Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2019, 07:32 AM   #1
sensei
Registered Member

pumps with wide angle flow??

I have a 470g tank
I need to place pumps in several places in dt
can I know the angle of flow in your pumps?
I see you have a 6255 that says wide angle but there is no info on the actual angle for flow.

I need some pumps with controller to create random flow and others with no controller.

thanks

Unread 05/28/2019, 09:57 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

In this article by Dana Riddle you can see an imaging of the flow with flow velocities, reach and diameter.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/5/equipment

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2019, 03:37 PM   #3
sensei
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
In this article by Dana Riddle you can see an imaging of the flow with flow velocities, reach and diameter.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/5/equipment
Thank you for your answer Roger,

can you give me a degree angle so that it is easier fro me to understand??

I am comparing some pumps of competition and there is one that says that they through flow in a 120 degree angle.

Can I know the angle of the flow in degrees of 6155 and the 6250??

Unread 06/03/2019, 03:42 PM   #4
sensei
Registered Member

Roger,

In addition I need to some pumps to lift detritus on the bottom middle back of my dt and I do not to want to put the pump to low because I do not want to see the cord going to the bottom of dt.

I need a pump with a narrow angle to aim it down to the floor of the tank.

which one would you recommend for these?

Thanks again.

Unread 06/04/2019, 08:39 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The best way to lift detritus will be a wave motion either from a wave box or two pumps in wave mode, nothing can beat this way of suspending detritus into the water column. Short of that the 6105 has the highest velocity flow when used with the narrow housing that is included.

I don't have flow angle data, I am not even sure this is useful or that anyone is making an accurate statement if they give this data, there are so many variables, not least of is that the flow is exiting more like a spinning tornado and on many brands of pumps the flow is hollow, so it has no or little flow in the middle. It has a spin to it and this makes the angle change at any given time. Add to that that many brands the flow is quickly sucked right back into the intake and the flow is not really "wide" but essentially just chaos in a small area around the pump, more like running a blender. If I had to try to state an angle I would say the narrower pumps are 60 degrees and the wide are 90-105%. The 6255 might approach 120 degrees.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 06/04/2019, 08:51 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

You might consider the 6150, it has 3 front attachments that let you change the angle-

If you skip to 2 minutes in you can see the result. If you notice on our pumps, we achieve a uniform wall of flow, not a hollow cylinder of movement, there is also not a waste of flow, where it is just turbulence being sucked right back in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbWWOhjILR8&t=4s