Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2018, 12:41 PM   #1
zudnik
Registered Member

RODI wastewater

What do you do with all of your wastewater from making RODI water? My sink runs for 12 hours to make 50 gallons of RODI. That's a lot of wastewater going down the drain, and since I live in town, that's a lot of $. Is there something more efficient I can do? Or what do you do with your waste water?

zudnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 01:10 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Use in laundry machine, water plants, feed dog,etc...
Lots of uses for it depending on your specific situation..
In general though the cost of making your own is cheaper than buying it elsewhere and you just need to accept the cost...

Unread 03/25/2018, 10:43 PM   #3
Opus123
Registered Member

Also, how are you billed? I'm billed in 1000 gal increments so it really makes no difference from a cost perspective.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 12:10 AM   #4
Bayareareefer18
Registered Member

You can obviously use waste water for plants and such but you can also upgrade your system to make it more efficient. I just got the 150 gpd system from brs. It's basically 2 75 gpd membranes run in series. I also got one of the aquatec booster pumps to produce water faster and cut waste water.

The cost of the upgraded will pay for themselves in water savings.

I'm glad I talked to my lfs. I was considering a ro buddie or aquatic life rodi but when they told me they were getting about 4:1 ratio I couldn't believe it. That would have been a huge waste

Bayareareefer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 05:11 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I have a 600+gpd RO/DI system and make water in 40g increments. I get 150 to 200g of reject water (I don't consider it waste water as it's perfectly clean). I collect the reject water in a cistern that holds 240g and use it for the wash cycle when doing laundry. Painless, efficient and saves us money compared to an old RO/DI that made 75gpd and flushing away the reject water!

Unread 03/28/2018, 05:46 PM   #6
Scottedontknow
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
I have a 600+gpd RO/DI system and make water in 40g increments. I get 150 to 200g of reject water (I don't consider it waste water as it's perfectly clean). I collect the reject water in a cistern that holds 240g and use it for the wash cycle when doing laundry. Painless, efficient and saves us money compared to an old RO/DI that made 75gpd and flushing away the reject water!

I hate to thread jack but can you show more of the Ro/di system? How did you get it to run to your washing machine ? I absolutely love that idea!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottedontknow is offline   Reply With Quote