Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2016, 05:08 AM   #1
greenvrod06
Registered Member

generator???

lost power yesterday for 8 hours and stressed out the whole time about my tank.
so i told my wife this is the lasttime im not prepaired and im getting a generator so i need your guys help on what to buy. it will be only to power my tank incase of a outage-lights powerheads, pump, heater, powerhead and reactor.

greenvrod06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 05:56 AM   #2
Bluefish9
Registered Member

generator???

Any small genny will handle that BUT for the money, you can get one of the 8750w predator generators from Harbor Freight. I bought one for about $450 and I can run my whole house (2400sf) with it. Granted I wouldn't use things like central AC, toaster ovens and microwaves but thats about it.
All you need to do is get a power inlet box, wire it to a 30a double pole breaker and install an interlock bar on the front of your panel (for safety) Done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 07:20 AM   #3
BrettDS
Registered Member

generator???

I used a Ryobi 2200 watt inverter generator from Home Depot to run my 220G tank, my fridge, and a few lights and other things during hurricane Matthew and I was very happy with it. It was not cheap, but the inverter generators have a lot of advantages... they provide much cleaner power, which is better for electronics and sensitive equipment (such as the expensive lights and pumps and controllers that we use), they are quieter, and they allow the generator engine to run at variable speeds, so it will use less gas if you aren't running a full load. They are also smaller and easier to move around.

I used well under 10 gallons of gas to run the generator 24/7 for three full days after the hurricane.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-200...2200/203617901

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 07:43 AM   #4
lilphil26
Registered Member

I have a champion inverter Genny hooked up to an Ezgenerator switch I bought online plus I have a cyber power ups that runs a pump for about 3 hours in case I am not home when the power goes out. I have the 3100 champion inverter series and like was already posted they are a cleaner power than a regular Generator which makes modified sine wave.

lilphil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Voodoojar
Registered Member

For the longest time I just had a $30 power inverter and hooked it up to my car when there was a power outage. Ran pumps, powerhead and heater. Probably not the best idea but in a pinch it totally save me a couple of times.

Voodoojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 08:27 AM   #6
scooters reef
Registered Member

Good timing for this thread Pretty new to FL and just now working on a new build and started thinking about a generator to have ready before next hurricane season. Never knew about the inverter difference. I'm going dual fuel so it will cost more but now also going to look for an inverter generater. I've also got one dedicated circuit run to the tank from a utility room where I'll be setting up a bank of batteries and inverter for shorter outages and a last ditch standby I already did as Voodoojar did and have an inverter I could use from one of the vehicles. Being a FL noob just learning to be ready to keep the livestock alive and hopefully the beer cold

Unread 12/06/2016, 08:39 AM   #7
Bluefish9
Registered Member

Some great points to add to my original post - some have suggested using an inverter generator... thats good advice ESPECIALLY if you are or will be using a controller at any point in time. Any genny can run a pump and some lights no problem. But real sensitive electronics will most likely be doomed w/o an inverter gen. Found that out during Hurrican Sandy.

Unread 12/06/2016, 09:15 AM   #8
ericarenee
Registered Member

i have a Duel fuel Sportsman Generator that will run most of my house..

i have a rv plug on the outside of the house wired to a sub panel that can switch from generator to utility on the circuits i want to run off the generator..

connecting it to a breaker in your existing box is against the law and Dangerous , If you forget to turn the Main off then connect the generator when the main comes back on it could fry everything .

its best if your going to hard wire it to use a absolute switch

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 09:37 AM   #9
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefish9 View Post
lAny genny can run a pump and some lights no problem.

It depends on the lights and pumps in question. Most LED lights have a lot of sensitive electronics for dimming and timers. Same with DC pumps that have their own built in controllers.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 10:21 AM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If you live in a area with regular protracted power failures (like I do), a generator really is a requirement.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 11:57 AM   #11
trivan
Registered Member

I used a portable generator for many years. (honda inverter for the clean power). It got me through Sandy, the NJ ice storm both which left me without power for 7+ days. I've been lucky that the power outages outside big events have have only been for a few mins to an hour tops. Each time, I monitor it to determine if I show have someone get to the house and connect and fire it up. Its become more and more difficult to "get someone to the house" so made the decision to invests in a whole house generator, now after 10 sec of an outage the generator kicks in. I don't have to have anyone on standby to connect the portable a piece of mind when on vacation.

Also, do you have a means of alerting you of an outage, my home alarm sends a message to me once on battery back up. If not, you may not know if you lost power in the morning and return to a tank which has been down for hours.

trivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 02:34 PM   #12
Bluefish9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
i have a Duel fuel Sportsman Generator that will run most of my house..

i have a rv plug on the outside of the house wired to a sub panel that can switch from generator to utility on the circuits i want to run off the generator..

connecting it to a breaker in your existing box is against the law and Dangerous , If you forget to turn the Main off then connect the generator when the main comes back on it could fry everything .

its best if your going to hard wire it to use a absolute switch

It is not against the law. If you read my post again, I mentioned that you can wire it safely to a two pole breaker in your main panel as long as you use an interlock kit on the panel cover. Here is a diagram:

Unread 12/06/2016, 03:19 PM   #13
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefish9 View Post
It is not against the law. If you read my post again, I mentioned that you can wire it safely to a two pole breaker in your main panel as long as you use an interlock kit on the panel cover. Here is a diagram:

Yes this is Legal...

Thanks for Correcting me

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 03:29 PM   #14
Bluefish9
Registered Member

generator???

No worries at all. This is what I do at my house. You are right about frying your generator though without using this kit. Even worse... without an interlock, backfeeding the panel now sends 240vAC back to the utility which then keeps traveling until the next step down transformer which now steps UP your 240vAC to 5000vAC, possibly killing the unsuspecting lineman working to restore service.
So I wasnt knocking what you said at all. Back feeding a panel can be extremely dangerous. Just pointing out that it is totally safe for those interested in doing so, so long as certain rules are followed.

If only money was no object... Ideally we would all have a whole house, natural gas genset that fired up with an ATS!

Unread 12/06/2016, 05:03 PM   #15
hottuna
Registered Member

I have a generac 22KW standby generator and a 400 gal propane tank ...I am ready for armageddon ...lol !

Unread 12/06/2016, 06:55 PM   #16
slief
RC Sponsor

I keep a nice little Honda EU series generator here for just such an occasion. They aren't the cheapest but they are the best. You can let them sit for year and as long as you drain the carb and use fuel stabilizer, they will always start first or 2nd pull. They are also the quietest generators and can be found used for really cheap on Craigslist. That's where I bought mine around 7 years ago and it's as reliable as can be. An EU1000 will handle several hundred watts.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2016, 08:04 PM   #17
kurt_n
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I keep a nice little Honda EU series generator here for just such an occasion. They aren't the cheapest but they are the best. You can let them sit for year and as long as you drain the carb and use fuel stabilizer, they will always start first or 2nd pull. They are also the quietest generators and can be found used for really cheap on Craigslist. That's where I bought mine around 7 years ago and it's as reliable as can be. An EU1000 will handle several hundred watts.
This.

I have a 2000i and can handle the tank, the refrigerator, and a couple lights. Quiet, doesn't use much gas, and like slief said... you can ignore it for 9 months out of the year and still have it start and purring within a couple pulls of the cord. Not cheap, but it'll last forever.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2016, 08:19 PM   #18
willfromct
Registered Member

I purchsed a champion at tractpr supply and a yamaha as a backup .
We lost power for 8 xays several years ago durring a freak snowstorm day befoe halloween.
I had to vo to my eldely parents bouse..i knew it was going to be a bad storm with wet snow and all the leaves still on our 100 foot plus Red oaks .
My 90 gallon was a total loss....i was devistated.
I could not get back home for 3 days after power went out statewide..
Portable is great and a backup is a must for me . also encourage reefers to have a network of fellow are reefers that own generators to keep ea others contact info..one may loose power when the other does not and you can save your tank..or theres.
My next home WILL HAVE a whole house generator that kicks on as soon as power go's out.

willfromct is offline   Reply With Quote