Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2016, 12:05 PM   #151
aquavista99
Registered Member

Nice pictures ...I miss the Florida Keys..Looe Key reef is what I miss the most

aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 08:33 AM   #152
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Gees, I can't wait for the weather to start warming up. Last night we were in the low 40's and I had heaters in both my aquarium systems. May/June snorkeling weather can't get here soon enough for me!

I did do a Sanibel Island beach walk and picked up a lot of porcelain crabs and some pistol shrimp. I was shocked when I saw that Drs F&S sell porcelain crabs for $19.95 each! Living near the Gulf of Mexico does have it's advantages! It almost made me forget about the $6 causeway fee and $4/hr parking cost (we were there for almost 5 hours).

Unread 02/21/2016, 07:12 AM   #153
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

A friend in our local aquarium club asked me yesterday about when I want to schedule my next Keys snorkeling trip? He'd like to go as soon as the snowbirds leave and motel rates go down for the end of the season.

I have wet suits that will keep me warm even in January & February temps for water in the Keys. But the other side of the coin is that the critters in the water don't have the luxury of changing to a heavier wet suit and they tend to 'hide out' until things warm up a bit... at least in my experience. Anybody have a good idea when things start to get better as far as underwater life in the Keys? Especially in the shallow near shore waters.

Unread 02/29/2016, 11:28 PM   #154
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Just booked Florida Keys trip the end of this May and would love any and all advice on what to do and see

so far thinking of spending 2-4 days in key west, and then spend the rest of the time in Marathon (I found a brand new Courtyard I could use Marriott points).

I have never snorkel but want to give it a try any tips or suggestions?
I want to see dry tortuga, but is this a snorkel spot? Then I also heard I should go to John Pennekamp. I would have booked Key Largo Marriott, but the rooms on points were gone. I am hoping Marathon is kind of a good jump of spot to see whatever is suggested.

My wife will want to see the sea turtle hospital.

thelawnwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2016, 08:11 AM   #155
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawnwrangler View Post
Just booked Florida Keys trip the end of this May and would love any and all advice on what to do and see

so far thinking of spending 2-4 days in key west, and then spend the rest of the time in Marathon (I found a brand new Courtyard I could use Marriott points).

I have never snorkel but want to give it a try any tips or suggestions?
I want to see dry tortuga, but is this a snorkel spot? Then I also heard I should go to John Pennekamp. I would have booked Key Largo Marriott, but the rooms on points were gone. I am hoping Marathon is kind of a good jump of spot to see whatever is suggested.

My wife will want to see the sea turtle hospital.
I posted this on our club page the other day. Hope this helps.

For now i'll mention some cheap things,
Upper Keys: Snorkeling trips in key largo $30-$40 Keysdiver.com, John Pennekamp like others mentioned, Florida Keys Wild bird center (free), Glass bottom boat (most keys have them, always a good alternative if you can't snorkel),

Middle keys: Turtle hospital, Florida Keys Aquarium Encounter, Sombrero Beach, Robbies (upper/middle keys area) and if you don't eat there just go to feed the tarpon it's a unique experience.

Key West: Butterfly and Nature Conservatory (#1 on trip advisor), Ernest Hemingway's house, Southernmost point, Duval, Mallory square,

Last edited by G_Sanab922; 03/01/2016 at 08:18 AM.
G_Sanab922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2016, 10:30 AM   #156
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Awesome thanks

I am going to have to youtube snorkeling- worried about rental fins and size 15 feet lol

I saw Aquarium Encounter I will have to check it out.

Unread 03/01/2016, 12:58 PM   #157
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome thanks

I am going to have to youtube snorkeling- worried about rental fins and size 15 feet lol

I saw Aquarium Encounter I will have to check it out.
If you go on a dive boat they will teach you on the spot. If you don't feel 100% then just stay at the top and swim to where it gets shallower but not too far from the boat , especially if there is a lot of current.
It's simple. Look down , keep your snorkel up , make sure your mask is snug ( not too tight and not too loose) and kick your feet under the water to make less commotion. My wife did it for the first time in Grand Turk and she's not the outdoorsy type. Feel free to ask for a vest if you want. May is a good time to snorkel, the weather is a lot better than winter time.
If you want to get a feel for all the types of gear stop by Diver's Direct in Key Largo, look and try on everything they have. See what you feel comfortable with, there's different types of fins.

