Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2017, 04:16 PM   #1
niranjanbt
Registered Member

Canister Filter for Reef Aquarium

Hello,

I am setting up a new 90 gallon reef tank and would like to know if anyone has been successful in using a canister filter instead of a sump filtration for their system.

If yes, what is your opinion about Hydor Professional 600 canister filter rated for 90-150 gal aquariums?

Thanks in advance!

-NT

niranjanbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 04:55 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

A good quality hang on skimmer is a better choice vs a canister filter system..

These systems don't really need mechanical filtration other than just for water "clarity" (less particulates floating around).. Its more about denitrification,etc... (processing of ammonia into nitrates and then getting those nitrates to be exported out of the tank..

Unread 08/19/2017, 05:04 PM   #3
ggenung
Registered Member

I think that a canister filter does a great job, but only for a few hours. As soon as it gets plugged up (and it plugs up fast, it becomes a nutrient sinc. Coupled with the need to remove from the system, disassemble,clean and change out the filter more than once a week plus the expensive filters you can buy, I don't see it as a positive experience in my past. A circulation pump and a sock filter is a lot easier to keep up with the maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ggenung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 06:47 PM   #4
ccasa004
Registered Member

I ran one for a while but was more trouble than it was worth. I run a hob skimmer and an aquaclear hang on with a sponge, gfo and carbon I find that I clean it more often because it is easyer.

ccasa004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 06:57 PM   #5
doonan75
Registered Member

I started off with a skilter on a 75. Then quickly went to a trickle filter and a small skimmer whitch as soon as I started to stock up the tank I started to get so much skimate the lid of my skimmer would pop off. The best filtration system for me was a home made refugium and one of the original reef octopus skimmers. I broke down the 75 and replaced it with a 40 breeder with the same refugium and a SCA 302 no corals currently but the fish are happy.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

doonan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 07:03 PM   #6
doonan75
Registered Member

Use a HOB overflow. Making a refugium is extremely easy many designs out there. Word of advice use acrylic for the baffles rather than glass. My first fuge I used a 10 gallon tank and glass baffles which worked great but I cut the hell out of my fingers. Glass was easier to cut but acrylic is easier to work with.

Unread 08/19/2017, 07:04 PM   #7
doonan75
Registered Member

BTW my first tank was about 15 years ago.

Unread 08/21/2017, 05:00 AM   #8
Beff
Registered Member

Should canister filters get a bad wrap?

I've used canister filters on fish-only systems with great success. However, my nitrate levels were at a level that would probably be too high for a reef system. But, I'm inclined to also contribute that to flake food and the overfeeding of flake food. And, lapses in good husbandry.

I hear them referred to as nutrient sinks or nitrate factories. Isn't that a good thing? Just clean the darn thing regularly, do routine water changes and let the live rock (or other synthetic porous media) in you DT cultivate anaerobic bacteria for the further breakdown of nitrogen cycle.

Canister filters offer some great features. Here are some of them that I like:
  • The newer generation canister filter offers quick disconnect water lines for easy servicing of the canister. That means you can take the canister over to sink quickly to service.
  • You can run inexpensive floss and change it every few weeks. Overall, this may be easier than changing and cleaning filter socks. The other media in the filter should be rinsed with change water from the DT to preserve the bacteria.
  • These units do a great job with carbon and GFO chemical transfer. No need for separate reactors.
  • The denitrifying bacteria (nitrite to nitrate) is very efficient in canister filters.
  • They cannot flood your home unless there is a line break, which is probably rare.
  • The DT's water level is unimportant regarding performance.
  • They do not cause evaporation or increased humidity in your home.
  • Inexpensive surface skimmer attachments are available (Eheim and Fluval) to keep the scum off the DT's water surface.
  • They are compact and ultra quiet.
  • They seem to run forever (at least the Eheims' do).
  • Their wattage draw is essentially non-existent: cheap on the electric bill and no heat being put into the tank during the summer.
I often wonder that the use of a canister filter with carbon dosing/live rock is the way to go. I wouldn't mind hearing thoughts about this. It sure seems inexpensive and simple.

Jeff

Beff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 10:52 AM   #9
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Do yourself a favor and go with a sump. My .02

Unread 08/24/2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Search my username and you'll see my no sump thread. I ran a modified canister for many years but have recently gone with a sump. No doubt a sump is better but I had a very nice tank without one. Check out my canister mod here. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1959429

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star

Last edited by Frogmanx82; 08/25/2017 at 10:15 AM.
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2017, 10:37 PM   #11
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

I used a canister filter in the 80's on my fish only tank. That was back in the undergravel filter age, before sump with trickle filter and air-driven skimmer which IMO is an order of magnitude better. I sure don't miss cleaning the filter.

Canister filters remove particles well but generate nitrates because they are a great environment for bacterial breakdown. There was also a rumor (never saw proof) that diatom filtering powder releases phosphates.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 07:27 AM   #12
billdogg
Registered Member

I successfully ran a 60g cube with a HOB dual biowheel filter and a canister filter for 22 years, so yes, it can be done. I was able to keep soft and a few LPS corals but had no luck with SPS. Part of that was the lighting (T12VHO), but I'm certain that the insufficient biological filtration played into that as well. I used mine as a combination carbon and biomedia filter. It quickly becomes a PIA to keep it clean, so as mentioned above, IMHO, you'd be better served with a good skimmer (and a sump)

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 04:04 PM   #13
ATATT
Registered Member

Look into Tunze multifilters...very versatile.

ATATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 06:41 PM   #14
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Running two aquaclears, a skimmer, LR, and DSB with under gravel filter, 27 years, nitrate a steady 5ppm, 50ish corals, softy, LPS, SPS, even Acros and Clams. Tank remains clean and free of algae.

If you use a canister for particulate clean up you got to keep it clean.

I swap out the sponge filter every week..

Last edited by Uncle99; 08/17/2018 at 07:15 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 05:39 AM   #15
saveafish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post

If you use a canister for particulate clean up you got to keep it clean.

I swap out the sponge filter every week..
^^^^^ this. Must stay up on cleaning it. Clean it clean it and clean it again. This is number 1 why people moved away from them. LOTS of cleaning.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 09:03 AM   #16
jrill
Registered Member

Yes you must keep it clean. I run an eheim 2211 on all my tanks. Just cleaned the one on my nano reef. Took all of 5 minutes. I can use it as a reactor for carbon or gfo and to expand my bio filter with the right media. If I need a fast bio filter for a QT it's ready to go. Worth the effort for me

jrill is offline   Reply With Quote