Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2006, 07:56 AM   #1
powerplay
Registered Member

Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium Additives

I have questions regarding Reef additives. I am aware of the required levels of salinity, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, etc, but am unclear how to achieve these levels properly.
I have a 150 gallon with large wet dry, and a 120 gallon DSB plant tank piped into the sump. I also have a calcium reactor, 250 mg ozonizer, large skimmer, and VHO lighting over the display tank. I just purchased about 150 pounds of heavily encrusted coralline live rock, with some inverts, and I want to maintain this beautful rock.
I tested calcium and its only around 300-320. I tried adjusting the reactor this morning. My question is what are the essential additives to have proper calcium levels. I understand that magnesium is an important component. I don't want to haphazardly add chemicals.
You help will be most appreciated.
Thank you

powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2006, 11:09 AM   #2
toonascott
Registered Member

I have been using seachem buffer and Kent Liquid Calcium. I test my water religiously. Ph = 8.3, Calcium 420, Alkalinity 120

I have learned one important lesson with the liquid calcium. Do not put it in RO top off water and then top off your tank. Add the liquid calcium straight into your tank.

You will notice that as soon as you add the liquid calcium to RO water, the water turns cloudy instantly. I think that the liquid calcium precipitates when added to freshwater.

I added the liquid calcium straight into my tank for 2 months and no probs. Today I put it in my top off water and now I have a very cloudy tank.

Current Tank Info: 40g,75g,180g Reef and Fish
toonascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

First, you or anybody, should not be adding liquid calcium or Turbo caclium, as a sup, as it is not balanced. Such additives are a one shot deal. Meaning, if the Ca++ is low you bump it up and then use a balanced additive, like a 2-part, Kalk or Calcium reactor.

I tested calcium and its only around 300-320. I tried adjusting the reactor this morning. My question is what are the essential additives to have proper calcium levels. I understand that magnesium is an important component

You will have to raise that up with something like Kent Turbo Calcium, no more than 20 ppm / day. Once you get to 400 ppm stop and redial the Ca reactor and set up a kalk drip. If the reactor is not enough start a kalk drip to bring pH, Alk and Ca++ in-line. One of the big reasons behind the kalk drip is to bring the pH up to normal as reactors have a habit of lowering the pH do to CO2. Kalk "eats" up CO2

You should make sue that your Magnesium is where it is suppose to be first, 1300 ppm, before you do any of the above.

You should read these before you start.

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Calcium Reactor setup calculator (CaCO3/CO2 reactors)
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/reactor.html

Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2006, 05:59 PM   #4
powerplay
Registered Member

Thank you..........I will read the articles. What product do you recommend to bring up the magnesium level?

powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2006, 06:19 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

A commercial product based on magnesium chloride, like the Kent, ESV, or Salifert supplements, should be fine. There are DIY recipes, as well, if you don't mind a larger initial cost.

Unread 08/27/2006, 09:07 PM   #6
PatMayo
Registered Member

Randy had a 2 part reciepe that is very inexpesive as well. It's what I use.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Regards,

Pat

2 X 150 MH
2 X 96 watt PC Actinic
2 Clarki Clowns (31 months old)
1 Niger Trigger (Owned 6 months)
2 Tunze 6055 PH

Current Tank Info: 90 AGA Megaflow To Be Mixed Reef
PatMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 08:39 AM   #7
sterlruth
Premium Member

I use Kent M

The bottle neck is always at the top!

Current Tank Info: 2000 Gallons-- Tenecor Display. Schuran AQ 300 w/ AquaKat Auto Wash Down System, Schuran CR250 Professional Series Calcium Reactor, System Controlled by Metasys Controls & now using Zeovit
sterlruth is offline   Reply With Quote