Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2013, 04:05 AM   #6351
Tommyvr609
Registered Member

new to the hobby would like some advice please

hello all,

I would really like some help from you experienced salter water keepers, I have just set up a 31 litre tank i am on week 3 of my cycle i added about 2 kgs of live rock last week i brought a testing kit today API SALTWATER MASTER TEST KIT just wanted to put my results on here to see if its cycling ok

P.H: 8.0
AMMONIA: 0.50
NITRITE: 0
NITRATE: 40

does everything seem to be ok? also have i got enough live rock my LFS said that should be enough but ive been doing alot of reading and i dont think it is any advice

thanks very much

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 883841_10200195601749979_1129647136_o.jpg (54.0 KB, 9 views)
Tommyvr609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2013, 06:04 PM   #6352
Showtime1
Registered Member

hello everyone just started my first saltwater tank and this site has been great for info!

Showtime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2013, 07:10 PM   #6353
chevy4w
Registered Member

Hello...As a kid I had freshwater fish tanks and really enjoyed buying and caring for many different fish. I enjoyed createing the environment for them to live in and it was gratifying when all went well! It was especially nice to sit and just watch them move about.
Well...life got busy(got married,job,raising kids etc,etc,etc!)and aquariums fell by the wayside.
Fast foward 30 years and I asked for an aquarium this past Christmas, which I got. A 38 gallon tank and stand. I immediately set it up and it's going great. But one big mistake I made...I should have set it up as a reef tank. When I was at the local pet center in January I saw a reef tank and it was instant love at first sight!!! I wanted one. And I'm "gonna" have one! I'm not gong to tear down the freshwater tank. Actually from all the research I've been doing it may very well be too small anyway. My plan is to start with a 75 gallon tank which I've yet to buy. As a matter of fact I haven't purchased anything yet. Anyway I have been doing research and a staff at that local pet center suggested I visit this website, which I did and very glad I did. I believe this will be the ONLY place I need to turn to for anything I will need to know about reef tank setup.
Thanks for letting me share a little about where I am in the process.

Unread 03/16/2013, 10:52 PM   #6354
ChrisBWoodysRee
Registered Member

Hello everyone im new to the forum not the hobby been in reefing for 4 years now and breeding picasso clowns from home on the side its all just a fun hobby

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ChrisBWoodysRee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2013, 02:27 AM   #6355
acuario
Registered Member

Hello Everyone

I started with freshwater angel fish as a little kid, and then salt for 15 years. Looking to start again after we moved and sold the tank a number of years ago now. I'm in NW Iowa, if anyone has a nice system they might want to sell? I want to buy quality this time (with a budget). I have two young kids I want to get excited about aquariums. Looking forward to a dialog with you all.

acuario is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2013, 07:19 AM   #6356
CherryBlossom
Registered Member

New to the hobby! & Site

Hello Everyone, My name's Teri!

I'm new to the hobby,

I am currently only 4 weeks into the hobby with my new 29 Gallon BioCube tank, I have 25lbs of live rock in the tank currently, live sand, Sand snails, Three Turbo Snails, Blue legged hermits anddddd because of my friends two tank raised clown fish!

On the side of this new amazing hobby & passion, I deal with my own business in snakes and reptiles! I love the out doors and being active, Also enjoy meeting new people and talking to the ones who love each hobby just as much as i do!

Even though I am only 4 weeks in, I'm loving every minute of it!

Hope to enjoy the forum and learn some great stuff!

Cheers,
Teri

CherryBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2013, 01:45 PM   #6357
Chris315
Registered Member

My name is Chris 26 been in hobby for little over two years. I have a puddle of a tank to most. Just a 55 gallon reef. And a small 10 gallon. Obsessed with lps. I like the odd ball stuff and trying the weird stuff.

Chris315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2013, 01:47 PM   #6358
Kmatt08
Registered Member

Hello all, new to Reef-Central but have been in the hobby for about 6 years, currently running a 30 gallon reef.

Kmatt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2013, 02:16 PM   #6359
Winkler379
Registered Member

New and on a tight budget!!

I am only 15 years old and I just sold my 55 gallon cichlid tank. I have lots of freshwater experience but no saltwater. Where do I start with this hobby with a current 400$ budget. I was thinking about the 29 biocube but I have heard mixed feelings, any help at all would be great.

Winkler379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2013, 08:52 PM   #6360
Bryanlefever
Registered Member

Hey guys, Just joined because I've found a few answers I've had thru this forum by google and thought It was time.
Had some questions about some Scypha sponge.. Didn't know what they were until tonight.

Im a 25 yr old pipe smoker, electrician from metro Detroit with 2 new tanks. A 20 gal fowlr for my son and just started a 14 gal bio cube last month with nothing but live rock in there for now.

I also belong to www.christianpipesmokers.net another forum about.... You guessed Pipe smoking.

Hope to learn a lot thru here, I spend my nights on YouTube for all my answers

Bryanlefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2013, 07:13 PM   #6361
zalmaxiss
Registered Member

Hi everyone, my name is Josh. I have only been reefing for about 9 months and enjoy it so much I am upgrading from my RSM 130 d to a drilled 125 gallon. I have learned a lot from RC from lurking and decided to delve in further and introduce myself.

zalmaxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 06:04 PM   #6362
PescadoraNM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmaxiss View Post
Hi everyone, my name is Josh. I have only been reefing for about 9 months and enjoy it so much I am upgrading from my RSM 130 d to a drilled 125 gallon. I have learned a lot from RC from lurking and decided to delve in further and introduce myself.
Also wanted to say I've lurked around on here the last few days and love this site! Very good information. I'm also new to SW, and have had my tank about 5 months. I've had FW fish a couple years. I want to say to the previous poster, that I went to college at ISU in Normal! How is Normal these days? I graduated back in 1983

Glad to join the site

Current Tank Info: Variety of LPS and SPS, PJ cardinals, Coral Beauty, clownfish, live rock, sump, crabs, cleaner shrimp etc
PescadoraNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 06:52 PM   #6363
Ohheather
Registered Member

Hello. I am new. I want a porcupine puffer. I have a 39 bow front aquarium already. Will do? Also I had a red ear slider turtle in it. How do I clean it? Do I get just one puffer? I have read many websites and they all vary. Where can I purchase one etc with out paying a fortune. What do I need for the tank? What other fish can go in there with the puffer? Pump, filter, heater etc. I have none of that. Thanks in advance for the advice

Ohheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 07:20 PM   #6364
Drescher
Registered Member

Hello!

Hello, I am new to this forum. My wife and I have had various small aquariums set up over the years. We have never done salt water. My wife loves angel fish especially.

Drescher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 07:47 PM   #6365
2noob4u
Registered Member

Hello reefers! I'm new to the hobby and currently have a 30gal rimless reef tank with some decent starter corals, sun, trumpet, zoa's, duncanops, and some ric shrooms. Decent green bubble tip anemone that is currently being hosted by a diamond watchman goby, sun coral is hosted by emerald crabs, and the back boring corner of the tank is hosted by an ocellaris clown.
I have a 125g w/ sump/fuge in the cycle stage and plan on learning more every day.

2noob4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 07:54 PM   #6366
BayouBeard
Registered Member

Hey Everyone

Brand new to the forum and just got the green light from the wife to go saltwater!!!! I've got experience in the freshwater planted scene but I'm a lost ball in high weeds when it comes to the marine world. Just bought a 75g tank and am finishing up the DIY stand. I was all set to do an African Cichlid tank when my lovely wife and I went to our local LFS and she spotted the "pretty zebra fish" (I know right). Anyway...I've got more questions than I know what to do with and don't really know where to start. I DO know that I want to do a FOWLR setup...but that's about all I know ANY and ALL help would be GREATLY appreciated.

BayouBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 08:06 PM   #6367
Pastey
Registered Member

Hi. My name is Brett. I am pale. My nickname is Pastey. I have an addiction to keeping reef pets in glass boxes. I currently have an IM 8 and a JBJ38 "advanced"LED. Bought and started a build on a Marineland 200dd. I have a thread somewhere to show the progression. Anyway, pleasure to be aboard!

Pastey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 08:16 PM   #6368
Doogy
Registered Member

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the saltwater hobby and I think I have an addiction... But thanks to all who have inadvertently helped me already!

Doogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 09:42 PM   #6369
Forshurley
Registered Member

Hi

Just joined reef central and look forward learning and growing with all the great info on this site. I have 75 gallon tank I have had for three months now and love it. I love the calming effect of the tank after a long hard day. I love the colors and the challenge of keeping everything healthy. I love every minute of the countless hours of research on reef keeping ( trying to learn from others mistakes ). I would love for anyone to visit my profile here and make comments on my tank. I know I used the word love redundantly but if you ask my girlfriend she would say " I wish you loved me as much as you do your tank", lol. It's all in good fun and she helps maintain it and listens to me talk about all the stuff I learned. It's funny when she goes to lfs the guys there trip out on how much she can identify corals. I love how much she supports my new found habit!

Cheers!

Forshurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2013, 12:57 AM   #6370
tmcasper
Registered Member

Hey all I've been poking around here for a while now and figured to hopefully start getting involved. I consider myself an intermediate beginner. Started my 90 gallon tank about 7 months ago (my first ever) and I am hooked for life! I have just begun adding a few things other than fish. I purchased 2 zoanthid colonies about 2 weeks ago and a mushroom colony. I also have a condy(?) anemone and 4 fish at the moment. Various snails and hermits round out the cleanup crew. I have gone with a deep sand bed since the start. Had a bad algae problem for a while, so I wound up cooking my rock for about a month and since then things are looking great! I am also quite proud of myself as my anemone got sucked into my power head early on when I first got him and I have been able to successfully nurse him back to health. It's been a long road for him but he (or she looks to be getting stronger every day! That's enough blabbing for now...anyways glad to be a part of the community and I look forward to learning from all of you!

tmcasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2013, 09:56 AM   #6371
MSreefdoc
Registered Member

Hey guys my name is Bobby,
I am from Mississippi. I am currently in medical school (in class as I type) and spend the little extra time I have with wife and kids or tending to my reef tank! I currently have a 60 gallon mixed reef that has been running for a little over a year, and in May/June I will be moving it to a 100G tank. I'm looking for 2 radions and an mp40 for the new tank so if anyone either for sale let me know!

MSreefdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2013, 03:10 PM   #6372
KeithB
Mmmm.. Vodka.

Hey All,

Long time lurker (2005 join date) but first time poster. Got out of the reef hobby about 10 years ago due to a move and kids, but am starting to get the itch again, so here I am to see the advances over the past 10 years.

Keith

KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2013, 06:49 PM   #6373
wen tom
Registered Member

wen tom

OK, I'll tell you what I've got and what I hoped to do. (sorry, didn't copy too well) 200 Watt Heater
75 Gallon Bowfront tank
Custom Sump W/ Refugium
Dimmable Led Lighting, Return Pump
Max height 12'. Max flow 1350
Skimmer
Up to 150 gallons Reef Rock
Per pound 75.00 Sand
Special grade aragonite sand semi fine per pound
Maxi Jet Circulation Pumps
RO Filter
The guy I got it from said there would be no problem with this, what I intended- Some reef, dwarf lion, longhorn cowfish, blue tang, sweetlips, anenome, clown, and a few misc. He is my supplier. Getting VERY mixed reviews. Did all 15 yrs. ago but no reef. Can anyone help?
So far lion, fire fish, goby and dottyback is all I've got. Having trouble with lion eating anything not alive, having a friend care for while we're gone for 2+ weeks in less than a month. No more ghost shrimp. (no live) Dottyback VERY aggressive, no one else gets to come out much. Think I'll just find it a new home. Thanks soooo much.

Last edited by wen tom; 03/20/2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: mistakes
wen tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2013, 06:55 PM   #6374
tim4717
Registered Member

Newish

Hey guys pretty new to all of this. I set up a 46 gallon in college had it setup for about 1/2 a year then moved so I sold off what little I was able to afford at that time. I now set the 46 gallon tank back up a few months ago and am learning as much as I can...

tim4717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2013, 06:55 PM   #6375
wen tom
Registered Member

Did the same! Works very well, I'm new too, but. . . welcome!

wen tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral