Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/06/2015, 01:22 PM   #1
aario
Registered Member

Brooklynella? Need Help Identifying Ailment

I have two new ocellaris clowns in my QT tank right now and the one (pictured) has developed a nasty sore and I can't for the life of me decide what it is. I'm leaning towards Brooklynella but then I think Maybe it's a stress issue?

The clowns we're recently added to my QT tank which is also housing two gobies at the moment. I would really appreciate any help I could get right now.

Also I apologize for the poor quality, these guys are very difficult to photograph close up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1735[1].jpg (27.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1734[1].jpg (25.0 KB, 31 views)
aario is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 03:08 PM   #2
sawellem
Registered Member

Its hard to tell from the pictures you provided but I would say that it IS NOT brooklynella unless he has some other symptoms of Broklynella such as long stringy mucus coming off of him.
Good luck

sawellem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Deinonych
Registered Member

Looks like an abrasion. Is the fish rubbing/scratching against any objects in the tank?

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 03:14 PM   #4
aario
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinonych View Post
Looks like an abrasion. Is the fish rubbing/scratching against any objects in the tank?
Not that I've seen, I'll keep a close eye though.

I'll attempt to get some clearer pictures tonight.

Unread 03/06/2015, 04:10 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

From the way the fish holds its fins I would be concerned he has something like brook, uronema or trichodina. Scratching may be a sign of this but doesn't have to be.

Just yesterday I had the opportunity to see a system with full blown, out of control Brooklynella and Cryptocaryon outbreak at one of the local stores here and hardly any of the fish were scratching. But you could see all variations of other symptoms like clamped fins, heavy breathing, spread of gill covers, white mucus, Cryptocaryon nodules,...
(obviously I didn't buy anything wet there and won't for a long wile)

With a clownfish clamping his fins is always a clear sign something isn't right and brook, uronema or trichodina are the most likely suspects.
The redness of the patch would point towards Uronema marinum.

I would keep a very close eye on him and have the required medications ready to go.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 08:19 PM   #6
aario
Registered Member

Yes I was also looking into Uronema ..at what point would you consider the clownfish to be clamping it's fins? By that I mean do the fins have to be clamped for extended periods of time? I've been watching him from afar and nothing seems out of the ordinary ..fins will go in every once in awhile but not for any length of time. It's also worth mentioning that both clowns have a very good appetite and have since I got them 3 days ago.

Unread 03/06/2015, 10:22 PM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Usually percula and ocellaris have their dorsal (back) fin upright most of the time. In general they rather keep their fins spread - see the percula in my avatar.

It is really hard to explain but if you have seen healthy ocellaris and percula and sick ones you would instantly know what I'm talking about.
Yours just doesn't look well.

I would observe this fish closely and see if it goes away or becomes worse.

In any case I would get prepared to treat the fish.

5 to 15 min freshwater baths can give instant relieve but won't reliably cure velvet, brook and uronema.

Formalin and malachite green are effective against velvet, brook and uronema. Best is to use them together in 45 min baths. After the bath the fish must go into a clean, uninfected tank to prevent reinfection. This is therefore best executed during TTM.

Another possible treatment is New Life Spectrum ICK Shield Powder which is Chloroquine without the need of getting a prescription from a vet. It is effective against velvet, brook, uronema and even ich, but has some risk. Several fish will stop eating and some won't start again after the treatment is over.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 10:27 PM   #8
aario
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your insight ..I will update with results!
(Hopefully positive ones )

Tags
clownfish disease, disease, marine