Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2010, 10:55 AM   #1
travis32
Registered Member

How do I tell if my coral is dieing?

O.k. I received 60 pounds of rock or so, that had been established for roughly 2 years with a variety of corals-- zenia, button polyps, purple mushrooms, hair mushroom (one rock covered in hair mushrooms.), and an orange tree like soft coral.

The purple mushrooms, zenia, and button polyps all seem to be really happy. Everything closes up at night, and when the light comes on int he morning within about 10 to 20 minutes most things are open and all seem to be saying "I'm really happy in my new home."

So, with that said, my question is related to the orange tree like coral. It's a softie, and has lots of branches. It seems to move on a daily basis. Not much, but, it seems like everyday it's at a slightly different angle. I'm not sure if it's just me or if it is moving some.

However, some of the branches have a black notch in the middle of the branch. It's maybe a hairline in width, but, I'm not sure whether I should be cutting those branches off. Leave it and see if it's just growth rings, or is it a sign of it dieing? It's a large single coral and would like to avoid the biohazard of it's death if it is dieing. I expected some die off being the tank is new, but, I just want to be proactive, but, if some branches are going to die but the coral itself will recover, then, I'm o.k. with that (if the black lines indicate decay, need to know what they indicate.) It is a peachy orange color.

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2010, 10:58 AM   #2
coralfish
Premium Member

Can you post a picture of it? Without knowing what type of coral it is, its hard to say what to do.

Current Tank Info: 220 Reef
coralfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

We will need a picture of the coral in order to determine what type of coral it is and if it is in fact, dying.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2010, 11:45 AM   #4
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

I wouldn't doubt that it is reaching for light. How is the coral situated? What is your lighting like?

Unread 02/16/2010, 11:47 AM   #5
TwistedEnvy
Acan Freak

+1 that might be the case if it is stretching out. The other possibility is that it is some sort of sponge, not a softie.

TwistedEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2010, 12:18 PM   #6
travis32
Registered Member

Pics attached

Yeah, I thought of that, that a pic might help. Sorry about that..

O.k. I'm posting 3 pics. 2 of the coral with the questionable health, and 1 of the hair mushrooms that are doing really awesome.

See attached pics. Sorry if some are upside down. I took them with my BB and can never figure out which way is upside down.

as to the lighting, the tank is a 55 gallon. I have a coralife 10k actinics light. It contains 4 Ushaped (twin) bulbs. Each is rated at 65 watts. The person I got it from said the light is rated for a 90 gallon tank and he used it on his 90 gallon for a long time.

So, I would think the lighting is sufficient. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

Thanks,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00018-20100212-2013.jpg (79.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00028-20100215-1657.jpg (90.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00029-20100215-1659.jpg (70.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by travis32; 02/16/2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Forgot information about lighting
travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral health, corals, health, soft, soft corals