Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2016, 02:12 PM   #1326
mallard
Registered Member

I'll be joining the club shortly. Received a call from Steve that my tank has shipped! Super excited. It's a custom 48x30x20 rimless and drilled for the new Synergy Shadow Overflow!

mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 11:47 AM   #1327
z3speed4me
Registered Member

Getting closer... dry fitted some plumbing and testing out my lights.
I am off most of next week, so hoping I can fill it and kick off this cycle!

z3speed4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 11:52 AM   #1328
z3speed4me
Registered Member

Can't edit post apparently... hmmm

I think I am going to run the hard plumbing down a little closer to the return pump, and shorten the flex hose, any thoughts on my main drain into the filter sock I have setup?

If I put a piece longer into the sock which would optimally submerge that pipe ~1" under the water level, I can't get the sock off if the pipe is permanent. I was thinking of making that part not cemented so I could slip it off everytime I change / clean the sock. Just scared that over time vibrations of constantly pulling the piece off will weaken the integrity of the pipe overall and maybe even stress the bulkhead itself from minor shakes and twists of the pvc to remove the end.

z3speed4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 04:19 PM   #1329
hipertec
Registered Member

SCA 50G Skimmer UPGRADE!

For you guys that have the SCA 50G Cube tank and want to upgrade to a monster amazing skimmer...I have found this!

Ive been struggling with noise coming from my SCA301 skimmer along with a gut feeling that the skimmer isnt pulling as much as it should from my tank. The issue is that my footprint on the sump skimmer section is MAX 7"x8" - so my choices was very limited.

I came across Your Choice Aquatics skimmer DC13 (smaller footprint) that has a DC pump and controller. When looking deeper into the models, they have a DC 16 skimmer (rated up to 250G!) that fits into a 7"x7" - so took a chance on this skimmer that it will fit in my limited space AND cross fingers that it will not vibrate and make noise.

All I can say is WOW!!! - this DC16 skimmer kicks some BUTT! IT fit perfectly into my sump AND super quiet since it is a DC pump with controller! The controller allows the adjustment of power and even has a cool feature that pauses for 30 minutes and turn back on automatically, for feeding my corals.

Now I have a huge skimmer- producing AMAZING skimming in my SCA 50G Cube Tank. The pictures speak for themselves:

The DC16 pull alot of crap out of my tank that the SCA301 wasnt even able too and SUPER QUIET.

I know this may be overrated for my tank but I can always turn down the power of the pump, if needed and my old skimmer wasnt able to perform as well is this one.

The only thing with the DC16 on the SCA 50G sump is that I had to bring the water level up higher to about 7" to run this skimmer. Nothing else was affected and all works great.

If your looking to replace your SCA301 skimmer, the DC16 is a monster and highly recommended. They do have the DC13 skimmer if you are looking for a smaller footprint/skimmer but why not move to the biggest one that can fit in the SCA 50G Sump ?

Last edited by hipertec; 11/16/2016 at 04:39 PM.
hipertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 05:46 PM   #1330
mr70ss
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up i just got my 50 up and going.. I may be looking into this in the future..

mr70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 09:59 PM   #1331
Devaji108
Registered Member

be awhile since I have been on this thread enjoying my SC 90 for sure.

only grip I have is wish i could have done a custom overflow bouth it right before that was common knowledge.

so those fancy white stands you guys are posting. are they the new all wood from SC or the older ones? they look sharp!

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 05:16 AM   #1332
GfordQC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaji108 View Post
be awhile since I have been on this thread enjoying my SC 90 for sure.

only grip I have is wish i could have done a custom overflow bouth it right before that was common knowledge.

so those fancy white stands you guys are posting. are they the new all wood from SC or the older ones? they look sharp!
I think they are newish...i have only been seeing them on the forums for the last few months popping up. Yes they are all wood. Here is mine.

Build Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600702

Last edited by Dino; 04/10/2018 at 05:18 AM.
GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 12:57 PM   #1333
hipertec
Registered Member

Picture upload issues

Looks like the pictures didn't upload on my review of the Your Choice Aquatics so hope this works:

SCA 50G Skimmer UPGRADE!
For you guys that have the SCA 50G Cube tank and want to upgrade to a monster amazing skimmer...I have found this!

Ive been struggling with noise coming from my SCA301 skimmer along with a gut feeling that the skimmer isnt pulling as much as it should from my tank. The issue is that my footprint on the sump skimmer section is MAX 7"x8" - so my choices was very limited.

I came across Your Choice Aquatics skimmer DC13 (smaller footprint) that has a DC pump and controller. When looking deeper into the models, they have a DC 16 skimmer (rated up to 250G!) that fits into a 7"x7" - so took a chance on this skimmer that it will fit in my limited space AND cross fingers that it will not vibrate and make noise.

All I can say is WOW!!! - this DC16 skimmer kicks some BUTT! IT fit perfectly into my sump AND super quiet since it is a DC pump with controller! The controller allows the adjustment of power and even has a cool feature that pauses for 30 minutes and turn back on automatically, for feeding my corals.

Now I have a huge skimmer- producing AMAZING skimming in my SCA 50G Cube Tank. The pictures speak for themselves:

The DC16 pull alot of crap out of my tank that the SCA301 wasnt even able too and SUPER QUIET.

I know this may be overrated for my tank but I can always turn down the power of the pump, if needed and my old skimmer wasnt able to perform as well is this one.

The only thing with the DC16 on the SCA 50G sump is that I had to bring the water level up higher to about 7" to run this skimmer. Nothing else was affected and all works great.

If your looking to replace your SCA301 skimmer, the DC16 is a monster and highly recommended. They do have the DC13 skimmer if you are looking for a smaller footprint/skimmer but why not move to the biggest one that can fit in the SCA 50G Sump ?

Last edited by Dino; 04/10/2018 at 05:19 AM.
hipertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2016, 01:03 PM   #1334
Klems
Registered Member

So the wife is OK with upgrading from our 14g biocube to something bigger....she wants it big, like 4-5 ft long...but we don't have the room / placement for something like that so I am planning on getting a 50g cube from SCA. (24x24x20)

I have started to build my own stand because theirs seem to be too tight and not mush room inside of the cabinet. Building it 31x26 and 35" high with a side door to contain all electronics.

This is a list of things I am planning to get from BRS over the next week during the sales, please let me know if I am missing anything vital to the initial setup:

Skimz sn123 skimmer
BRS mini reactor
Marinepure balls 1 1/2 inch
1- 1" value gate valve for the return
2- 1/2" value gate valves for return manifold for reactor and future needs
Silicone tubing and mur loc connectors for manifold to reactor
Jabeo dcs5000 return pump
Braided 1" line for return to manifold and then up to barb just below bulkhead
3 1"unions for the Herbie drain and return
Strainer for drain pipe
1" pipe adapter to spigot for return pump to manifold
1/2" 90° spigot to barb to go from manifold to reactor
4x8 " felt socks (3)?
Extra PB4 bar for Reefkeeper lite
Tunze nano ato

Anything else???

Thanks
Ken

Klems is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2016, 07:40 PM   #1335
GfordQC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klems View Post
So the wife is OK with upgrading from our 14g biocube to something bigger....she wants it big, like 4-5 ft long...but we don't have the room / placement for something like that so I am planning on getting a 50g cube from SCA. (24x24x20)

I have started to build my own stand because theirs seem to be too tight and not mush room inside of the cabinet. Building it 31x26 and 35" high with a side door to contain all electronics.

This is a list of things I am planning to get from BRS over the next week during the sales, please let me know if I am missing anything vital to the initial setup:

Skimz sn123 skimmer
BRS mini reactor
Marinepure balls 1 1/2 inch
1- 1" value gate valve for the return
2- 1/2" value gate valves for return manifold for reactor and future needs
Silicone tubing and mur loc connectors for manifold to reactor
Jabeo dcs5000 return pump
Braided 1" line for return to manifold and then up to barb just below bulkhead
3 1"unions for the Herbie drain and return
Strainer for drain pipe
1" pipe adapter to spigot for return pump to manifold
1/2" 90° spigot to barb to go from manifold to reactor
4x8 " felt socks (3)?
Extra PB4 bar for Reefkeeper lite
Tunze nano ato

Anything else???

Thanks
Ken
Ken,

List looks good. What I found to be helpful on the plumbing plan was to scketch it out that way you can visualize what your thinking in your head. Helped a tone when I did my plumbing.

Build Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600702
GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2016, 09:51 PM   #1336
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfordQC View Post
Ken,

List looks good. What I found to be helpful on the plumbing plan was to scketch it out that way you can visualize what your thinking in your head. Helped a tone when I did my plumbing.
I completely agree, a sketch is priceless, as is living very close to a lowe's or home depot. I do NOT recommend drinking martini's while ordering plumbing supplies, not that i'd know...

SC

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 12:26 AM   #1337
Klems
Registered Member

How does this look for the return and manifold?

Unread 11/20/2016, 12:31 AM   #1338
Klems
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klems View Post
How does this look for the return and manifold?
This time with a picture...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161119_222920592.jpg (31.8 KB, 76 views)
Unread 11/20/2016, 07:41 AM   #1339
soulpatch
Registered Member

If you are going to hard plumb then get either spa flex or masterflex and use those in lieu of braided lines. The barbs cut down flow tremendously and the masterflex/spa flex also reduce the vibrations but can be glued like regular hard plumbing.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 10:01 AM   #1340
Klems
Registered Member

@soulpatch, where can I get that glue able flexible pvc? I saw some at HD, but they are 18" in length and I will only need like 4-5". Can I cut those and install new couplings on each end or is there another place to purchase the plain tubing?