Unread 03/01/2016, 02:56 PM   #158
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Sanab922 View Post
If you go on a dive boat they will teach you on the spot. If you don't feel 100% then just stay at the top and swim to where it gets shallower but not too far from the boat , especially if there is a lot of current.
It's simple. Look down , keep your snorkel up , make sure your mask is snug ( not too tight and not too loose) and kick your feet under the water to make less commotion. My wife did it for the first time in Grand Turk and she's not the outdoorsy type. Feel free to ask for a vest if you want. May is a good time to snorkel, the weather is a lot better than winter time.
If you want to get a feel for all the types of gear stop by Diver's Direct in Key Largo, look and try on everything they have. See what you feel comfortable with, there's different types of fins.
what are your thoughts on investment in my own gear for enjoyability - could I have something 50 or so that would be better than the loaner stuff, and make it more fun for me? Particularly if I go out a few times?

Unread 03/01/2016, 03:23 PM   #159
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
what are your thoughts on investment in my own gear for enjoyability - could I have something 50 or so that would be better than the loaner stuff, and make it more fun for me? Particularly if I go out a few times?
It really depends on how much you plan to snorkel. But if you want to be spontaneous and not have to worry about renting when you want to snorkel at the beach then yes it's a good option. Plus it's a good way to see if you really enjoy this hobby. You never know maybe you get addicted, you will then be able to get better gear as you get better with it.

Here's a link for different combos. Pretty cheap.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa..._C1_SetsCombos

This is way cheaper than diver's direct. Maybe go with mask and snorkel only and then get fins in store since your size might be difficult.
These aren't the best but for your application it should be fine.

Unread 03/02/2016, 07:02 AM   #160
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Thelawnwrangler, well, it looks like we'll just miss each other, my wife just put in for the 2nd week of May for vacation.

Try this idea, we have scuba dive schools here that sell masks, snorkels and fins, and they have a pool. Call the schools in your area and see if they will let you try out stuff in their pool? I know the one in my area does. That way you kill 2 birds with one stone, you get to buy (maybe a bit more expensive than a store), you get to try them in the water to test the fit, and you get to see how easy snorkeling can be. One other point, if you go out on snorkel charters, you can't ware gloves because they don't want you touching the coral. Do at least one charter (Looe Key is a reef off Bahia Honda State Park and it's a great reef). But if you go off a beach like Bahia Honda State Park (just over the 7 Mile Bridge from Marathon) with gloves you can have a lot of fun exploring shallow waters where you can lift up rocks (you'll really want gloves) and it will uncover lots of things you'll never see otherwise. Things like serpent stars, sea cucumbers, all kinds of crabs, and more. You'll be able to touch anemones and see their reaction without the worry of being stung.

I consider Bahia Honda State Park the single biggest don't miss site in the Keys, especially if you want to snorkel. You can rent your gear from them if you don't bring your own. They even have sea kayaks you can rent and take them out 1/4 mile to Little Bahia Honda Key and snorkel even cooler and very shallow water. Maybe 1 out of 10 or 20 snorkelers get out there.

Both off the beach and out at Little Bahia Honda Key there is a lot to see in VERY shallow water (1' to 2' if you want to get up close and personal) and if you go out from shore there is a lot to see in 5" and 10" deep water. How about a Candelabra Gorgonian that is 4" thick at the base, is 3' to 4' wide and is 4' to 5' tall.

Key West is fun and if you've never been, there is a lot to do, but it is very touristy. I go to the Keys 3 to 5 long weekends a year and I go to Key West once every 3 or 4 years, but I go to the Keys to snorkel.

The Dry Tortugas and Ft Jefferson are very cool if you like old forts and history, or if you want to snorkel in some very pristine and clear water. I like both and the 4 to 5 hours you get on site just wasn't enough for me. So my wife and I are planing an over night camping trip there this Spring or next Spring. But it's a long ride out and a long ride back (2.5 to 3 hours each way) and it isn't cheap.

Time for breakfast... more later.

Unread 03/02/2016, 08:56 AM   #161
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
So my wife and I are planing an over night camping trip there this Spring or next Spring. But it's a long ride out and a long ride back (2.5 to 3 hours each way) and it isn't cheap.
I guess you haven't heard about the huge Crocodile that lives on the beach

Unread 03/02/2016, 09:09 AM   #162
nuttyd
Registered Member

Here's a link for different combos. Pretty cheap.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa..._C1_SetsCombos

This is way cheaper than diver's direct. Maybe go with mask and snorkel only and then get fins in store since your size might be difficult.
These aren't the best but for your application it should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Go to a local store like divers direct or other dive shop to fit the mask to your face. nothing worse for the new snorkeler to have a mask that leaks the entire time. Then you can buy the mask online from dicks or leisurepro. Highly recommend nofog to go along with. Wash the mask glass with toothpaste before use. will help with fogging up.

nuttyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 10:36 AM   #163
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

great tips all thanks

Right now I am going to research the following:
Bahia Honda State Park
Pennekamp
and Dry Tortugas

I think definitely I will get my own mask and snorkel. I am driving down to Key West from Miami on a Saturday assuming key largo or islamaradoa is better for getting snorkel gear. I assume price difference is like LFS I don't mind a little premium if it comes with expert advise.

I need to research what I might see so I can identify it when I am out.

I am really excited and appreciate all the good tips

Ron Reefman - love the zoa you found are those very common in the area?

Unread 03/02/2016, 11:09 AM   #164
nuttyd
Registered Member

Most local dive shops will have waterproof cards that have species identifications on them. not very expensive either.

Mask fit is critical. Should be able to suck the mask to your face and have it stay without straps. That creates the best seal. Snorkels are preference. Get foot socks or booties to prevent rubbing your feet raw. Water is pretty cold now, rent a wetsuit.

nuttyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 12:58 PM   #165
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyd View Post
Most local dive shops will have waterproof cards that have species identifications on them. not very expensive either.

Mask fit is critical. Should be able to suck the mask to your face and have it stay without straps. That creates the best seal. Snorkels are preference. Get foot socks or booties to prevent rubbing your feet raw. Water is pretty cold now, rent a wetsuit.
will I need a wetsuit end of May?

great tips thanks

I like that species card idea I will look for it.

Unread 03/02/2016, 01:21 PM   #166
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:

great tips thanks

No wet suit needed.
Booties/Socks optional, they are normally used for fins that have the strap style.

Unread 03/02/2016, 01:34 PM   #167
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Quote:
No wet suit needed.
Booties/Socks optional, they are normally used for fins that have the strap style.
I am thinking about getting those because odds are with size 15 I am getting the strap style fin lol

Unread 03/02/2016, 01:43 PM   #168
AZRippster
Diver & Reef Aquarium Nut

G_Sanab922, hopefully you can pass on some advice. My wife and I typically go to The Keys every year, but normally in the Oct-Nov time frame. This year we're headed down to Islamorada in mid-April, a time we're not familiar with. We're divers and have dove most locations between Largo and Islamorada. What should we expect as far as water temps? I normally do not use a wetsuit, I hate them, and my wife typically just wears a skin. Thanks!

AZRippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 02:25 PM   #169
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRippster View Post
G_Sanab922, hopefully you can pass on some advice. My wife and I typically go to The Keys every year, but normally in the Oct-Nov time frame. This year we're headed down to Islamorada in mid-April, a time we're not familiar with. We're divers and have dove most locations between Largo and Islamorada. What should we expect as far as water temps? I normally do not use a wetsuit, I hate them, and my wife typically just wears a skin. Thanks!
Hey, yea no problem. April is a great time. Most of the time this is when it really starts heating up. For water temp it's around the high 70s. This is also when the Dolphin (Mahi mahi) start coming in. I highly recommend spending the money if you can and getting a charter to catch some (ask captain how it's running first).
Early part of April you still might get some of that spring break traffic as well.
As for wetsuits, I'm not a wetsuit person, I prefer not to wear them. I think you both will be fine without it. Maybe something light to protect from sun or something but that's more personal preference. You'll see a lot less jellies this time of year compared to Oct-Nov. Hope you trip goes well. try to get some pics to post here

Unread 03/02/2016, 04:48 PM   #170
AZRippster
Diver & Reef Aquarium Nut

Are you talking the big pink moon jellies? If so, crap! They are bad enough in Oct-Nov. I got nailed a couple years back by some. Right behind the knees! My son-in-law wants to go deep sea fishing so I'll let him know. Thanks for the info and advice.

AZRippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 06:21 PM   #171
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
great tips all thanks

Right now I am going to research the following:
Bahia Honda State Park
Pennekamp
and Dry Tortugas

I think definitely I will get my own mask and snorkel. I am driving down to Key West from Miami on a Saturday assuming key largo or islamaradoa is better for getting snorkel gear. I assume price difference is like LFS I don't mind a little premium if it comes with expert advise.

I need to research what I might see so I can identify it when I am out.

I am really excited and appreciate all the good tips

Ron Reefman - love the zoa you found are those very common in the area?
I've only found the green zoas in 2 places, both near Bahia Honda. But last year one of the main sites was completely over run with a algae that wreaked havoc on the zoas and queen conch. But you'd need a boat or kayak to get there anyway. The other site is not as good, but it's just off the SW end of the bridge that gets you onto Spanish Harbor Key. On the Florida Bay side of the island is an old quarry that is out in the water which we enjoy snorkeling around the outside, especially the end out away from shore. You can see it on Google Earth maps. The other side has a new 'park' facility and you can snorkel off the beach on that side as well. It's on that side were we found some of the zoas.

Quote:

great tips thanks

It depends on your body mass, how cold it's been, and how much you can tolerate the cold. Most of the Keys water temps will be in the 80's by May, maybe even 82 or 83 by late May. Is that warm enough for you? When I lived in Michigan I thought 80 was bath water warm... after 16 years in SW Florida, I'm still wearing a thin wet suit. And even in the heat of summer when water temps get into the high 80's I wear a dive skin to keep off the sun. For me, 2 to 3 hours snorkeling would fry me to a crisp. And it's different for divers because they are under water and the UV doesn't penetrate very far.

Quote:
No wet suit needed.
Quote:
I am thinking about getting those because odds are with size 15 I am getting the strap style fin lol
I never used them. Then last summer my wife had me try a pair and they make getting your foot through the wet suit so much easier and getting the fins on is easier as well. Now I love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRippster View Post
Are you talking the big pink moon jellies? If so, crap! They are bad enough in Oct-Nov. I got nailed a couple years back by some. Right behind the knees! My son-in-law wants to go deep sea fishing so I'll let him know. Thanks for the info and advice.
AZ, he said LESS chance of jellies. BTW lawnwrangler, jellies are much less of an issue most of the time for snorkeling, especially off the beach. Although I did get a good sting from an upside down jelly. I felt safe with a dive skin and gloves, but part of my wrist was exposed and I got a nasty hit.

Unread 03/08/2016, 02:40 PM   #172
icy1155
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
It depends on your body mass, how cold it's been, and how much you can tolerate the cold. Most of the Keys water temps will be in the 80's by May, maybe even 82 or 83 by late May. Is that warm enough for you?
That's really the best answer here. I can dive all year round in the keys with a 1.5 mil wetsuit. I wear it mainly because its camo for when I'm spearfishing, but it keeps ME warm enough in the winter than I can spend all day in the water. My wife on the other hand wears a 3/2 wetsuit in the winter and she gets cold in a couple hours. Just depends on how prone you are to getting cold.

icy1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2016, 02:48 PM   #173
nogascans
Registered Member

Anyone make a recommendation for a good dive shop in lower keys? I would like to plan a couple of days diving at Looe Key while wife does some snorkeling. Planning 1st week of April.

Sincerely,

David

nogascans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2016, 07:46 AM   #174
Speedfreak241
Registered Member

Well I'm down here in the Islamorada and can't go to my spot to get the coordinates because it is to windy anyone have any good locations when there's wind blowing out of the southeast at 13.

Speedfreak241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 09:49 AM   #175
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Sorry I'm late to this, but if off the beach stuff is an interest, look at the Horseshoe on the NW side of Spanish Harbor Key. There is a parking lot there and it's an old quarry that is 40' to 60' deep inside and quite shallow outside for snorkeling. Little if any coral, but tons of other life among the rock rubble outside the arms of the quarry. See the 2nd photo of post 3 in this thread. You can easily see the horseshoe in the Google Earth photo.