Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2016, 03:17 PM   #26
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
I will stay in away from reef flakes on sand. I'm having all sorts of problems with it looking bad. I had Fiji pink sand before and really liked it but it moves easy. So you have to be careful with the way you point power heads. FYI if you need powerhead there is someone selling some RW-8's on FMAS page on RC. I think like $30 or $40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a pair of koralia 600gph power heads. I think eventually I'll go 2 mp10s. Any other recommendations on sand?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

teddyzaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2016, 10:04 PM   #27
jonnyu
Registered Member

Not really I just like smaller grain sand as it does not get algae growth on it like large grain ones

jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 06:34 AM   #28
homer1475
Registered Member

Caribsea special reef grade sand. It has a nice mix of fine and larger particles that are just right for a reef. If you want to keep wrasses and such that burrow in the sand, then a finer sand is whats needed. The only problem with fine sand is it has a tendency to blow around.

PH's, while I really like my set of mp10's(ecotech's CS is second to none), they are a bit pricey and your stuck with whatever ecotech decides as proper flow patterns.

I also have a set of jebao pp8's, and with a controller(apex), the option for control ability is endless. Also they are over half the price of mp10's if you don't mind the look of the entire PH in the tank.

Nice looking build so far.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 10:25 AM   #29
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Caribsea special reef grade sand. It has a nice mix of fine and larger particles that are just right for a reef. If you want to keep wrasses and such that burrow in the sand, then a finer sand is whats needed. The only problem with fine sand is it has a tendency to blow around.

PH's, while I really like my set of mp10's(ecotech's CS is second to none), they are a bit pricey and your stuck with whatever ecotech decides as proper flow patterns.

I also have a set of jebao pp8's, and with a controller(apex), the option for control ability is endless. Also they are over half the price of mp10's if you don't mind the look of the entire PH in the tank.

Nice looking build so far.
I like the look of that sand. I think i'll go with it. Do you think 30lbs is enough, or should i just grab 40lbs? I did some math and it seems like 30lbs might be just right for a 1" bed.

Unread 12/08/2016, 12:57 PM   #30
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Sitting at work and I get a notification that my brs box is at my house. Trying to find a way to sneak out early! (Just kidding, but I'm excited) heater, all the plumbing, a pad for my sump, and some other misc stuff! Next order will be testing supplies and then rock. Debating between brs pukani, TBS live rock, or Marcos rocks. Probably do Marcos and just buy a bunch extra so I have choices.

Unread 12/08/2016, 06:45 PM   #31
teddyzaper
Registered Member

What are your guys thoughts on plumbing? The ball valve from return going right is just extra. The other is my reactor. I've made it so that you can disconnect most of it via the union's. If you guys say it looks good I'll go ahead and glue it up! Btw that locline is a pita...

Unread 12/08/2016, 07:30 PM   #32
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Already fixed some minor issues, the union on the back side was right next to the directional thingy which has its own unions, so i moved it down. Everything looks really nice, very glad i did blue tubing. Going to take off all the bar codes and stuff with acetone, then i may paint them black. Not sure yet as i don't really want to paint the unions just incase some gets in them, same with the ball valves. may look strange with just black 45/90s and white valves/unions.

Unread 12/09/2016, 07:55 PM   #33
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Finalized plumbing. Happy with the results. Also did a bit of wiring, figured out how I want everything plugged in. Next will be cable management then sliding the tank in and sticking stuff inside! I'm debating between reef cleaner, and Marcos rocks. Ill probably pick up 50lbs as I want a minimal aquascape. Really wishing I had more room in the sump area, but for now this is what I got. Eventually I'm going to order a custom ATO/dosing container that fits a bit better.

Reef keeper online. I continue to be disappointed by it, but I'll at least give it a try for a while. May just swap to apex eventually. Also may not run pH probe yet.

Unread 12/10/2016, 01:43 PM   #34
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Ordered ocean direct original size sand, 30lbs, red Sea aquarium starter, and 50lbs of reef cleaner rock. John at reef cleaner sent me a nice email and I gave him a little idea of what the aquascape plan is, I have high hopes for this rock! Looking at other auto top off containers as I don't think this one will hold enough water. I'd like one that can fit in a little ottoman or some other decent looking storage container off to the left side of the stand.

Unread 12/10/2016, 02:36 PM   #35
jonnyu
Registered Member

Nice looking good. Apex is the way to go but your reef keeper will do it's job just a little more frustrating to program

Unread 12/12/2016, 06:18 PM   #36
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Quicky update. Scrapped the ATO container that i had from the container store. The cabinet to the right of the aquarium got replaced with something bigger and i'll be using that for storage/ATO. Got a 10g glass tank with a lid in there for ATO now.

Ordered NO3/PO4 and CA/ALK/MAG test kits from red sea and the BRS refractometer.

Rock and sand should be coming in the next few days and i'll be doing aquascaping then.

Went to the LFS and it looks a little down. All SPS was bleached out and no polyps extended at all. Not a huge variety of choices for fish or corals, but the rest of the corals looked healthy and the fish all looked pretty decent.

Unread 12/14/2016, 10:21 PM   #37
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Got ATO tank installed. Cleaned up wiring, and pushed the tank into the final resting place. Received my red Sea cycling kit, my rock, and sand. Along with a huge thing of super glue which I managed to practically dunk my finger in along with it splashing all over my hand. That was a fun hour removing it...

FTS

Right side arch. Really like this side. Notice the left most rock is a bit shady, should be. Nice spot for some really low light pieces ☺️

Left side, nice little cave network and a great flat piece for when I attempt sps

From the top. A little disappointed with the light spread, but I can't really complain as they were cheap! Im eyeballing the ap700. Don't tell anyone though 🤐

Unread 12/16/2016, 05:25 PM   #38
teddyzaper
Registered Member

She is wet and running! Had a crack in a 90degree fitting, but it was on the emergency so I just shut that off and opened the main all the way to repair. No leaks at all now! Figuring out the ATO and reef keeper, but mainly 😁. It's a huge relief to see it actually working. I love the sand I picked. I'll be starting the red Sea mature kit tomorrow. For now lights are on as per the directions. Gotta figure out the wavemaker setting on reef keeper along with heating probe.

Gotta say, it's very loud. I'll need to work on that. I know it's partly because i haven't started the Herbie yet and just have main fully opened and also the return pump is touching the sump wall. Gotta get some rubber piece for that. Next up is cycle, stand panels, and CUC!

Side note, my red Sea nitrate/phosphate kit came shattered/leaking. Thankfully brs was right on it and the replacement is en route! Great service as always.

Unread 12/16/2016, 07:58 PM   #39
teddyzaper
Registered Member

So looks like light upgrade will be coming very shortly. The amount of light in my house is too much, so looking at a hood + new lights. Suggestions?

Unread 12/17/2016, 05:12 PM   #40
teddyzaper
Registered Member

I went out and purchased a canopy for my tank as the light spread is so annoying at night. $200 at my LFS, jeeze. To make it worse i had the front desk people take it up to my apt and they droped it!

There is a giant dent in the corner of it, that happens to be the most visible corner also. If it was the back i'd only be a little ****ed. Talking to the office monday about getting it replaced. Lets see how this plays out.

On a brighter note, just picked up 2 AI Hydra 26HD used on the for sale section here. Will be replacing these big chinese boxes with them. Anyone want some chinese boxes for a good price, let me know!

Unread 12/20/2016, 11:05 AM   #41
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Very ****ed off right now. As I said, my front desk people dropped my canopy and it's all best up. The corner is crushed in and all the hinges got pulled out. I just figured out today they won't pay for damages. ***!!!! It's a $200 hood and now it looks like junk. Screw that. Anyways now I need to find a way to fix it. The hinges I'll just move to make new holes, but the corner is f***ked.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? If I cant make it look like it used to I'll have to add trim on it which will look stupid.

Unread 12/21/2016, 11:07 PM   #42
jonnyu
Registered Member

Do you have a chop saw ? I'm sure you can make a replacement piece no problem. Is it painted white or white Formica?

Unread 12/22/2016, 08:40 AM   #43
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have a chop saw ? I'm sure you can make a replacement piece no problem. Is it painted white or white Formica?

I live in a tiny apt. So no tools other than the necessary. I'm trying to fill it in by sanding it down and adding wood epoxy. I'm going to repaint the whole thing.

Tank is coming along, I see the first diatoms

And the skimmer is really sucking the gunk out.

I'm getting the new lights today so I'm going to try mounting them in the canopy tonight.

Unread 12/22/2016, 03:52 PM   #44
Charley Diesing
Registered Member

Love the build. Subbed.

What made you go with a 55G?

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless: In the planning stage of next build.
Charley Diesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 03:53 PM   #45
Charley Diesing
Registered Member

I'm considering going with a 40G long. Same tank just 4 inches shorter.

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless: In the planning stage of next build.
Charley Diesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 03:58 PM   #46
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Diesing View Post
Love the build. Subbed.

What made you go with a 55G?
Largest tank during the $1 per gallon sale. I regret it a bit as it's quite skinny, wouldve gone with a 60g made by glasscsages with a stand and overflow about ($700) now that I see how much $$$$ I've put into the equipment.

40g breeder is a nice sized tank if you don't want to go larger. Also they have em at Petco

Unread 12/23/2016, 02:38 PM   #47
jonnyu
Registered Member

Well if you live in SoFlo I can help you out.

Unread 12/23/2016, 02:52 PM   #48
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Quote:
Well if you live in SoFlo I can help you out.

Sorry, with what? I'm in Sunny isles 😁

Unread 12/24/2016, 12:08 AM   #49
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Got new lights, hydra 26HD. awesome lights. Finishing up the hood (repainting and fixing the broken parts). Last coat of paint is drying, the screws to mount the lights come this Tuesday so i'll probably mount the lights then unless i can find another way.

Will post pictures when they go up.

Other notes, looks like my cycle is already finished.

3 days ago ammonia was 1ppm, now 0. Nitrites are hardly readable, may be none as i'm using an API test kit for nitrites. Nitrate hovering around 10ppm. Got a big diatom bloom, but nothing unmanageable for sure. I'll take water to LFS and if they confirm my tests i'll be grabbing some CUC tomorrow.

alk is the only other thing i'm testing currently, which is holding steady at 8.4dkh.

Unread 12/24/2016, 12:12 AM   #50
teddyzaper
Registered Member

Got new lights, hydra 26HD. awesome lights. Finishing up the hood (repainting and fixing the broken parts). Last coat of paint is drying, the screws to mount the lights come this Tuesday so i'll probably mount the lights then unless i can find another way.

Will post pictures when they go up.

Other notes, looks like my cycle is already finished.

3 days ago ammonia was 1ppm, now 0. Nitrites are hardly readable, may be none as i'm using an API test kit for nitrites. Nitrate hovering around 10ppm. Got a big diatom bloom, but nothing unmanageable for sure. I'll take water to LFS and if they confirm my tests i'll be grabbing some CUC tomorrow.

alk is the only other thing i'm testing currently, which is holding steady at 8.4dkh.