Unread 11/20/2016, 10:14 AM   #1341
soulpatch
Registered Member

I can buy by foot at hd. And yes you cut to length same as regular pvc and use same glue. Just hold it in place a bit longer

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 10:22 AM   #1342
Capt_Cully
Registered Member

Quick question:

How thick is the pad that comes with the unbraced tanks?

Mine just came in, it's all crated up, I can tear it down if I have to, figured I'd ask here see if anyone knows.

I have to augment my existing stand but height will be an issue so I need this info 1st.

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 11:18 AM   #1343
Klems
Registered Member

I was going to get one if the neoprene mats from BRS, better looking than the styrofoam I've seen people use from the packaging that comes from SCA

Unread 11/20/2016, 11:45 AM   #1344
mallard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Cully View Post
Quick question:

How thick is the pad that comes with the unbraced tanks?

Mine just came in, it's all crated up, I can tear it down if I have to, figured I'd ask here see if anyone knows.

I have to augment my existing stand but height will be an issue so I need this info 1st.

Thanks!
The one I received was really thin. Not sure how thin, but not much to it. I'm ordering some extruded PVC foam to put underneath mine and put the one that came with the tank right on top of that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 12:57 PM   #1345
Capt_Cully
Registered Member

I talked to Steve Chow and he said people have been happy using 1/4" yoga mats. I'll look at some materials at HD.

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 03:56 PM   #1346
smoothlarryhughes
Registered Member

Hi all - If anyone is interested I am selling my SCA 90 Gallon Cube - see my post in the classified section. It is 1 year old. I am selling because I do no have time to maintain or establish the reef I envisioned.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2610328

smoothlarryhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2016, 06:51 PM   #1347
Reef Dude
Registered Member

Quality questions recarding new 50g from SCA

I recently ordered and received a 50g aquarium from SC. Overall, it's pretty awesome. Just a couple questions for my peace of mind... I don't think these issues are a big deal, but I wanted to verify with you guys. I'm overly cautious when it comes to this stuff.

1) I've attached 2 photos of the bottom seams. See the white "bubble" looking lines in between the side panel and bottom panel. It appears that these are areas where the silicon does not fully cover the entire joint, although the majority of the joint does have silicon. These gaps are approximately 2mm wide, and range from 1" to 5" long. There are around 8 of these only on the bottom panel joint. Is this fairly normal? They are not growing in size, and I'm assuming they were there before I filled the tank. Some of this stuff you just don't notice until there is water in the tank and it is lit.

2) Is it normal for their to be gaps under the tank? For reference to illustrate this, I've attached a photo of the Styrofoam board that the tank sat on during shipping (sorry for all the other dirt on it... It was used as a makeshift work bench for a few minutes while gluing some plumbing together). You can only see a partial outline of the tank's edges. This is how it sits on my stand full of water where some of the edges do not actually touch the stand/foam underlayment. I'm assuming most of the bottom panel is touching the top of the stand. Again, is this normal? I think the issue is that while all the tops of the panels are nice and even, the bottoms are not. For example, since the back glass panel is joined higher than the bottom glass plane and the front panel is joined so it sits lower than the bottom glass plane, it seems that it would be impossible for the entire bottom and all the edges to touch the stand at the same time.

I'm assuming these issues may be normal... I read this entire thread multiple times before ordering, I've read online elsewhere too, and their quality seems to be really good so I would be surprised if what I'm seeing is abnormal. This tank is a downgrade for a large tank and multi tank setup, so I was hoping that this would be a high quality tank that I wouldn't lose any sleep over.

Can you do me a favor and check your tank to see if you see anything like this? It would help me sleep that much better at night if this isn't isolated to just my tank. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6721.jpg (97.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6720.jpg (83.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6722.jpg (39.5 KB, 84 views)
Reef Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2016, 06:52 PM   #1348
Reef Dude
Registered Member

Meant to mention that I do have an email into Steve, and I'm waiting to hear back. Customer service thus far has been amazing. Just wanted to get your thoughts in the meantime.

Unread 11/21/2016, 07:37 PM   #1349
Reef Dude
Registered Member

Sorry, last post for now. Just went back through the thread and saw post 321 by underwoo on page 13 of this thread. On underwoo' third photo down, you can see how the left pane of glass sits on the stand and the front pane sites higher and is not touching the stand. Also, you can see the light coming through under this gap. This is the issue that I mentioned in my post regarding the gaps between the tank and stand... Not sure if this was ok or not. I've owned tanks for 25 years, but this is my first rimless/frameless so I'm still getting used to what is considered safe. I thought that for a rimless tank, the bottoms and all 4 side panels needed to be supported... But maybe that is not the case

Unread 11/23/2016, 02:04 PM   #1350
kzaveri19
Registered Member

Looking to upgrade the skimmer on my 66G. Any suggestions besides BM Curve 5 and Aquamaxx Co-1?