and you'll be fine. This is a myth that won't die.

TheGodParticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2013, 10:04 PM   #9
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Copper will not adhere to silicon or glass. A good rinse and you will be fine

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote