Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Reefahholic
Moved On

PVC Primer and Cement- How are they "non-toxic" to fish and corals?

I don't understand! Everybody was so worried about aquarium safe silicone, yet the Primer and Cement used for bonding PVC together is so toxic, you have to wear a 3-M painters mask just to survive the fumes!

Am I missing something here? Every Joint I bonded together, there was excess glue squeezing out into the inside. Doesn't seem to be a way around it. That glue inside your standpipes/drains wouldn't kill your fish and corals?

Somebody please make me understand why It wouldn't or at least tell me I did it all wrong.

Reefahholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 02:24 AM   #2
injektion
Registered Member

i believe that's why you have to wait for it to dry for 48+ hours, so that the stuff is completely dry and incapable of leaking chemicals

this is just my opinion, i have no scientific proof of this lol

injektion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 02:55 AM   #3
Reefahholic
Moved On

Hmm, seems like the water would activate it after being dry.

Unread 03/07/2011, 04:53 AM   #4
C0rp
Registered Member

Its obviously safe or humans would not be using it to plumb their home water supplies with it right?

C0rp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 05:25 AM   #5
that0neguy1126
Registered Member

The solvents in the cement evaporate, and what is left is mostly PVC resin.

that0neguy1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 07:30 AM   #6
gary faulkner
Registered Member

Just let it dry and it will be okay. I think that just about everyone uses this at some point or another.

HTH

Current Tank Info: 300G SPS
gary faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 07:42 AM   #7
ataller
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by that0neguy1126 View Post
The solvents in the cement evaporate, and what is left is mostly PVC resin.
+1

You are left with plastic when its cured.

ataller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 08:37 AM   #8
The Velvet Sea
Registered Member

I've done my fair share of pvc priming and gluing, often starting the system up after just a couple of minutes with no harmful impacts to livestock. I've never been that offended by the odors from it either. Just run some extra carbon for peace of mind.

Last edited by The Velvet Sea; 03/07/2011 at 08:43 AM.
The Velvet Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 08:40 AM   #9
evsalty
hmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataller View Post
+1

You are left with plastic when its cured.
+2 and +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Velvet Sea View Post
I've done my fair share of pvc priming and gluing, often starting the system up after just a couple of minutes with no harmful impacts to livestock. I've never been that offended by the odors from it either. Just run some extra carbon for piece of mind.
I have used it quite fast myself with no harm at all.

evsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 08:47 AM   #10
myaerica
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0rp View Post
Its obviously safe or humans would not be using it to plumb their home water supplies with it right?
Not really,Your water lines are copper,wirsbo or pex piping. Your drain lines that go to the sewer are pvc. Your not drinking from any lines with pvc primer or glue. Its all waste water or vent pipe.

myaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 09:01 AM   #11
billdogg
Registered Member

Don't want to start a war, but here in Ohio there are whole houses plumbed with pvc. (and/or cpvc) Once dried the stuff is ok for potable water for human consumption. Like others, I have smeared it on, jammed it together, and turned the pump on. I will say that the skimmer will go crazy for a little while, but never had a problem with livestock.

JM.02

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 11:02 AM   #12
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

It's funny how far a little misunderstanding of chemistry can go. The PVC glue has a volatile solvent that goes away pretty fast. That's what you smell, and the part that's toxic. After a few hours it's all gone and you're left with PVC resin. Water can't reactivate it because it's not water soluble. Now if you put chloroform on it it will melt. But who doses chloroform?

disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 11:18 AM   #13
noahm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myaerica View Post
Not really,Your water lines are copper,wirsbo or pex piping. Your drain lines that go to the sewer are pvc. Your not drinking from any lines with pvc primer or glue. Its all waste water or vent pipe.
Standard PVC, although not code in many, but not all, areas to use inside your house, is rated for potable water. So is the cured glue. In fact it is used on some of the plumbing at many municipal water supplies. CPVC is used in many homes for hot water supply. I believe the reason regular PVC is not allowed for inside the house plumbing in many jurisdictions is so it can't accidentally get used on a hot water line. In fact, many places have regular PVC from the city meter to the home, so you are in fact drinking that water. PVC sewer and drain is a specific grade of PVC not rated for pressure. Regular PVC is not for waste water or vent pipe, but can be used if you want to spen the extra money.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 11:22 AM   #14
Reefahholic
Moved On

Thanks guys, I feel A LOT better now. Thanks for clearing that up! I do know this, it drys fast and like steel! Ha, you better have ur pipe right, there are no second chances after 20 seconds. I completely messed up 7 pieces last night. There is no getting it to come apart after it sets.

Happy reefing!