Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Corriebh
Registered Member

LFS vs. online stores

Hi Guys

I am just wondering what everyone's experience has been buying fish, invertebrates and corals at the LFS vs. online? I have always bought fish in a store and now I am thinking about buying a few online. It is a little scary to order online without seeing the fish but I like the larger selection.

And if you have had good experience buying online what sites were you successful with.

Thanks

Corriebh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 05:28 PM   #2
gone fishin
Registered Member

Live Aquaria/ Divers Den is my online go to place. I have not been disappointed yet.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corriebh View Post
Hi Guys

I am just wondering what everyone's experience has been buying fish, invertebrates and corals at the LFS vs. online? I have always bought fish in a store and now I am thinking about buying a few online. It is a little scary to order online without seeing the fish but I like the larger selection.

And if you have had good experience buying online what sites were you successful with.

Thanks
This can go both ways. One plus to LFS over online sources is you can see the fish eat and observe behaviors for signs of disease/overall health. LiveAquaria/DD and NYAquatics are the only two online sources worth looking at, don't waste your time with any other places

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 05:33 PM   #4
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

I am lucky to have a great LFS Pampered Pets in Toledo Ohio. But if your LFS can not get you what you want most people agree that Live Aquaria is great. The one time I ordered from them I got the wrong fish, but they gave me a credit to order a different fish very little fus, and great customer service.

Mrs. Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 05:40 PM   #5
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

LA/DD here, too. the closest lfs to me is an hour away. they rarely have much other than the usual tangs and clownfish. their tanks are full of ich. once in a blue moon, i will find a decent coral there but it doesn't happen often.

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 05:43 PM   #6
Corriebh
Registered Member

Just one other quick question.....I live in Wisconsin and currently it is 10 degrees outside. Does LA give you a window as far as when they will be delivered. I don't want fish ice cubes

Corriebh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 05:45 PM   #7
jrr98002
Registered Member

+1 to Live Aquaria/Diver's Den here too although I've also ordered a few times from Vivid Aquariums with nice results. I always made sure to personally call Dave though so that could be why...not sure if just went straight website what it'd be like TBH. Just remember if you go online about not keeping the fish in the bags too long after opening them due to ammonium>ammonia conversion.

jrr98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 05:45 PM   #8
NTP66
Registered Member

I've had good luck with both LA and saltwaterfish.com, personally. I've recently started added some mushrooms to my FOWLR, and have been using my LFS for that since he frags a lot of stuff and sells it cheap. As far as cleanup crews go, I don't bother looking anywhere other than reefcleaners. John's the best.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
NTP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 05:46 PM   #9
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Just one other quick question.....I live in Wisconsin and currently it is 10 degrees outside. Does LA give you a window as far as when they will be delivered. I don't want fish ice cubes
They use UPS now so overnight priority is guaranteed by 1030am but be sure and check the fine print on UPS to make sure you don't live in a area that delivers later than that

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 05:48 PM   #10
Brando457
Registered Member

Live Aquaria/ Divers Den is my online go to place. I just got a pbt/hippo from DD in today, as Dmorty said it came by 10:30 AM. They included 3 heat packs and the box was VERY warm inside when I opened it.

Both fish are fat and happy in my QT.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon in wall w/ 75g sump & 40 breeder fuge
Brando457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 07:07 PM   #11
alf1096
Registered Member

I just ordered some fish by mail and it was my first time. Out of 9 fish one was DOA and I have a Flame Angel that was active and looked good for about 6 hour now laying on its side at the bottom of the tank, only time will tell but I bet he is a goner. It was from one of the places listed above and not live aquaria.

alf1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 07:23 PM   #12
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

alf, how did you acclimate? did you add all of these fish to your dt at the same time?

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 07:30 PM   #13
alf1096
Registered Member

They are all small fish. I have a 15 gal and 20 gal qt going.

Unread 02/05/2015, 07:41 PM   #14
ajespo85
Espo

I do like to buy and support my LFS. Most owners will do what they can to order you what fish you want. In my case, they will even special order tanks/stands and other dry goods for you. Yes, you can order online, but I like the personal customer service and you can actually watch the fish eat at a LFS. I like walking into mine and the people know you, and know your tank set up, so they can help you better.

ajespo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 07:56 PM   #15
jason10012
Registered Member

If your going to order online I have to agree with everyone with using live aquaria, but I prefer to go to my lfs so I know exactly what fish or coral I'm getting and if it's healthy.

jason10012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 08:03 PM   #16
Fogvalley
Registered Member

La switched to ups, no winter orders for me, 5-8pm garentted. I have to go online or drive 4 hours to the closest actual Lfs. Which occasionally happens

Fogvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 01:07 AM   #17
Patchmty
Registered Member

I used reefs2go when I lived in the States and never had a problem, always great fish and corals.

Patchmty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 06:39 AM   #18
snorvich
Team RC member

If you are buying from an LFS, it would be best to find out if they run copper in their system. If they do, inspection for health won't work out reliably since copper masks many parasites.

Unread 02/06/2015, 06:47 AM   #19
firemountain
Registered Member

I am in my LFS frequently to see what they get in, and try to support them as much as possible. But there are those few instances when LA/DD will get fish in, that are just "gems" that you gave to buy.

For me...buying my Gold Assessor Basslet from LA /DD was one of those instances. The coloring and behavior is just awesome.

Current Tank Info: 65g mixed reef
firemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 07:09 AM   #20
phenom5
Unregistered Member

For fish and inverts, LA/ DD is by far the best online vendor I've dealt with.

For Corals, DD, Vivid, Yourreef, Unique, Battlecorals.
FWIW, with Vivid, they call you once they get your order ready to confirm the order, confirm the shipping, and make any substitutions if anything you order is out of stock. Nice touch.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 Pro | ATI Sunpower | ATB 840 v2 | Apex | Wav
phenom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 07:16 AM   #21
brittonv
Registered Member

Have many/any of you had experience getting corals from vividaquariums.com? I have seen some NICE frags in a buddies tanks but as I am still gearing up haven't ordered yet myself.

brittonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 07:30 AM   #22
phenom5
Unregistered Member

I've bought corals from Vivid several times. Always good sized, healthy, colorful frags. Definitely recommend.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 Pro | ATI Sunpower | ATB 840 v2 | Apex | Wav
phenom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 07:48 AM   #23
toothybugs
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP66 View Post
I've had good luck with both LA and saltwaterfish.com, personally. I've recently started added some mushrooms to my FOWLR, and have been using my LFS for that since he frags a lot of stuff and sells it cheap. As far as cleanup crews go, I don't bother looking anywhere other than reefcleaners. John's the best.
Same here - SWF and LA have never done me wrong.

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 08:10 AM   #24
coffee_snob
Registered Member

I prefer LFS. I must be one of the lucky ones to have good local source.

Prices are good were I go. Fish and corals I have bought have been very healthy. Equipment prices are semi-competitive with online and I don't have to wait for them.

I like to observe what I'm buying beforehand, and that they will be in my tank within an hour, verses 12+ hours in a box.

Unread 02/06/2015, 09:38 AM   #25
gone fishin
Registered Member

Quote:
I am in Wisconsin I usually get orders by 10:30. That being said do watch the weather and order accordingly. IF you are near Madison I can give you a decent LFS name.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote