Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2006, 07:21 PM   #1
Shagsbeard
Registered Member

Coralife Super Skimmer initial review

I just got my CLSS 125 and hooked it up on the side of my tank. It's only been running a few minutes so no skimmate is done yet, but let me give you all some initial impressions.

I need a sump. No question. Skimmers were not designed to be hung on the side of your tank. If you are planning to use this skimmer, get a sump first. The pump is a monster that hangs down into your tank... the bubble difuser too... it's unsightly to say the least. At least the device is designed in an appealing way. It's going under the tank ASAP though. I'm going to have to plumb the skimmer on the outside of the sump since my cabinet under my tank hasn't got the headroom needed to put it in the sump itself. Having the device part of it in view isn't a problem. Having all that equipment hanging in my tank is.

It's quiet. Compared to my Prism I can already tell I'm going to get more control, and better performance, without even seeing a bit of gunk. The sound it does make is almost soothing. Being able to see the bubble chamber is kind of like those cut away model machines I made as a kid so you could see how things work.

Edit: Oh! The bubble diffusor that hangs in the tank is spewwing salt spray all over... tiny spray but it's going to add up to a salty mess. Nothing I can't clean up, but it's another reason this baby isn't going to be on the side of my tank for long.

Shagsbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2006, 07:50 PM   #2
splateee
Registered Member

There is a huge post floating around about this skimmer. There are a few mods that you can do to it. I have a CSS 125 and did a few mods to it including the mod that removes the bubble diffuser box. It works great and i get plenty of skim from it.

splateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2006, 08:07 PM   #3
Shagsbeard
Registered Member

I already have modified it... I've placed a screen over the bubble trap so that the spray hits the screen. I'm sure there are many other more complex inventions to improve on the original design.

I'm already planning how to plumb it into a sump. It shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

Shagsbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2006, 10:34 PM   #4
familyreefer
Registered Member

skim

I got the 220 model....LOVE IT!

Current Tank Info: 220gal reef
familyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote