Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2019, 04:15 PM   #1
KWConch
Registered Member

Newbie: Can you review my tank build sheet

Hey everybody,

I'm new to forum and planning my first tank. I've been doing a lot of research and watching a lot of videos on Youtube. And now I think I've got a build sheet spec'd out and want to see what everyone thinks. If I'm missing anything, if you've had experience with something and think I should steer away or think it's a great product, etc. If there's one thing I've learned so far is there's a million ways to do this, and everyone has their own idea on what's the "right way" but I'd like to get some feedback so I don't go wasting my time and money.

First, I'm starting off with a very basic and budget setup which means no sump, no skimmer, no refugium, etc. I may catch hell for this, but I'm just getting started and need to keep the budget and complexities down. Stick to the basics.

Second, my plans for corals, fish and inverts. (These are all over time of course but this is what I know I want to build to and add to the tank over time)

Corals & Anemones:
-Rock anemones
-Bubble tips
-Hammer
-some Candy Canes

I realize these aren't specific species but a generalization. I'm not looking to do Paly's or Zoa's or anything that's crazy complicated, challenging or difficult. I'm actually going to enjoy the fish more than the coral (don't https://reefcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/uzi.gif me know)

Fish:
-Clownfish (ocellaris)
-a Tang (still researching exactly which one I want and can fit)
-Star
-puffer (like a Valentini)

I know this list has got to get better and is very vague, but I know that I want the clownfish, some kind of tang, a starfish (not technically a fish I know), and a puffer. I just need to keep doing research on what will fit inside the tank I want and what will mix well together.

Inverts:
-Giant Clam
-Harlequin shrimp
-Skunk Shrimp
-Blue & Red Leg hermits
-Conchs snails

Finally, the Tank:
-48" 120 Gallon
-2x Rossmont Mover M900 Powerheads with the Rossmont waver powerhead controller
-Seneye Reef Monitor
-Eheim 250w Jäger heater
-Pukani Dry Rock
-Live Sand

Lights:

I wanna go LED and seems like the Radion XR15 G4 or the Kessil A360 is the way to go. These may be overkill for the basic corals and fish I want to keep. If you can recommend something more budget that will get the job done, please!

I'd like to get a tank with a built in overflow (all in one), so I haven't done a lot of research on HOB filters, but if anyone wants to recommend some I'd appreciate it.

Misc:
-Red Sea Test Kits
-BRS refractometer
-Flipper Max Magnetic Cleaner
-Accudrip acclimator
-Python No spill water changer

Anything anyone wants to add to the list, take off, something for me to research, any thoughts, input, advice, all appreciated. Thanks everyone!https://reefcentral.com/forums/image...s/beerchug.gif

KWConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2019, 07:04 AM   #2
j.falk
Registered Member

Harlequin shrimp eat starfish...that is their primary food source.

Starfish can eat corals.

Valentini puffers can eat clams, shrimp, snails, starfish and crabs.

Pukani dry rock is well known for leaching phosphates which fuel algae growth. You might want to do some research on it.

Last edited by j.falk; 06/20/2019 at 07:35 AM.
j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2019, 08:11 AM   #3
KWConch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.falk View Post
Harlequin shrimp eat starfish...that is their primary food source.

Starfish can eat corals.

Valentini puffers can eat clams, shrimp, snails, starfish and crabs.

Pukani dry rock is well known for leaching phosphates which fuel algae growth. You might want to do some research on it.
Got ya, noted. I need to do a lot more research on my livestock. Most of the research I've done is on the tank setup and equipment. Which is overwhelming.

Unread 06/20/2019, 08:19 AM   #4
KWConch
Registered Member

I have a question about filtration. I know I could add a HOB skimmer down the road. If I get an AIO tank which is what I'm looking for I could also add an skimmer in there along with other filtration equipment.

If I'm unable to locate an AIO within my budget. Do I need to run a HOB mechanical filter if I'm running a dual media reactor with pump, or vice versa? It seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong. They seem to be doing the same thing (if I add media to the HOB mechanical filter). Since there should already be enough water and surface movement with the wave maker powerheads, I feel like I could get away without the ugly HOB mechanical filter and run just the DMR with pump. Any thoughts?

Unread 06/20/2019, 08:19 AM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Jager heaters are the old contact style, when they fail, they can fail in the on position frying everything in your tank

Have a look at the fluval 300w e-series which is smart and digital.
Back up any heater you buy with an ink bird temp controller.
This combo will ensure you don’t fry your inhabs.

I would consider a pair of clowns, but no crabs, they will eat anything they can catch especially sleeping clowns

10 nassauris snails
5 Mexican turbo
30 ninja ( star) a stress

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2019, 09:59 AM   #6
KWConch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Jager heaters are the old contact style, when they fail, they can fail in the on position frying everything in your tank

Have a look at the fluval 300w e-series which is smart and digital.
Back up any heater you buy with an ink bird temp controller.
This combo will ensure you don’t fry your inhabs.

I would consider a pair of clowns, but no crabs, they will eat anything they can catch especially sleeping clowns

10 nassauris snails
5 Mexican turbo
30 ninja ( star) a stress
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Unread 06/20/2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I would consider my Rock as my primary filter and most important.
I do use a mechanical HOB filter but it’s use is to pick up crap in the the water column and I must keep the filter clean each week. I also use this mechanical filter to deploy carbon and GFO.

Keep in mind that “flow” is essential to the system and lots of random movement is quite beneficial in many ways.

I know you don’t need to run a skimmer, but it is an excellent exporter of nutrients

I also consider my weekly 10% water change critical to a healthy system

One way to check your filtration is to measure nitrates weekly, after each water change and you would want to keep nitrates 2-5ppm, max of 10 and phosphate 0.03-0.07, max of .1

This shows nutrients low but enough that corals won’t starve

Last edited by Uncle99; 06/20/2019 at 11:46 AM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2019, 12:22 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWConch View Post
Do I need to run a HOB mechanical filter if I'm running a dual media reactor with pump, or vice versa?
You don't need a HOB or any media reactors in general...

Not sure if you stated your intentions but I caution against blindly running GFO media.. It can do more harm than good by stripping the tank of needed phosphates..

IF anything I would suggest a skimmer over HOB filter/reactors..
But even a skimmer is optional..

As stated rock and specifically the beneficial bacteria that grows on/in it does the lions share of the work in a tank.. One can be quite successful with nothing but sufficient rock to give sufficient surface area for bacterial colonization..

Unread 06/20/2019, 12:25 PM   #9
KWConch
Registered Member

Awesome, Thanks Uncle99 & mcgyvr!

Tags
newbie, recommendations, spec sheet, tank build