Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Lisauze
Registered Member

Help with a Blue Hippo/Regal Tang

I purchased a saltwater set up from a guy and he had what he called a blue hippo tang. He kept it in a 55 gallon aquarium and said that for the past six months it lays on its side under the rocks and comes out to eat. He thought it was sick but the other fish have never been sick so he told me that if I didnt want it he would just throw it out. I took it along with the other fish in the tank. I also have a 55 gallon tank. I know this is not big enough for tangs I had not planned on get any but I couldnt leave it to be disposed of. It doesnt look sick. It just lays on its side all the time. Is it because of the tank size or is their something wrong with it? I have heard about a swim bladder that can cause fish to not remain upright. Help I am really not sure what to do. His tank mates are one yellow tang(from the same person) 2 clowns a three striped damsel and a orange diamond goby/blenny he called it a blenny but I believe he was mistaken.

Lisauze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2011, 09:54 PM   #2
luckydog104
Registered Member

A lfs in my area had a hippo that was several years old and that fish would lay on it's side all the time . It is fairly common for hippo tangs to do that , not 24/7 other than to eat though. If he looks good and is eating well get him in a bigger tank , I would say he is fine.

luckydog104 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, hippo tang, regal tang, tang