Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2016, 09:03 PM   #9276
Itz_Koolio
Registered Member

Hello all, names Johnny, 13yo and very interrested in the hobby. 2 tanks, one is freshwter and the other is a 55gal reef (no corals at the moment though) and im LOADED with questions about my tank. Excited to learn, but how do I post a new thread?
Thanks all, Ya boy Johnny

Itz_Koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 12:16 PM   #9277
captmilkchoco
Registered Member

Hi everyone! I'm living in Miami and just got a used Oceanic BioCube 29 from a buddy who moved to Australia. I'm completely new to this and very excited to get started. I hope I can come on here for advice and help as I get going. Cheers!

captmilkchoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 03:58 PM   #9278
Darlene1037
Registered Member

Hi guys i am new to this saltwater stuff but have many years experience with freshwater fish and animals.
I have several corals and invertebrates
I used to rehabilitate horses but now just dogs and do dog sitting in my home.
I look foreword to discussing things on this forum with everyone.
Darlene

Darlene1037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 04:03 PM   #9279
hotashes
Registered Member

Yooooo people I'm in at the deep end. Literally, as I have just picked up 2 Aqua oak systemised tanks that I now need to build and fill. Although it seems like a lifetime before I get through some tank builds here to get tips, I'm sure I will pop up now and then and say hi. I'm based in London UK. Peace

hotashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 12:41 AM   #9280
Kmoe86pisces
Registered Member

New to hobby

Hello everyone my name is Karina moe I'm from Oregon I've been doing my research for months and want to get into salt water! I appreciate any help and advice anyone can offer I'm looking to get a good starter all in one 15 gallons or up I'm looking currently at the
CAD Mini-II Series Starfire Glass Nano System - 34 Gallon does anyone know of any other good all in ones I should consider? Thanks much your reefer friend Karina

Kmoe86pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 10:58 AM   #9281
Kjreiner1
Registered Member

New here

Good morning to all Reef Central!!

I used to be a member of Reef Central about 6 years ago. My fish tanks that I did have were destroyed by a professional I hired to move them and lost thousands of dollars in fish and corals. It was such a set back after all my hard work that I decided to not set any tanks up for awhile. But the saltwater fish bug has hit me again and I'm ready to think about setting up a tank.

Kristy

Kjreiner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2016, 11:35 AM   #9282
DavidToronto
Registered Member

Intro

Hi all,

I've always wanted to have an aquarium and finally got a salt water one a few months ago, it's been a learning curve ever since Hope some of my questions can be answered here.

DavidToronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2016, 04:52 PM   #9283
fishhawk123
Registered Member

Hello and Tanks in Advance

I had a setup some 9 years back.It was going for about a year or 18mos when moving caused it to be stored for that long. This site was priceless in both knowledge and comradery. As I am obviously a glutton for punishment, and a caveman with no common sense, I am setting it up again. As salt creep and old old age has set into my bones...and my wiring harnesses, I am looking for an inexpensive light setup. My tank is I believe an oceanic undrilled 110 gallon show. 48x18x28"tall. I have a 22gal refugium/sump, may look to upsize that a bit... I have a nice euroreef cs8-2 protein skimmer, my old dual HOB overflow bit the dust so must replace that. My old lights were 4xt8's with 2x400 watt batwing moguls w/10k bulbs.. Actinics in the t8s. Anyway, don't have the actual canopy...not sure where it ran away to lol. As I said, the harnesses, especially the t8s are shot. Was wanting to go led for power costs, heat...etc. My money is limited and I know I didn't get all the equipment I should have the 1st time around. I do have my priorities straight at least I hope as I ordered a 6 stage ro/do 100gpd the other day on eBay. Made sure it had the 5micron and 1micron filters. Also, I live in Rockport, tx about 30 mile from Corpus Christi. Any good lfs in that area? Any fellow reefers living nearby? Inquiring minds wanna know...

fishhawk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2016, 06:02 PM   #9284
ericvillela23
Registered Member

Smile eric

hey guys new to this love the hobby

ericvillela23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2016, 06:05 PM   #9285
ericvillela23
Registered Member

Smile radion xr15w pro

does it work for a 45 gal rimless jbj

ericvillela23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2016, 02:55 PM   #9286
Kristine
Registered Member

New to the forum and to Salt water

Hi guys.....I've decided to try a salt water tank. I've always loved creating miniature worlds, which is why I love designing aquariums.. I have experience with fresh water, and for the past 5 years, I've had success with discus....but now I'm itching to try salt water, and I'm ready to jump in! The tank that I plan to use is 90gl. tall with an Ehime 2217 cannister filter. Kristine

Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2016, 06:31 PM   #9287
ZKicka4000
Registered Member

Hello all, been active in the hobby for about 10 years but just getting back into it after a few year hiatus. I've always loved the hobby and my passion is keeping SPS corals. Previous reef tank was a 125 but now only have a 25 which is serving as my gateway back into the hobby. I wish these forums were available back when I started, would have saved me a lot of headaches!!

ZKicka4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 09:48 AM   #9288
Adityapd
Registered Member

Nitrate -40ppm
Po4-0.25
Nitrite-0
Kh-11
Ph-8.3-8.5
I am new to this hobby,i have a tank from almost a year,its a 120l tank.
With 3 types of zoas,inbuilt sump,2kg reef sticks,6 kg live rocks,3kg live sand
I want to reduce my nitrates how do i reduce them??
I am also getting cyno bacteria in tank every week and i covers the whole glass how do i get rid of it?

Adityapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 09:48 AM   #9289
Adityapd
Registered Member

It covers*

Adityapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 10:37 AM   #9290
HeulittSalmi
Registered Member

Smile Hello!

Hey everyone, I am fairly new to the hobby with only about a year dedicated to planted and just freshwater tanks. I am looking to start my 55 gallon reef tank here in the not to distant future. Any tips and pointers? I am also looking to build a stand that will not only hold my 55g but my 40g bearded dragon tank on top, that will fit a sump and up to a 29 gallon tank underneath with additional room for supplies. I will keep everyone updated with how it goes.

HeulittSalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 08:42 PM   #9291
michaelrc51
Registered Member

Hi everyone.
I am new to salt water tanks but I have had plenty of freshwater tanks over the years.
I picked up a DSA 225 Pro used a month or 2 ago and just spent a nice chunk on some equipment so I am pretty excited to get this project going in the next few months.
I have been lurking for a while but finally joined the forum after looking for some answers about a product I purchased.

michaelrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 11:21 PM   #9292
monkeyruler90
Registered Member

Hi, I'm Oscar.
I've always been in planted tanks but I want to start something Salty this year!
been in San Diego for a year, any locals?

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon Freshwater tank
monkeyruler90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 11:22 PM   #9293
monkeyruler90
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeulittSalmi View Post
Hey everyone, I am fairly new to the hobby with only about a year dedicated to planted and just freshwater tanks. I am looking to start my 55 gallon reef tank here in the not to distant future. Any tips and pointers? I am also looking to build a stand that will not only hold my 55g but my 40g bearded dragon tank on top, that will fit a sump and up to a 29 gallon tank underneath with additional room for supplies. I will keep everyone updated with how it goes.
40 gallon breeders are the best
that's awesome that you had a freshwater planted tank, do you still have one?

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon Freshwater tank
monkeyruler90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 01:03 AM   #9294
matt29
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I live in Australia and fairly new to the Saltwater hobby. I have a 90L tank going for almost 3 months. Had a freshwater tank when I was a little younger but now with kids so the inevitable Nemo and Dory had me setting up a saltwater tank in time for Christmas.

I have two Ocellaris clowns, a Blue Tang, Valentini puffer and 1 stromb and nassarius snail and a few coral.

Am keen to learn as much as I can from the knowledgeable Reef Central community.

matt29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 04:26 AM   #9295
BigYellowTang
Registered Member

Hello everyone,

My name is Robert. I am in New York. I am very new at this, only for about 10 months. I started with a 38 gallon and quickly knew that I enjoy this hobby immensely. 3 months later, I moved up to a 180 g tank. I am so happy that there is help out there such as "Reef Central" and want to thank the experts in advance for their time and inputs.

I love my fishes.....especially my Tangs and Lemonpeels.......and Trigger.....and Clowns....ok enough said.

BigYellowTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 05:23 AM   #9296
aspen1990
Registered Member

Hi there! I'm very new to the hobby and foresee having many questions Some of my google searches brought me to this site and it seems pretty helpful and informative so I decided to join in the community! As a kid I dabbled in freshwater systems, but this is my first experience with saltwater. I'm in the process of cycling a 29gal tank, and I believe I'm just about ready for my cleanup crew!

aspen1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 08:27 AM   #9297
JGARCED1
Registered Member

Jose

Good morning all!

My name is Jose and I am new to Reef Central. I have been looking around and this is very helpful. I have posted something under "New to the Hobby" forum. Any advise would be helpful.

JGARCED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 09:09 AM   #9298
Helikritz
Registered Member

Hello All!

Hello All, I am new to the forum however I have some experience but still have a lot to learn.

My previous setup (tore down 6 yrs ago) was an un-drilled 55 gallon with a 15 gallon sump. Had this set up for approximately 7 yrs with no issues. Started out as a fish with live rock, then i started to get some soft corals. Then i moved. I sold everything to close friends or I brought back to pet store to find good homes.

Now that "The Cave 2.0" is complete, I am once again starting a new set up and have been reading trying to figure out exactly what I want to do.

Here is the link to a thread I started about deciding what tank to set-up.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2552473

thank you in advance,
Kevin

Helikritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 12:24 PM   #9299
Ewb46
Registered Member

Hello my name is Zach.. been a long time freshwater keeper and I am setting up my first SW tank. Looking at doing basic corals and reef safe fish in a 55g with a 29g sump. Slowly building my set up and looking forward to SW. I have kept several FW tanks in the past and had a small fish room dedicated to breeding Cordora's and assorted Cichlids and livebearers. I have set up and maintained several planted tanks and really enjoy that aspect of the hobby as I am very hands on. I love DIY if at all possible, and look forward to setting up a reef tank.

Ewb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 12:59 PM   #9300
jsspallina
Registered Member

Hello everybody

I've been a member or Reef Central for a while however I i haven't posted much. I am about to begin a new build and i plan on sharing it with everyone shortly.

The new project will be upgrading my 90 gallon RR mixed reef to a
220 Gallon DT with a 125 gallon sump.

The tank will be placed between my living room and kitchen and will be viewable from all sides.

I was actually going to tare everything down because I lost a bit of interest but my wife has really taken interest it the tank and maintenance so we agreed to upgrade.

jsspallina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral