Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Laflower
Registered Member

Condensation in attic?

Im looking for advice I have a 75 gallon fish tank upstairs in the hallway that is used for axolotls...The tank is about half full and the temperature is kept between 58-68F and in the attic at the opposite end of the hallway we are having problems with condensation on the attic ceiling causing frost. Could the fish tank be what is causing this problem even if theres a door that is always kept shut separating the hallway and the attic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 04:50 PM   #2
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Doubtful it’s the fish tank. Where are you located? If your in a cold climate I’m sure there isn’t any insulation behind the area that is condensating.

BoisBlancBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 05:30 PM   #3
saltnewb
Registered Member

sounds like a bigger issue than the tank, are you topping off alot of water everday , cuz if not than you can pretty much immediately rule it out

saltnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Apotack
Registered Member

Check to make sure bathroom exhaust fans are exhausting to outside the house. Make sure you have good ventilation in the attic and proper insulation between living space and attic space. Most likely not the fish tank

Current Tank Info: 125gal
Apotack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 12:30 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

No way 40 some gallons of water in a tank is causing problematic humidity issues down the hall.. NO WAY..
Unless this is one of those "tiny houses" built on trailers and "down the hallway" means from my shoulder to wrist length

Unread 04/06/2018, 12:38 PM   #6
Laflower
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
No way 40 some gallons of water in a tank is causing problematic humidity issues down the hall.. NO WAY..
Unless this is one of those "tiny houses" built on trailers and "down the hallway" means from my shoulder to wrist length

Thanks I didn’t think so but my father in law was insisting I was ruining the attic!! I knew he was full of it! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 07:27 AM   #7
rocsec1
Registered Member

I had the problem when I sold my last house. Turned out the bath fans weren’t vented properly.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 09:22 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocsec1 View Post
I had the problem when I sold my last house. Turned out the bath fans weren’t vented properly.
That is quite commonly the reason..
The vent tube isn't taken to the eve vent or other suitable spot so all the bathroom humid air is just dumped into the attic in that local area..

Typically it would be quite easy to see whats causing the problem if one just looks up there..

Unread 04/22/2018, 08:10 PM   #9
rhdoug
Registered Member

From experience here...I would bet your attic is not properly ventilated.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 10:05 AM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

^^ Captain Obvious

Unread 04/23/2018, 04:36 PM   #11
C. A. M.
Registered Member

Captain Obvious is correct but it is an easy fix hopefully. Had the same problem above my girls' room. Water was condensing on the rafters and dripping down making water spots on the ceiling.
The &>^*@$$ builder threw up insulation and jammed it over the soffit vents to the outside. Got up there and pulled them away just enough to uncover the vents and problem solved.

C. A. M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:45 PM   #12
rhdoug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. A. M. View Post
Captain Obvious is correct but it is an easy fix hopefully. Had the same problem above my girls' room. Water was condensing on the rafters and dripping down making water spots on the ceiling.
The &>^*@$$ builder threw up insulation and jammed it over the soffit vents to the outside. Got up there and pulled them away just enough to uncover the vents and problem solved.
My old problem exactly, plus there was no ridge vent. Water dripping in the attic, like being in a cave!!

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2018, 02:45 PM   #13
sbreefer
Afflicted Reefer

being an architect, this is really a building science issue. To everyone's assertion above, you have a moisture issue, likely not the tank causing it. the condensation is always inadequate ventilation, and insulation.
plus one on checking to see if fart fans actually dump to the exterior. if no, make it so.
next, is there a vapor barrier on the warm side of your thermal assembly? such as 6 mil poly.
if no, fix it.
last is there enough insulation up against the ceiling in the attic? if no, water vapor is moving thru insulation from house, hitting dew point and dripping back to drywall.
classic issue.....

Current Tank Info: SPS dominated 300g
sbreefer is offline   Reply With Quote