Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

O.S. Dying. Please help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5SD...ature=youtu.be

MY O.S. is unresponsive to any external stimuli. He is twitching his pereiopods and undulating his pleopods but otherwise motionless. I can even lay him on his back and he will remain still, but twitching. Salinity is at 1.026 and has not changed, nitrates at 20ppm, no ammonia or nitrites, no shell rot.

I have been holding off on feeding him frozen food for a little over a week as he had stopped attacking live foods and i wanted to get him back on a hard shelled diet.

Can they starve in this period of time?

Mr. Manty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

:/ best I could suggest is put him in a dark place so he won’t feel exposed, I’d try to see if he will take any food...

I think they can go a few weeks without food

Puffer, octopus, and mantis shrimp fanatic!
Hadla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 08:46 PM   #3
hikarishadow
Registered Member

I'm so sorry. I really hope he pulls through. Dim lights, add good carbon, maybe a polyfilter, making sure there's gas exchange, having your water tested tomorrow at the LFS for anything more obscure than you have at home, and a few small water changes with the safest water you have access to.

hikarishadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2017, 10:46 PM   #4
Shabalaba
Registered Member

I agree with above posts..put it in a safe place, turn off lights, and give it a little while. They can go a couple weeks without eating.

Shabalaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

He passed away. Don't know the cause.

Unread 11/27/2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

sorry to hear that

Puffer, octopus, and mantis shrimp fanatic!
Hadla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2017, 08:21 AM   #7
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

Might have been the salinity getting high. Turns out my hydrometer measures things a few points below what my refractometer measures. Salinity could have reached 1.030.

Unread 11/29/2017, 10:04 AM   #8
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

Dr. Roy Caldwell told me that what the peacock was experiencing was neurological and most likely due to some kind of poisoning. I do not recall ever spraying anything in the vicinity of the tank. Maybe somebody else did without my knowledge.

Last edited by Mr. Manty; 11/30/2017 at 10:44 AM.
Unread 11/30/2017, 07:58 AM   #9
Loganberry
Registered Member

Gutted for you pal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loganberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2017, 08:23 AM   #10
Vmazz
Registered Member

I’m sorry.

Vmazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 10:19 AM   #11
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

Guys get this...

a few weeks later after 3 70% waterchanges i obtained another peacock. Same symptoms, dead within the week. I have just been taking a breather from peacocks in the meantime as i rattle my brain with what could be happening. No nitrogen cycle issues whatsoever. Maybe there is something that is slowly dissolving in the water?

Unread 01/19/2018, 04:06 PM   #12
hikarishadow
Registered Member

Did you perhaps purchase your tank used? If so, it could be something like a copper treatment in the tank from the previous owner that's leeching out. I'm so sorry for the luck you're having. It's so heart wrenching to watch these guys suffer.

hikarishadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 10:59 AM   #13
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarishadow View Post
Did you perhaps purchase your tank used? If so, it could be something like a copper treatment in the tank from the previous owner that's leeching out. I'm so sorry for the luck you're having. It's so heart wrenching to watch these guys suffer.
No it was a new tank setup by me. It had been running just fine for 6 months prior.

Unread 01/24/2018, 08:39 PM   #14
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Manty View Post
Guys get this...

a few weeks later after 3 70% waterchanges i obtained another peacock. Same symptoms, dead within the week. I have just been taking a breather from peacocks in the meantime as i rattle my brain with what could be happening. No nitrogen cycle issues whatsoever. Maybe there is something that is slowly dissolving in the water?
I'm going to chime in here because this raises my suspicion...

Quick question: who did you buy them from?

The last two O. Scyllarus I've purchased arrived in the exact same conditions you're describing, curious if it was the supplier mishandling them.

- 1 confirmed male, 1 not 100% sure but think male also.
- Both Metallic green
- One got the short acclimation (float 15 mins, water changing the bag with tank water a few times, right in.), the other was picked up 2 hours earlier then arrival at the storage center, and received the 2 hour drip acclimation.
- The one that got the short acclimation held on 15 hours before confirmed death. The one that got a 2 hour acclimation died within the hour.
- Both of them arrived with damaged raptorial appendages, with the "dagger" parts broken off.

Parameters were good, and the tank that both attempts failed in housed a perfectly healthy G. chiragra (who was moved) prior to them, and right now houses a lobster, dec. crab, and CBS for about a month so far.

Last edited by Calappidae; 01/24/2018 at 08:47 PM.
Calappidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 05:58 PM   #15
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calappidae View Post
I'm going to chime in here because this raises my suspicion...

Quick question: who did you buy them from?

The last two O. Scyllarus I've purchased arrived in the exact same conditions you're describing, curious if it was the supplier mishandling them.

- 1 confirmed male, 1 not 100% sure but think male also.
- Both Metallic green
- One got the short acclimation (float 15 mins, water changing the bag with tank water a few times, right in.), the other was picked up 2 hours earlier then arrival at the storage center, and received the 2 hour drip acclimation.
- The one that got the short acclimation held on 15 hours before confirmed death. The one that got a 2 hour acclimation died within the hour.
- Both of them arrived with damaged raptorial appendages, with the "dagger" parts broken off.

Parameters were good, and the tank that both attempts failed in housed a perfectly healthy G. chiragra (who was moved) prior to them, and right now houses a lobster, dec. crab, and CBS for about a month so far.
Only the second one arrived with any damage. It can't be a coincidence that he died with the exact same symptoms.

Unread 02/14/2018, 12:22 PM   #16
OrigamiRobot
Registered Member

I just had a very similar experience with mine. Monday she stopped taking food (frozen shrimp). She would grab it, fiddle with it for a minute, then throw it out of her burrow.

Tuesday, she took a piece and held on to it all night, but didn't eat it.

Wednesday morning she was out of her burrow in the middle of the tank motionless, but twitching a bit. I tested and my nitrates were over 20. The past Saturday when I did my weekly maintenance, they were 10.

I did a 20% water change and left for work hoping to come home to some good news, but when I checked at lunch, she had passed. There was some uneaten food in her burrow from when she was just holding it Tuesday night.

I got her from YourFishStore.com and had her just under 3 weeks.

I don't know if the high nitrates were the result of her not eating or if they were the cause. I thought she was getting ready to molt, so I didn't think anything was wrong when she stopped eating, but now I wish I had tested that day.

OrigamiRobot is offline   Reply With Quote