Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2016, 06:39 AM   #101
shelleyBoston
Registered Member

Tank looks really nice..!

shelleyBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 01:22 PM   #102
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Thanks Shelley. I hope over the next month it continues to improve. I have corals to move into the DT. For the display refugium I'm getting some decorative macro algae from Gulf Coast Ecosystems when they come to our local club's Reef Conference in 8 days. I may even visit TBS and get some very live rock.

But for now, getting the system to run right and look good outside in the issue. I had bulkhead leakage issues with the DR (Display Refugium) which was a pain to fix. Then I found the cabinet/stand wasn't strong enough so I massively upgraded that. Then I bumped the pipe glued into a bulkhead when I was setting the tank back on the stand and created a new leak at the bulkhead to pvc pipe. So I coated the joint with JB Weld and it stopped the leak. So I coated it again. Then I took self amalgamating silicon tape and wrapped the join and finally added a hose clamp on top of the silicone tape. That's one joint I'll never get apart again!

So the leak and stand fixed, I water tested and everything seems OK. First here is a shot inside the DR stand and you can see 2 beams, both are made with 2x6's that are glued and screwed together. I also doubled up the side thickness of the stand from 3/4" to 1 1/2". Here is a view into the stand.

Here you can see the 2 beams that run from side to side under the new 3/4" plywood top.

Just for fun I put a couple of leather corals, a few mangrove propagules and 2 clumps of red Gracilaria. Nothing is permanent at this point. I also added 2 Jebao wavemaker powerheads that I've had for years to add more water movement. I also raised the skimmer up 4" in the sump.

There is still a lot to do. The DT stand will get the hinges replaced with slow close hinges and small round white door handles (like on the DR stand) will get added. A white pvc board will get added as a toe kick under the DR stand. The old EverGrow led fixture will be gone tomorrow and a new Reef Breeders Photon V2 16" fixture will get added.

Slowly but surely this project is moving forward. Water parameters are still good. The diatom bloom is still an issue but I'm going to try and let it run it's course. The new macro algae in the DR should help reduce issues in the DT. It just really feels good to have it looking halfway decent and running with no serious issues.

Unread 09/30/2016, 02:08 PM   #103
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Nice Ron! Glad to see things are going good for you and getting things running. The new setup looks super clean!

JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 02:17 PM   #104
reefwars
Registered Member

Good job Ron things are looking great I'll have to up my game to compete lol cheers bud

reefwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2016, 11:28 PM   #105
Oldcabin
Registered Member

You've put a lot of work in Ron!
It's looking great and will only get better from here. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 525XL
Oldcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2016, 04:00 PM   #106
biecacka
Registered Member

Ron tanks are looking great man, these are well thought out set ups.
Where did you get the stand for the refugium from?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2016, 06:38 PM   #107
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm really happy with the way things are progressing.

Corey, we had our kitchen cabinets and counter tops replaced back in February. We got the white cabinets through a local installer, but the cabinets (like everything these days) come from China. So most anybody can buy them. Well, when we decided to go with the CadLight with the white stand, I wanted a spare white kitchen cabinet for the refugium. And just to make matters even more complicated, we got new cabinets to match for both bathrooms as well. But unlike the kitchen which we had done by professionals, I'm doing the bathrooms! I'll be working on home improvement projects until New Years!

BTW, my wife is on vacation this week, we were going to go to the Keys to do some snorkeling. But Mathew and his 150mph winds put a big crimp in that plan. So today, before our winds here on the west side of the state get bumped up, we decided to go to the beach. It was an absolutely beautiful day with flat, clear water. I managed to pick up a handful of BIG mangrove propagules, a clump of very cool looking red macro algae, a small clump of turtle grass and 2 cute little porcelain crabs that are all in the refugium already. It was a great day... but I didn't get snot done on the tank or the home improvements!

Unread 10/04/2016, 10:02 AM   #108
Jah2707
Registered Member

This is the type of builds I enjoy seeing/reading. Something I could see myself doing. Lots of little touches and diy aspects. I just wish I had about 20 pages to read and see the end result right now

Great job Ron and thanks for sharing. I goal is to be where you are in about 35 years.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2575082

Current Tank Info: 24x24x18 cube
Jah2707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 12:14 PM   #109
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

In 35 years you can have mine because I'll be 102 years old!

Seriously, thanks for the kind words. I'm having fun building. Right now I'm kind of splitting my days as 66% on the bathroom rebuild and 33% on the new aquarium set up and 1% on RC!

I did a lot of diy on the old system and even more on the 65g shallow reef work tank. So this time I figured I'd start with nice stuff and try to make it different, better and more fun. I'm looking forward to stocking the refugium with colorful macro algae.

My wife and I were just talking about doing a beach walk Fri or Sat; or my preference, both days! As hurricane Matthew passes by us to the east. I have to admit, I'm still a bit nervous as it's projected path keeps slipping west. We are currently forecast to get 30mph west winds and that brings lots of 'stuff' from the shallows up onto the beaches on Sanibel Island. So I'm hoping to pick up some porcelain crabs, pistol shrimp, maybe a few small serpent stars and who knows what else. In the past we've collected some unusual anemones and now we think we've identified a sponge or two that can survive prolonged exposure to the air as well as surviving in our tanks. Heck, last January I picked up a small shark and walked it back into the water (see photo below)! It feels kind of weird looking forward to a close encounter with a major hurricane. I'll post pictures of any beach walk we do.

Unread 10/04/2016, 12:50 PM   #110
worldbook
Registered Member

nice build. I like the white stand. I'm thinking of purchasing a similar system in the future and am interested in following along to see how your progresses. Thanks

worldbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 01:43 PM   #111
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Thanks worldbook. If you have any questions, feel free to jump in or PM me. I just got my Reef Breeders Photon V2 16" for the display refugium today. I've been working bathroom rebuild all day today. Tomorrow I hope to get some more work done like the toe kick under the refugium stand and get the new slow close hinges installed in the DT stand.

Unread 10/05/2016, 11:53 AM   #112
dickwhitehead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
My wife and I were just talking about doing a beach walk Fri or Sat; or my preference, both days! As hurricane Matthew passes by us to the east. I have to admit, I'm still a bit nervous as it's projected path keeps slipping west. We are currently forecast to get 30mph west winds and that brings lots of 'stuff' from the shallows up onto the beaches on Sanibel Island. So I'm hoping to pick up some porcelain crabs, pistol shrimp, maybe a few small serpent stars and who knows what else. In the past we've collected some unusual anemones and now we think we've identified a sponge or two that can survive prolonged exposure to the air as well as surviving in our tanks. Heck, last January I picked up a small shark and walked it back into the water (see photo below)! It feels kind of weird looking forward to a close encounter with a major hurricane. I'll post pictures of any beach walk we do.
Hope you stay safe and don't get too much bad stuff your way. Walking the beach and finding cool stuff sounds awesome! I'd love to be able to go from the ocean to the tank!

dickwhitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2016, 03:24 PM   #113
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Yeah, and just as I'm starting to feel pretty good about Matthew being far enough away that we will be OK, the spaghetti models are starting to show it looping out into the Atlantic and then back at Florida and crossing the state into the Gulf of Mexico. Now only a handful of models show that, and it a forecast that's 5 or 6 days away... and that's a lifetime in hurricane time! I'm not worried... yet, just keeping my eyes open.

Whenever I get out to do the beach walk, I'll post pics here.

Unread 10/05/2016, 07:34 PM   #114
Bluefish9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
In 35 years you can have mine because I'll be 102 years old!

Seriously, thanks for the kind words. I'm having fun building. Right now I'm kind of splitting my days as 66% on the bathroom rebuild and 33% on the new aquarium set up and 1% on RC!

I did a lot of diy on the old system and even more on the 65g shallow reef work tank. So this time I figured I'd start with nice stuff and try to make it different, better and more fun. I'm looking forward to stocking the refugium with colorful macro algae.

Picked up a little shark myself lol
Stay safe down there. I know its east but it looks like a nasty one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2016, 06:25 AM   #115
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

OK, first things first. Hurricane Matthew passed by far enough to the east that SW Florida had little more than a steady 25mph wind for 24 hours. We dodged a bullet! The bad news was that the west wind wasn't strong enough to blow any good 'stuff' up on the beach at Sanibel Island... well nothing other than a lot of dead fish that were killed by a Red Tide event and were rotting out in the Gulf of Mexico and are now on our beaches up and down the SW coast of Florida. So we did no collecting of anything off the beach.

Saturday was our local club's (SWFMAS.com) annual Reef Conference. The first thing I wanted to do was visit Russ at Gulf Coast Ecosystems and buy some macro algae. I bought 2 kinds of red algae and a small clump of algae that is kind of blue! I also got a Gorgonian that has a thick creamy white stalk and brown polyps. From a couple of other vendors I bought several Acros to start replacing what I lost in the holding tanks after the breach of my old 180g tank. I also won 4 nice sps coral frags with just 10 raffle tickets that cost $2 each. I thought for sure that was going to be just a $20 donation to the club as I wouldn't win anything. What a happy surprise! In the non-livestock raffle, our club does a GREAT raffle; I bought $100 worth of tickets and won over $250 worth of small stuff I wanted. I got 4 bottles of Reef Nutrition, a pair of stainless steel clippers and shears, a couple bottles of pods, a bottle of Aquavitro Fuel, a couple bottles of Vita-Chem and a box of Prodibio BioKit Reef. So I had a wonderful Saturday!

Sunday I did a lot of cleaning in the tanks and set up a frag rack (temporary) in the refugium for the frags that will be going into the DT. Oh, and my 2nd new Reef Breeders Photon V2 arrived and is now lighting the refugium.

Here are a couple current photos.

Unread 10/10/2016, 11:43 AM   #116
dabob79
Registered Member

Wow, what an awesome build! I love the display refugium too, I wish I had the room for one. Following!!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 04:27 AM   #117
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Thanks dabob79. I'm looking forward to doing the aquascaping in the refugium.

I've wanted to wait until I had the doors installed on the stand, but life has gotten in the way and it may be a day or two more. So instead, here's a pic of what the system looks like now the the refugium running and fairly well stocked as well as the 2nd Photon V2 led up and running and the toe kick added under the refugium stand.

Unread 10/13/2016, 03:48 PM   #118
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

OK, so I finally got the doors installed. It took a bit of work with a chisel to set 2 of the hinges about 1/10th of an inch into the vertical bar. It's my fault for going beyond the designers basic design. I added metal threaded anchors in the stand so I could remove and reinstall the vertical braces if I needed to and not worry about wooden threads getting stripped or worn out. Anyway, it's done now.

Now I'll start work on getting the Apex set up, getting longer cords to run from 2 or 3 of the controllers to the pumps at the left end of the tank, add a small white bookshelf between the refugium stand and the wall, get dosing pumps and ATO set up... does it ever end?

Between our local club's Reef Conference vendors (Ed Williams & yandy corals), the live raffle, and 2 local club members, I have a lot of coral frags to add. And I'm getting a mated pair of clownfish for the tank.

Unread 10/16/2016, 08:00 AM   #119
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I've decided to not put some of my bigger fish from the old 180g tank back into the new 125g set up. And I haven't had clownfish for several years, so I decided to get a mated pair. Since my stands are bright white, and our new kitchen cabinets are white, and my Siamese cat who likes to watch the tank is white and orange... here she is looking at the old tank.

So I decided to get a pair of mostly white and orange clowns. They seem quite happy and feeding with the other 2 fish.

Unread 10/18/2016, 12:01 AM   #120
Rython
Registered Member

Wow Ron, every time I check this build thread it gets way more epic! That is a beautiful system. Very cool idea with the display refugium right next to the DT. Just stunning. I'm inspired.

Rython is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2016, 04:07 AM   #121
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rython View Post
Wow Ron, every time I check this build thread it gets way more epic! That is a beautiful system. Very cool idea with the display refugium right next to the DT. Just stunning. I'm inspired.
Thanks man, I appreciate your letting me know. I enjoy sharing what I'm doing because it often gets other people to offer suggestions I would never have thought about.

I still have a ways to go, but for the last couple of days I've been working to finish the bathroom rebuild from the 180g tank flood and getting my 65g shallow reef back up to snuff after ignoring it for the better part of 2 months. In fact I just moved 3 more of the crazy pretty rock flower anemones into the DT. One of these days I'll start doing some close up photos of the stuff in the tanks.

Unread 10/19/2016, 04:28 AM   #122
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I've wanted to run the reef leds with a different custom setting than the refugium leds, but the remote control would change both not just one. They have a way to set up separate ID numbers so you can make them different But I couldn't make it work. Even with 'special' instructions from Logan, the owner of Reef Breeders, it didn't work.

Logan called me yesterday and we discussed the issue of changing the 'address ID' on the new fixtures. It's obvious to us we don't understand the proper way to make that work. Hopefully the people who created the programming will be able to give us way to change the 'address ID' which will make modifying the custom program easier.

But Logan came up with a temporary solution (at least I really hope it just temporary). So now I can run 2 fixtures next to each other and have different custom programs. The sps & lps reef gets a blue and white look for coral growth while the display refugium gets a red, green and white look for algae growth. I'm glad to be able to run different custom programs and I really appreciate Logan's help with this! It makes for an interesting look, don't you think?

Here is what it looks like in the late afternoon when both fixtures are running at midday power levels. I may tone down the refugium some as it is running with red, green and white leds at 100% and the blues and violet at 30%. It was basically just a starter program to see if the 'fix' Logan came up with would work. Certainly not my finished product... at least I don't think it is???

This is that it looked like at 6AM when the lights came on in the dark with the room lights turned off.

This is what it looks like at 6AM with lights on in the room. The reef has just some blue leds lit up and the Refugium has just the red leds lit up.

I suppose now it would be a good idea to take the frag rack full of corals out of the refugium and move it to the reef tank!

Unread 10/24/2016, 07:16 AM   #123
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Two small improvements to my aquarium system.

First I added an overflow collection for skimmer fluids. My skimmer is really touchy about the depth of water and it has overflowed into the sump. So I took a container and added a hose. The CadLight skimmer already had a drain with a plug in the skimmer collection cup.

Second, the CadLight tank came with 4 glass panels that make up a cover for the tank. I won’t use them so Elaine made up a storage bag for them. Of course the fabric is fishy and she even made individual padded slots for each piece of glass.

I've also started adding fish to both tanks from my 65g shallow reef tank which has been over stocked for several months now. I moved a Yellow tank, a Yellow Chromis and a Pajama Cardinal into the reef along with the Indigo Basslet and the small Scopas Tang. I also moved a Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel and a Half Black Dwarf Angel into the display refugium. So far everybody seems to be dealing with things pretty well. The Scopas Tang kind of had the run of the new tank for 2 months and wasn't thrilled with the Yellow Tang moving in. But the Yellow Tang is almost twice the size of the Scopas, so it didn't put up too much of a fuss. The Yellow Tang appeared not to care much at all about the Scopas and things never really got ugly at all, just one small fish being a bit p'd off!

Unread 12/06/2016, 09:20 AM   #124
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

It's been awhile since I've done an update. The new tanks haven't changed much other than the loss of both Dwarf Angelfish. One to unknown causes, maybe old age, and the second due to a new predator in the tank. I do have a new resident in the display refugium (pic below). I also moved the last 2 pajama cardinals and the 4 yellow chromis into the new reef tank so it's pretty full now. The worst thing was the new clowns are gone. One jumped the tank to go tile surfing overnight and a couple of weeks later the other disappeared and hasn't been seen in weeks. I could see a new pair of clowns in my future, but not just yet.

The 65g shallow reef in the back room has changed. I pulled all the fish and corals out along with all the LR (moved it to the sump). Then I bought 25lbs of LR from TBS. It's very alive with lots of sponges, anemones and more. A small (3" long) Gulf Toadfish made the trip from Tampa Bay into my tank as well. But it hides under the rocks all the time so I almost never see it anymore. A coral banded shrimp is the only other resident still in the shallow reef other than some hermit crabs. It's my intention to add just stuff we collect at the beach or when snorkeling in the Keys. Maybe some harder to find (scuba rather than snorkel) stuff from Gulf Coast Ecosystems (Bradenton, FL) or KP Aquatics (Florida Keys) or even TBS (Tampa Bay Saltwater).

OK, so the new member of the family that has taken up residence in the display refugium is a 3" to 4" Red Reef Lobster from Hawaii. I got it from Fishy Business Aquatics in Ft Myers. I also like Fishy Business because right around the corner in the same mall (2 storefronts away) is Bury Me Brewing Co, a very cool little micro brewery! Anyway, Fishy Business sold this little guy and had to take him back. Although online sites say 'reef safe' or 'reef safe with caution' this one is a cannibal and if he can't find enough food, he'll go after small fish or soft corals (ricordea from what the previous owner said). So the store owner, another friend and I, at Bury Me Brewing Co one night after work, agreed that Hannibal was a good name for the little lobster and after he ate a fish in our tank, my wife now agrees with the name. But he's so cute! And now he'll have the display refugium pretty much all to himself unless we find some other crazy critter to add.

Unread 12/06/2016, 06:03 PM   #125
neiltus
Registered Member

cool critter

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592260
neiltus is offline   Reply With Quote