Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2009, 01:12 PM   #126
jnb
Premium Member

may be because you have yours lower than recommended in the first place

was your rock alive when you started this new tank? You may be way oversized until you continue your population of live - but I would do myself a favor and get this skimmer to the correct depth so you can rule that out

Quote:
Originally posted by fishypets
When I plug it up the mix stops and it's just water however the level starts to lower. I'm positive the black dots line up but it wasn't quite one full turn. Should I start taking the skimmer apart?

The tank is fairly new and the skimmer has been running for over a month.

Thanks for the help!

Clint

Last edited by jnb; 01/22/2009 at 01:27 PM.
jnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 01:16 PM   #127
jnb
Premium Member

- it makes no difference what instrument you use to feed. Many foods if not most will cause the skimmer to halt production for a bit - the newer the skimmer the longer it takes to come back - it is normal. Heck, when I feed my tank, the water flow over into my overflow even changes its personality - it gurgles more.

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilleraz
Also, I've noticed when I feed the tank, the water level inside the skimmer drops and quits skimming for awhile. This doesn't make any sense as I feed with a turkey baster, any ideas? Do I have the water level too high in the sump for the skimmer?

Last edited by jnb; 01/22/2009 at 01:25 PM.
jnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 01:50 PM   #128
fishypets
Registered Member

jnb- The rock was about 90% cured when I put it in the tank. The guy @ kingfish (LFS) said the same thing about the tank being too new and over-skimming at this stage. Hopefully I'll get to work on the sump this coming weekend and that'll take care of it.

Thanks again to everyone chiming in, I really appreciate it!

Clint

fishypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2009, 11:57 AM   #129
Megabite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
Heck, when I feed my tank, the water flow over into my overflow even changes its personality - it gurgles more.
Same here, that's normal. I just got a SM250 for my 180. I was worried that it would be over kill and not do a good job skimming. Thankfully, I was wrong. I can't ask for better performance.

I also found on the SM series that opening the the water intake 1 to 1 1/4 turns from closed works great. This skimmer has only been in my tank for about 3 weeks so it's just breaking in. Everyday that passes it gets better. The water level is about 1/2 from the top of the body before the cone/ neck starts.

Make sure that the intake of the pump is getting the rawest water possible and not receiving any of the water coming out of the skimmer. Every filtering thing you have in front of where the skimmer intakes water (GAC, Socks, etc.) will decrease the performance of the skimmer.

Here's a picture with 2 1/2 days of gunk.

Megabite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2009, 07:59 AM   #130
khoivo1
Registered Member

ok guy ,,i need some help here please...
i got bk300 ext ,,
my question is what is comment problem bk skimmer may have??
i been reading on here and been trying many different way but the skimmer is still doesn't make any skimmate beside making some wet tea ,,for about 6month now,,the bubble pop and pop when it come to the surface ,,,i am about to giving up now so please help me out here,,thanks all

khoivo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2009, 02:56 PM   #132
jthao
Super Saiyan

Quote:
Originally posted by khoivo1
i got bk300 ext ,,
i been reading on here and been trying many different way but the skimmer is still doesn't make any skimmate beside making some wet tea ,,for about 6month now,,the bubble pop and pop when it come to the surface ,,,i am about to giving up now so please help me out here,,thanks all
usually tweeking it back and forth will find the sweet spot. if too wet, just lower the outtake pipe a bit. I have no idea how to tweek an external cuss I run an internal myself, but I'm sure others will chime in.. just give as much details as you can on what your problem is and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Unread 02/02/2009, 12:31 PM   #133
bmilleraz
Registered Member

Can I attach an air tube from my air intake and route that out of my stand, so I can pull fresh air into the system? Instead of recirculating warmer, hot air?

bmilleraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2009, 10:07 PM   #134
jthao
Super Saiyan

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilleraz
Can I attach an air tube from my air intake and route that out of my stand, so I can pull fresh air into the system? Instead of recirculating warmer, hot air?
that's how I have mines.

Unread 02/03/2009, 12:14 PM   #135
Proline
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by khoivo1
i got bk300 ext ,,
Hello Khoi,

Do you have an air meter?

- Albert

Proline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2009, 04:45 PM   #136
khoivo1
Registered Member

No i don't have an air meter ,,,

khoivo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2009, 06:21 PM   #137
AquariumSpecialty
.Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyespinoza
Yup, I like Scott. He's very knowledgeable and no-BS. But yeah, I guess his schedule must cause him to miss a lot of email.
Thanks for the comments Tony and ReefKoi. We are doing our best to answer emails within 24 hours (MAX) during week days. Sometimes we reply within minutes but it really just depends on our workflow and such. I've said this before and I will say it again, I'm probably stupid but my personal cell phone # is listed on the site along with the office line. Again, thank you for your support and comments. Keep em coming .

AquariumSpecialty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2009, 06:38 PM   #138
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Well I cant stand talking to Scott. lol jk. Well because I have a new BK mini 160 on my way!!! Woot. I have wanted one for a while. We will see how it stacks up to the many past performers I have had. I am really stoked about it. I hope its big enough for my 90g reef.

Unread 02/04/2009, 06:41 PM   #139
reefkoi
Premium Member

No problem Scott, I always support you over the big guys anytime I can! I appreciate you beating them on price most of the time as well! This week I scored some XM bulbs from Scott for a fraction of what Marine Depot wanted!

OK now back to the Bubbleking thread

Current Tank Info: A 600gal. on Zeovit & a 240gal.
reefkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2009, 01:57 PM   #140
dobbs
Moved On

If anyone is upgrading from a BK160 to a larger skimmer. Please LMK. My BK180 is asking for a little brother.

Dave

dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2009, 07:28 PM   #141
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

my mini 160 came today. Simply awesome. I have had well over 17 skimmers now. I bought some just to review and have passed them on. I will say I am impressed by the build quality . No instructions or anything included that I could see.

*** found some online and printed tehm off.

Last edited by mojo~; 02/06/2009 at 07:59 PM.
mojo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2009, 07:32 PM   #142
mlb75
Premium Member

OK now that I'm officially a member of the club I feel a little better asking questions. I've had my SM250 running for about a week now and it seems to be a little jeckle and hyde, one minute it'll pull some funk then nothing for awhile. I know I need to be patient but since that's not my strong suite what can I do to get through this quicker or how long should I expect before it becomes the machine I know it's capable of?

The way I have it now it's in pretty consistant 9" of water and the intake is from full close 1/4 turn to the dots lining up plus another 1.5 turns open. To get any kind of skimate though I have to have the outlet closed ~65-70% doesn that sound normal? Also this is nowwhere close to a low nutrient system at the moment...

Any other reccomendations as to how to get it running full strength?

Thanks

BTW this definitely the nicest skimmer I've ever seen right down to the rubber feet to isolate vibrations etc amazing build quality!

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless planning ~90G nano
mlb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2009, 09:52 PM   #143
Jflip2002
Eagles & Tigers Fan

I'll be the newest member soon enough! I bought the mini 200 from "TheReefKeeper". Hopefully I have better luck with it than he has had.

Current Tank Info: 40g Breeder
Jflip2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2009, 08:24 AM   #144
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

MLB as you will see after some more Beak in time the skimmer will become more steady. While it sheds the production oils and such it will become stabil. Foods and water top offs ect will make the skimmer lose foam head quickly while breaking in.
I would not worry just yet give it some time. Also if you dont have an air meter might want to look into one. IMO

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2009, 08:26 AM   #145
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Mojo, Finnally decided to try BK out?
Welcome to the darkside. You will now judge everything on the quality of a BK.
I found the only other skimmer i want is another BK.

Unread 02/07/2009, 10:37 AM   #146
mlb75
Premium Member

Are the evil production oils mainly in the pump or are they on the body of the skimmer?

Unread 02/07/2009, 01:37 PM   #147
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Yea I couldnt take thinking I have tried and reviewed most every popular skimmer out there. I am impressed by te build quality and how quiet it is. It seems to be skimming pretty well for only being 12 hours in.

Unread 02/07/2009, 01:39 PM   #148
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Honestly I can hear it over any other sounds my tank makes. I ll be sure to write a revie on it shortly.

Unread 02/07/2009, 06:58 PM   #149
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Mlb not only in pump, But the majority is in the acrylic. Let those bleed out. Usually takes a good month to free 100 percent of them. Youre skimmer should slowly improve every day over the next couple weeks.

Unread 02/07/2009, 08:58 PM   #150
mlb75
Premium Member

good to hear thanks I'll just wait and see.

How far do most have the exit pipe closed? It seems mine needs to be about 3/4 closed to get anything does that sound normal?