Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2012, 05:04 PM   #1
luxauterna
Registered Member

Reef Biotopes

Hey everyone . I am really interested in setting up a more specifically geared tank than just softies only, lps only, or sps only, etc. I've searched a lot via google and the search function on here and found a few ideas, but I am looking for more I am looking for biotope types that include type of sand, rock, corals, temp, lighting, flow, rock formations, etc. Any ideas of where I can find these?

Thanks!

luxauterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2012, 04:06 PM   #2
luxauterna
Registered Member

anyone?

Unread 03/11/2012, 06:22 PM   #3
NvyroMental
Registered Member

I would start either by either:
- choosing a particular species that you want to keep, or
- choose a geographic location that you want to replicate Atlantic, Pacific, etc.)

By finding a specific species that you want to kepp, you can then research the needs of that species and build around that.
By picking a specific location, you can build around those conditions (lighting, temp, substrate, etc.) found there and then add the species that you might find in the area.

As far as resources, i would just research everything individually until everything comes together. It really is fun and educating replicated biotopes found naturally in the wild. Hopefully this helps.

Good luck!

NvyroMental is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 12:04 AM   #4
luxauterna
Registered Member

Thanks Nvyro! I was hoping that someone had some cites or ideas of where I can search for those answers in reference to specific locations. Like a book, forum, etc. with info on certain locations and their species, plants, corals, specific to them. I haven't found much just by googling "Hawaii fish species, coral species" etc.

Tags
biotope, reef, theme