Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/08/2011, 08:12 PM   #1
dkk08
Registered Member

Ghost Pipefish, how difficult are they?

Hi I saw this very very beautiful black ghost pipefish at a local fish farm, I'm just wondering how difficult are they.

The Rattlesnake may be esteemed an emblem of vigilance. She never begins an attack or when engaged, never surrenders. She is hence an emblem of magnanimity & true courage. She never wounds till she has generously given notive even to her enemy, and cautioned against the danger of treading upon her.
dkk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2011, 12:52 AM   #2
pledosophy
Registered Member

on a scale of 1 to 10 an 11. I will try most things, but not those.

When I started breeding seahorses (reidi)it was a scientific fact that what I was doing was impossible, I'd give that about a 7 on the hard scale if that helps.

Unread 10/09/2011, 10:13 AM   #3
dkk08
Registered Member

I've kept Kuda and Reidi before so they weren't exactly that difficult once they start feeding... thanks for the input will seriously consider somemore if I should even try

The Rattlesnake may be esteemed an emblem of vigilance. She never begins an attack or when engaged, never surrenders. She is hence an emblem of magnanimity & true courage. She never wounds till she has generously given notive even to her enemy, and cautioned against the danger of treading upon her.
Unread 10/11/2011, 10:45 AM   #4
timinnl
Registered Member

They had some over here last year and none made it past a month in anyones tanks. Most didn't even it out of the wholesalers.

Tim

timinnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2011, 12:46 PM   #5
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

Ghost pipes are one of those "best left in the ocean" fish, at least for now. Nobody has been able to "crack the code" in terms of keeping them long term.

I've known some very sharp SH-keepers with years of experience that haven't been able to do it. Even tho Renee and I have years of experience (individually and collectively), and would love to keep them, this is one fish we won't try.

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2011, 12:46 PM   #6
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

posted double

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
Unread 10/11/2011, 04:31 PM   #7
asid61
Registered Member

I went to the Steinhart Aquarium a couple weeks ago, and they had some for all to see. I really hope they have success with them.
My younger brother's cub scout pack is having a sleepover there in a few weeks, and I get to go, so I'll be able to see if they still have them alive and floating.

asid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2011, 04:38 PM   #8
waitasecun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by namxas View Post
Ghost pipes are one of those "best left in the ocean" fish, at least for now. Nobody has been able to "crack the code" in terms of keeping them long term.

I've known some very sharp SH-keepers with years of experience that haven't been able to do it. Even tho Renee and I have years of experience (individually and collectively), and would love to keep them, this is one fish we won't try.
I agree +1, I have one and regret having purchased it since I watched it wither away even though my constant attempts to feed it

waitasecun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2011, 12:39 PM   #9
dkk08
Registered Member

Ok noted, guess I'll leave them alone so as not to encourage the suppliers from bringing more in only to eventually kill them...

I recently saw a shipment of Pipehorse anyone has any info on them or have experience with them?

Unread 10/13/2011, 02:10 PM   #10
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

It depends on WHICH pipehorse you're referring to. The most common is the alligator pipe (Syngnathoides biaculeatus) which does very well in captivity given the proper setup and tankmates.

Unread 10/13/2011, 09:02 PM   #11
dkk08
Registered Member

Ah yes the Alligator Pipehorse which also can be found in Singapore's surrounding water... but its a big pipehorse... will see how it goes thanks namxas